Does Firefox 5.01 run really SLOW?

Joe, I understand your pt. But if you scroll back up to post #36, another person "Vasta" has the exact same problem. And regardless about the little issue, the other day is the 1st time I use Firefox 5.

On my reliability, there is a no. of red X, but I was re-installing a no. of new software after I restore my mirror image, so it is to be expected

I just loaded firefox 5 to my netbook, single core atom with 1gig of ram.. holy crap its slow :eek: Imma start looking into alternatives for sure

No kidding. I have 12 cores and it's still slow. And whenever I'm downloading via newsleecher, I keep getting connection lost, an error that I never get in my ver 3.6

To top it off, I just switch to ver. 4, same thing. But here's the fun part, I can't see a difference btwn. 3.6 vs. 4.

Last couple of weeks have been painfully slow...enough that I think I'm going to be switching to Chrome as soon as I update my OS images on both my PC and Mac.

I haven't noticed anything horrible, but I use a messy combination of 4 browsers (IE9, Opera, Chrome 12, & FF5) for work, so I may simply not be using FF enough to notice, however...

Now that you mention it, I do seem to notice some lag in a lot more website than usual. PC Gamer's site is painfully slow. Granted it usually is regardless which browser Im using but it seems to take longer to pop up now than before or wth Chrome or IE9.

I'm sticking with Firefox 5.01 since 6.0 beta breaks some plugins and 7.0a2 beta (Aurora) broke all the plugins especially Session Manager. I was using 7.0a1 before.

Not to state the obvious, but perhaps that is why they are called.... beta's ? ? ?

After years of using nothing but FF ...For the last 2 weeks I had nothing but crashes I tried so many damn different versions ..

I'm taking Chrome for a test drive :eek:

I'm taking Chrome for a test drive :eek:

Same here. Firefox has just been laggy lately no matter how I change or default the settings, sites load blazing fast, but navigation is more sluggish than it once was. Chrome is just really smooth, navigation is very quick, sites don't load as fast, but it's good for now.

I found replacements for all of my extensions except a few which happen to be very important ones, and some of the ones I did find don't work as well. So I'll keep both, FF as my Sumo Wrestler and Chrome as my sleek reader. For now.

Well that was a short run for me. Chrome is very fast on facebook but everywhere else it is noticeably slower compared to a tweaked firefox. I'm going back.

FF seems as fast as the previous version, though I did notice every now and then when I click on a link or a bookmark, nothing happens, and I have to click it again.

Still early to tell, but think they may have finally fixed the favicon issue. It was more an anoyance than anything though.

Give Chrome a shot. I used to use FF but I've been very happy with Chrome, it's lighter, faster, and has plenty of extensions. It's also more secure.

I am running into this install of 5.01 version of firefox as well. It appears slow and laggy as hell for no reason! Firefox 7.0+ is much better. Even better still is chrome. Glad to hear its not just my pc. I thought it might be a virus or other malware. I should add that my problem sounds just like the OP issues with firefox.

Last edited:
I'm starting to have issues with FF 5.01. I get flashing button's on the toolbar and the browser overall just feels clunky. I hope 6.0 cleans things up.

Haven't noticed any differences in speed, but they need to do something about that memory usage. I caught it using 3.5 GB of memory today.

screenwx.png

7's biggest improvement so far is reduced memory. and version 8's 2d performance is as quick as Chrome 14s.

I've been running portable 6 and it's blazin quick. The only site that pisses me off with Firefox is Facebook. Anytime I click check mail or notifications there is a very long delay.

Haven't noticed any differences in speed, but they need to do something about that memory usage. I caught it using 3.5 GB of memory today.

*snip*

Just a handy tip: if you hold the Alt key while pressing PrintScreen, it will capture only the current window to the Clipboard which you can then paste into any image editing app, including Paint. That way you don't get all that extra "white space" like people do, even when using the Snipping Tool (which I find utterly useless, personally). Whatever window is active and has focus gets captured by Alt+PrintScreen.

What the hell are you guys doing?

I've ran Firefox 5 on all kinds of machines and have yet to see any of this "slowness". It's not perfect by any means, but it isn't slow at all. Hell, it's not even my main preferred browser (I jump between Chrome and Safari), but come on. I feel like Firefox became really popular and now software hipsters have to hate it (insert made up reason here).

Memory usage is a different matter, however.

For the last 3 years I've deleted IE Icons on just about any machine I've loaded for friends and family and installed FF

FF is still on my main comp waiting for fixes to happen

I know it's not the OS this install is less then 2 months old and I was having the same problem with FF when I had vista loaded

It slower than Chrome. May be flash make firefox slow, so install block flash plug-in.

But not for much longer. not counting 2D/3D performance increases 7 is around 10% faster than 5 and 8 is 10% faster than 7. 2D/3D rendering is 20% faster in 8 and Javascript is 15% faster. Most testers have seen 8 to be as fast as Chrome 14, and 2D performance faster than chrome.

I got tired of how slow it was and switched to Chrome. for me it works better.

Those having issues with FF 5.01, was that on upgrading over old versions or clean installs? I clean installed FF on my 3 computers and dont have a single issue to report.

Back