Does GTX 750 Ti support hardware HEVC 4K 10bit decoding?

wildpig1234

Limp Gawd
Trying to build a HTPC . want to use the most efficient card. can anyone tell me if the GTX 750 ti support 4K 10bit HEVC hardware decoding? or do I need to get a gtx 950?

I almost do actually think about the 950 because it has a lot more outputs and includes the hdmi 2.0 for 4K TV. But if I don't plan on connecting to a 4K tv and just to a 1080p projector, then having the ability to do hardware 4K 10 bit HEVC decoding would still be nice for playback of files even if you can't display the whole 4K.

If someone who has this card and can verify if it support hevc 4K 10 bit hardware decoding under MPC-HC. I would much appreciate. thanks.

Last edited:
Good point. But I am wondering for the purpose of a htpc, how would rx 460 be compared to 950. a new 950 right now can be bought for $130. The 950 would have 1 HDMI 2 and 3 DP 1.2 and 1 DVI.

The rx 460 looks like it doesn't have more than 3 outputs with 1 DP 1 HDMiI and 1 DVI for $110. If the HDMI is 2.0, this card would be the ideal htpc since it's single slot, doesn't need a power connector being sub 75 w. Does anyone know if the HDMI on RX 460 will be HDMI2? I am assuming since it's DX 12 class it would have 4K 10 bit hardware decoding?

Trying to build a HTPC . want to use the most efficient card. can anyone tell me if the GTX 750 ti support 4K 10bit HEVC hardware decoding? or do I need to get a gtx 950?

I almost do actually think about the 950 because it has a lot more outputs and includes the hdmi 2.0 for 4K TV. But if I don't plan on connecting to a 4K tv and just to a 1080p projector, then having the ability to do hardware 4K 10 bit HEVC decoding would still be nice for playback of files even if you can't display the whole 4K.

If someone who has this card and can verify if it support hevc 4K 10 bit hardware decoding under MPC-HC. I would much appreciate. thanks.
The GTX 750 SE has HEVC support. The GTX 750 Ti does not.

Nvidia PureVideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GTX 750 SE has HEVC support. The GTX 750 Ti does not.

Nvidia PureVideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having a bit of trouble finding gtx 750 SE... is that like a real rare card? I mean if it's that rare, not sure if I can find it.

So I guess for the price point of 110-130$ with DX 12 and HEVC hardware decoding for Htpc, it's between rx 460 and gtx 950? Anyone got anything else better or worth consideration?

The gtx 950 has more outputs and better multi display supports but use more power and lack HEVC encoding (not as big of a deal for htpc). The rx 460 is slightly cheaper, use less power and also single slot, but has less outputs and also have both HEVC decode and encode........ Guess it will come down to if I need more outputs . I am kinda leaning toward rx 460...what you think?

Not sure if I want to wait for gtx 1050 and 1040 since we don't know if they will really be retailed for $110-130 given how much 1060 costs

Last edited:
Having a bit of trouble finding gtx 750 SE... is that like a real rare card? I mean if it's that rare, not sure if I can find it.

So I guess for the price point of 110-130$ with DX 12 and HEVC hardware decoding for Htpc, it's between rx 460 and gtx 950? Anyone got anything else better or worth consideration?

The gtx 950 has more outputs and better multi display supports but use more power and lack HEVC encoding (not as big of a deal for htpc). The rx 460 is slightly cheaper, use less power and also single slot, but has less outputs and also have both HEVC decode and encode........ Guess it will come down to if I need more outputs . I am kinda leaning toward rx 460...what you think?

Are you going by the number of connections on the pictured models out so far or is there documentation somewhere that the 460 can't handle as many displays as other cards? It might be worth waiting a couple of weeks just to see what cards are released for the rx 460.

I think it's an OEM only card. I'm not really sure. I made an mild attempt to find one before and came up empty.

I guess it all comes down to what you're using the HTPC for. I just ordered up a GTX 1080 for mine and I don't play games. :ROFLMAO:

In your case, I'd suggest waiting for reviews on the 460 or 470 before deciding

I think it's an OEM only card. I'm not really sure. I made an mild attempt to find one before and came up empty.

I guess it all comes down to what you're using the HTPC for. I just ordered up a GTX 1080 for mine and I don't play games. :ROFLMAO:

In your case, I'd suggest waiting for reviews on the 460 or 470 before deciding

you really have 1080 for htpc? wow that's like complete overkill :)....

I am thinking of waiting for the rx460 b/c once in a while I might need to do some hevc encoding or ripping of dvd and BD to x265 files for on hardrive storage and play back. The rx 460 just seems like it's better for htpc since it also uses less power and is single slots. I probably won't need the extra 2 DP connectors now thinking about it.

No it doesn't. Maxwell 2 hevc is not 4k and it doesn't fully do it in hardware, ie. not 100% support. There are threads on this... hmm let me see if I can dig em up.

you really have 1080 for htpc? wow that's like complete overkill :)....
Well, I ordered it. I don't have it yet. I'm currently using a R9 380. I want more graphics processing power for madVR.

I am thinking of waiting for the rx460 b/c once in a while I might need to do some hevc encoding or ripping of dvd and BD to x265 files for on hardrive storage and play back. The rx 460 just seems like it's better for htpc since it also uses less power and is single slots. I probably won't need the extra 2 DP connectors now thinking about it.
AFAIK, the encoding is mostly for streaming your gaming. It's not very high quality for the bitrate, or at least hasn't been to date.

No it doesn't. Maxwell 2 hevc is not 4k and it doesn't fully do it in hardware, ie. not 100% support. There are threads on this... hmm let me see if I can dig em up.

No, Maxwell GTX 960/950 supports 4k HEVC in hardware. It's the only Maxwell chip that does.

The GTX 750 Ti supports 4k h.264 decode, but no HEVC.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the RX 460 as an HTPC card, as the performance is touted by AMD's marketing material to be slower than a GTX 950 (they say 20-30% faster than R7 260x). Power consumption should be similar as well, since you can buy bus-powered 950 cards:

Asus:

ASUS GeForce GTX 950 DirectX 12 GTX950-2G 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

MSI, choose the OCV2 version

Amazon.com: MSI Computer Video Card Graphics Cards GTX 950 2GD5T OC: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I ordered it. I don't have it yet. I'm currently using a R9 380. I want more graphics processing power for madVR.

AFAIK, the encoding is mostly for streaming your gaming. It's not very high quality for the bitrate, or at least hasn't been to date.

That sucks :( was hoping to use it for some hevc encoding from BD. Is NVidia Pascal any better for hevc encoding?

That sucks :( was hoping to use it for some hevc encoding from BD. Is NVidia Pascal any better for hevc encoding?
AFAIK, none of the hardware encoders are all that good. Certainly not on par with the slower command line encoders like x264/x265. You can always try it and see what you think.

AFAIK, none of the hardware encoders are all that good. Certainly not on par with the slower command line encoders like x264/x265. You can always try it and see what you think.

This right here. They can match the CPU encoder in quality level, but they will take a higher bitrate to do so. Not so optimal if your broadcast has a bandwidth limit.

No, Maxwell GTX 960/950 supports 4k HEVC in hardware. It's the only Maxwell chip that does.

The GTX 750 Ti supports 4k h.264 decode, but no HEVC.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the RX 460 as an HTPC card, as the performance is touted by AMD's marketing material to be slower than a GTX 950 (they say 20-30% faster than R7 260x). Power consumption should be similar as well, since you can buy bus-powered 950 cards:

Asus:

ASUS GeForce GTX 950 DirectX 12 GTX950-2G 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

MSI, choose the OCV2 version

Amazon.com: MSI Computer Video Card Graphics Cards GTX 950 2GD5T OC: Computers & Accessories

NV hevc on the 950/960 isn't full, no b-frames, no 10bit on the encode. And there's hardly any apps that will support nvenc, mainly for gui os' its staxrip. It really is still early days. The best PQ is still cpu encoding though it takes ten tiems the time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Might want to wait for the two new AMD cards to come out as the 750ti has gotten old and should be replaced with a Pascal equivalent. The RX 460 should be in the same price range as the GTX 750ti and a huge upgrade to boot. The RX 460 and 470 have launch dates of August 4th and 10th with the 460 coming last.

Here is some more information.
AMD Radeon RX 470 and Radeon RX 460 official specs and performance | VideoCardz.com

The decode block on the Polaris chip is quite behind in terms of support. Also power consumption tends to be quite awful when using it. As in 40W area.

power_bluray.png

4K Bluray is a 128Mbit stream or so, so while there may be support. Its also important to make sure the bitrate is supported.

Last edited:
The decode block on the Polaris chip is quite behind in terms of support. Also power consumption tends to be quite awful when using it. As in 40W area.

power_bluray.png

4K Bluray is a 128Mbit stream or so, so while there may be support. Its also important to make sure the bitrate is supported.

hmm, so would you recommend that I go with gtx 950 then?

I guess we can forget about GPU hevc encoding for now..

Its probably the best and only real option if you want to do hw encoding. Download staxrip, google some threads on it and off you go. There are caveats, PQ is not as nice but it is way fast. The AMD solution is great, better on paper but it doesn't mean much until their is real app support. I dunno much about Pascal's hevc, but imo it would be safe to assume it will match AMD's Polaris.

actually gtx 950 and 960 doesn't have any encoding only 980 and 970, but 980 and 970 doesn't support decoding. F; up isn't it?

So for something with both encode and decode, only Polaris and pascal will do both... but what we are saying here is that the hardware encode of both pascal and Polaris are suboptimal for now? ;( ...

I mean from the above graphic, does it mean that rx 480 will use more power to decode hevc 4k than 950? but rx 460 is supposed to be sub 75w so it should use even less power for hevc decode than rx480 but question is would it be lower than 8 watts in the 960? seems like amd are not as power efficient decoding hevc. in which case I might just then have to go with 950...?

actually gtx 950 and 960 doesn't have any encoding only 980 and 970, but 980 and 970 doesn't support decoding. F; up isn't it?

So for something with both encode and decode, only Polaris and pascal will do both... but what we are saying here is that the hardware encode of both pascal and Polaris are suboptimal for now? ;( ...

I mean from the above graphic, does it mean that rx 480 will use more power to decode hevc 4k than 950? but rx 460 is supposed to be sub 75w so it should use even less power for hevc decode than rx480 but question is would it be lower than 8 watts in the 960? seems like amd are not as power efficient decoding hevc. in which case I might just then have to go with 950...?

No, you have that backwards. Maxwell 2 aka 950/960 have hw x265/hevc encoding. Maxwell 1 970+ do not have encoding, but instead decoding. I can't see what graphic is above so I assume its from a poster on my ignore list and for good reason lol. As I wrote above, right at this moment only Maxwell 2 is really supported in gui os' like windoze using stax. On linux you have more options but I'm not really into that scene. There are other forums more into this stuff. Personally I switched to a 6700K for the quicksync encoding, it cuts my encode time by over a 1/3 rd while consuming helluvalot less power vs my 3930K with all six cores pegged lol. Thus moving to anything hw will save a lot of time and power usage, though consumption is not really a concern for me. It's the length of time saved that's important to me at least.

No, you have that backwards. Maxwell 2 aka 950/960 have hw x265/hevc encoding. Maxwell 1 970+ do not have encoding, but instead decoding. I can't see what graphic is above so I assume its from a poster on my ignore list and for good reason lol. As I wrote above, right at this moment only Maxwell 2 is really supported in gui os' like windoze using stax. On linux you have more options but I'm not really into that scene. There are other forums more into this stuff. Personally I switched to a 6700K for the quicksync encoding, it cuts my encode time by over a 1/3 rd while consuming helluvalot less power vs my 3930K with all six cores pegged lol. Thus moving to anything hw will save a lot of time and power usage, though consumption is not really a concern for me. It's the length of time saved that's important to me at least.

I think you are confused regard to what Maxwell 1 and 2 is. GeForce 900 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maxwell 1x are the 750. Maxwell 20x are the gtx 9xx. Only GM206 (gtx 960 and 950) support full fixed function hardware HEVC decoding. GM200 ( gtx 980ti and TitanX) and GM 204 (970 and 980) support HEVC encoding but only partially support hevc decoding..
See this: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gt...226-abhijit-patait-high-performance-video.pdf

I think you are confused regard to what Maxwell 1 and 2 is. GeForce 900 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maxwell 1x are the 750. Maxwell 20x are the gtx 9xx. Only GM206 (gtx 960 and 950) support full fixed function hardware HEVC decoding. GM200 ( gtx 980ti and TitanX) and GM 204 (970 and 980) support HEVC encoding but only partially support hevc decoding..
See this: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gt...226-abhijit-patait-high-performance-video.pdf

Yea, technically, but I consider the 950/960 to be a revision and it is a revision because the chips are internally different with Nv adding more features.

Again you are getting the specifics of the features wrong. That's what I'm trying to point out.

The 950 and 960 both hardware encoding and decoding.

There is not enough data to know much about Polaris or Pascal in regards to hevc encoding. Encoding relies on the apps designed to take advantage of the hw, and until more apps can do that we just don't know. However, being improved revisions of the design, THEY SHOULD DO IT BETTER.

GTX 1050 should launch soon as well. Perhaps look at that as well. I wouldn't go with a 950 at this point.

No, you have that backwards. Maxwell 2 aka 950/960 have hw x265/hevc encoding. Maxwell 1 970+ do not have encoding, but instead decoding.

Maxwell v1 is GTX750 and 750TI. Maxwell v2 is 900 series cards. They just got a difference video decoder in the GP106 vs the GP104 and GP100.

GTX 1050 should launch soon as well. Perhaps look at that as well. I wouldn't go with a 950 at this point.

Yeah but I don't trust 1050 to be anywhere near $110-130 or if even available given how much 1060 is so far.

I think we can expect the same 1 DVI, 1 HDMI 2.0b and 3 DP 1.3/1.4. Would be nice if it's sub 75 watt with no power connector needed and single slot but I doubt it.

Originally I was leaning toward Polaris rx460 but if it's so inefficient at hevc 4k decoding and using 40watt compared to like less than 20watt over idle in 950, I might as well just go with 950. not sure how much lower power 1050 can be over 950. Maybe additional features such as lossless codec, 8K, etc? But at least for the 4K 10 bit HEVC decoding 950 probably will do just fine compared to 1050.

Yeah but I don't trust 1050 to be anywhere near $110-130 or if even available given how much 1060 is so far.

I think we can expect the same 1 DVI, 1 HDMI 2.0b and 3 DP 1.3/1.4. Would be nice if it's sub 75 watt with no power connector needed and single slot but I doubt it.

Originally I was leaning toward Polaris rx460 but if it's so inefficient at hevc 4k decoding and using 40watt compared to like less than 20watt over idle in 950, I might as well just go with 950. not sure how much lower power 1050 can be over 950. Maybe additional features such as lossless codec, 8K, etc? But at least for the 4K 10 bit HEVC decoding 950 probably will do just fine compared to 1050.

Nvidia is coming with a sub 75W card very soon. The 1060 in laptops is 65W btw, just to show where it can go.

if you only want movie play back, you could also just get a Kaby Lake IGP in a NUC or so.
FanlessTech: EXCLUSIVE: Kaby Lake / Apollo Lake NUC specs

So it looks like gtx 1060 use like maybe 7-8 watts playing BD while rx480 use 39 w. that's a huge difference. even 960 only use 8 watts. so 950 prob same. maybe will wait a little to see if a mini 1050 will come out soon. rx 460 prob will still draw sign amount of power over NVidia cards.

Rumors are 1050 in December so if you want to wait it will probably be a while.

Rumors are 1050 in December so if you want to wait it will probably be a while.

Don't think I can wait that long. was hoping for a single slot gtx 9xx but I guess that's not available. The closest thing to that is unfortunately Quadro m2000 which is single slot and based on Maxwell gm206 but cost too much

Buy a D9800 broadcast decoder. We do HEVC in hardware. Only will cost you ~100k after licensing, too!

I'd go for the Rx 470 or GTX 1060, unless you want to wait for the 1050.

Note that the hardware HEVC encoding in the GPUs are subpar (I tested it. Cannot release data as it is proprietary...)
It doesn't seem to support the decoder buffer model properly. Mind you, most consumers won't care :)

Buy a D9800 broadcast decoder. We do HEVC in hardware. Only will cost you ~100k after licensing, too!

I'd go for the Rx 470 or GTX 1060, unless you want to wait for the 1050.

Note that the hardware HEVC encoding in the GPUs are subpar (I tested it. Cannot release data as it is proprietary...)
It doesn't seem to support the decoder buffer model properly. Mind you, most consumers won't care :)

I am looking for decoding acceleration as primary and encoding as secondary consideration. right now seems like rx 460 is the cheapest hevc hardware decode card at $110. will see if NVidia will lower 950 price even more. 950 has the positive of having a lot more outputs than rx460. but I am hoping to see a single slot rx 460 soon which will give the advantage of single slot and no power cable.

rx 460 still seems to use more power than 950 when doing video decode and multimonitor even if the max power and idle is lower.

Back