Does FRAPS introduce any fps penalty or lag?

Mike89

Gawd
Was curious about FRAPS. Does using it introduce any fps penalty or stuttering or lag to a game?

Last edited:
Was curious about FRAPS. Does using it introduce any fps penalty or lag to a game?

not sure if your serious?

but if you are then hell yes it does. kicks your fps right in the balls unless you have some decent hardware, and are running a game at manageable settings.

I think they meant for checking framerate, not for recording. If that's what you meant then no it doesn't for the most part but I have had problems with a few games that didn't like it.

so for screenshots and frame rate recording it doesn't introduce a performance hit?

I can't say for sure about screenshots but I've never seen it use more than a negligible amount of processing power for checking FPS.

not sure if your serious?

I was serious. I don't use it but have heard about issues with it like a performance hit, ie stuttering, lag etc. I was mostly referring to using it as a fps counter. Some people are so fps conscious they can't run a game without FRAPS running and have to see fps all the time. I'm not one of those who gets caught up in fps numbers, it's just a distraction for me and I don't need a screen telling me what I already know (if my game is running the way I like or not). I was just curious if running it could have effects in the game as I mentioned.

I was serious. I don't use it but have heard about issues with it like a performance hit, ie stuttering, lag etc. I was mostly referring to using it as a fps counter. Some people are so fps conscious they can't run a game without FRAPS running and have to see fps all the time. I'm not one of those who gets caught up in fps numbers, it's just a distraction for me and I don't need a screen telling me what I already know (if my game is running the way I like or not). I was just curious if running it could have effects in the game as I mentioned.

oh, ya if your recording its an issue, but if you just a fps counter you will be fine. I should have been more clear.

hence why people love the new ShadowPlay feature in Nvidia drivers...apparently it doesn't introduce any performance penalty for recording video during games

Back