Does it annoy you to manage your boot drive?

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
So guys, I'm thinking of getting an SSD for my desktop computer. It is an Intel i5-750 and only has SATA 3 Gb/s. Now, these are my options:

1.) A 120GB boot drive with a fast controller for $60-90 (depending on controller and new/used).
2.) A 64GB caching drive for $50 AR (OCZ Synapse with Dataplex).

I know that a boot drive gives a faster and more consistent experience, but I am concerned about having to manage the files on the drive. So if you have a boot drive, please, tell me your experience. Does it annoy you to have to manage the files on your SSD? In hindsight, would you rather take a small performance hit if it meant not having to manage your files?

Thank you kindly everyone.

I moved my libraries and steam folder to an HDD. Other than that, I've never had to manage anything.

Same here. I have a 128GB drive and never worry about managing anything. I do make sure my downloaded files are cleaned up once in a while and my torrents to straight to my HDD's

I dont manage anything it just works. And all my downloads goes too my HDD's like posted above.

No bother here - 128GB is enough for W7, the Office suite, the CS6 suite, LR4 and a few miscellaneous programs with plenty of spare space. Downloads go to the server/another drive.

margin margin margin. don't overcomplicate with caching software or strange controllers, this increases risk of trouble. don't run a full disk, this increases the risk of trouble. buy an ssd with up to 2x the space you think you need. unless you're poor then do whatever

I've never had a problem with it. At work all of our servers are setup with a boot vd or partition and separate data drives so maybe i'm just used to managing things that way.

I like managing stuff. Even the games I play are about managing a faction or an empire !

I have an ssd in every machine I own. I also run ssd's in every new computer at work. Besides occasionally mapping a few folders on a few machines, no action is necessary. I don't get why everyone has the misconception that ssd's are so complicated. Just throw it in and go.

No bother here - 128GB is enough for W7, the Office suite, the CS6 suite, LR4 and a few miscellaneous programs with plenty of spare space. Downloads go to the server/another drive.

Same here for me. I have all that software (and more) in my PROGRAMS (C) partition. I have about 40 GB free out of the 120 GB total SSD size. For me, the key is to keep no "real data" on the C: drive. Instead, I have always kept "regular data," music, photos, etc., in separate partitions, so I'm free to move around partitions between different physical HDDS without any issue.

Back