Does [H] need to be (yet another) avenue for scalpers to profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyboxer

Limp Gawd
Hello all. Long time forum reader, this is a newer account to change my name, previously d3v0.

Since demand has driven a wave of scalpers into the shops to turn a quick buck on $399, $499, and $699 MSRP parts, we’ve seen markups of several hundred dollars by resellers all over reddit, eBay, craiglist and and the like.

For nearly a decade I’ve browsed [H] classifieds, and sold, purchased and exchanged computer parts as this is a place with high quality members who you can trust.

Lately, there has been a massive influx of people selling the latest hardware at +$200-300 markups. Many sellers have started to list items at these scalper rates with no explanation for their price hike.

There is reddit, ebay, and Craigslist as avenues of sale for such people. And buyers who desire to pay $300 over MSRP to have a graphics card or cpu, then they are also aware of those other avenues available to them.

It’s discouraging and disorienting to click so many new [H] posts in the for-sale forum and see the same garbage scalping that you see on reddit and craigslist.

Please consider requiring that sellers who wish to use the long-standing goodwill and reputation of [H] to post their items, to cap their price at MSRP + sales tax. Thank you.

Josh aka Greyboxer

Hello all. Long time forum reader, this is a newer account to change my name, previously d3v0.

Since demand has driven a wave of scalpers into the shops to turn a quick buck on $399, $499, and $699 MSRP parts, we’ve seen markups of several hundred dollars by resellers all over reddit, eBay, craiglist and and the like.

For nearly a decade I’ve browsed [H] classifieds, and sold, purchased and exchanged computer parts as this is a place with high quality members who you can trust.

Lately, there has been a massive influx of people selling the latest hardware at +$200-300 markups. Many sellers have started to list items at these scalper rates with no explanation for their price hike.

There is reddit, ebay, and Craigslist as avenues of sale for such people. And buyers who desire to pay $300 over MSRP to have a graphics card or cpu, then they are also aware of those other avenues available to them.

It’s discouraging and disorienting to click so many new [H] posts in the for-sale forum and see the same garbage scalping that you see on reddit and craigslist.

Please consider requiring that sellers who wish to use the long-standing goodwill and reputation of [H] to post their items, to cap their price at MSRP + sales tax. Thank you.

Josh aka Greyboxer
uhh... no. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Instead of creating a new account you could have just emailed and asked them to change your username. I've done it a few times myself.

Yeah i agree with OP there should be no place for this here in my opinion. It may not go against the current rules but sure seems to be against the spirit of this forum.
Then the people of this forum should refuse to do business with the scalpers that pop up here. Telling sellers how much they can list their stuff for is asinine, not to mention being a huge pain to moderate.

Then the people of this forum should refuse to do business with the scalpers that pop up here. Telling sellers how much they can list their stuff for is asinine, not to mention being a huge pain to moderate.

Well clearly people on this forum are paying the scalpers because stuff is selling so that is not a solution. You do make a very good point about moderation.

While most on FS forum are nice sellers you will find scalpers.
Use the ignore button. Problem solved.
I put miners in that category. Not going to buy a video card used to death, they can take it as a loss from me.
Just ignore them.

I started a thread in the Video Card section about the same thing. I just think as a trader who has been [H] for over a decade and done lots of trades it’s a shame. But it’s a shame three fold. First on the manufactures for releasing cards they clearly know they can’t supply, second on the complete ridiculous price of Bitcoin and finally the scalping. I have never ever tried to sell items hundreds of dollars over cost on the forum. It’s sacrilege plain and simple. It’s just my opinion but if we allow it people seem to keep flocking to the forum to sell this stuff. Pretty soon we aren’t much different than eBay.
I also agree that it can’t be moderated but maybe we can let comments fly by the mods for the scalping threads maybe that is a happy medium.

Scalpers are the scum of the Earth. Especially sad to see it here on the [H], to scalp to your fellow [H]ard brother is pretty low. We should be in this together, and help each other, not making a quick buck off flipping a computer part. Sure that's fine to do to a stranger on Craigslist, but we should have some honor and team play here.

I did a trade last month of my eVga RTX 3080 Ultra, which was w/Tax like $800 or so out of pocket, I used it for a month, and then found the Gigabyte white version I wanted even more, so I sold my eVga 3080 to a computer buddy for how much? $800. yeah in my area last month, I could have gotten $1200 to $1300 for it, but a sort of friend guy I know, who's a major tech geek asked to buy mine, and he's tight on cash, so I sold it to him for pretty much same price I paid for it, plus like $25 or so, he's very happy, and I'm happy to help him out.

I then bought the Gigabyte Vision RTX 3080 for $1,000 from a freind of a freind of a friend, really LOL. And the sticker price w/Tax from newegg was like $969 or so, brand new in unopened box. I paid $30 extra for it, comapred to buying it direct from Newegg myself.

But one thing I just thought of, lets say we did it the right way ,sell a computer part for near same price you paid for it, not being a tool douche and marking it up, but lets say there is some schmuck here that will buy it, and then flip it themselves elsewhere to make quick ca$h. That would be super bad.

If you like to be a scumbag, then use E-bay or Craigslist, but not the [H]

Gotta get thick skin and ignore it all... the scalpers...the pity parties...the begging for freebies to supposedly help someone in need...and whatever other f'ing excuse that goes on there 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back