Does Dark Messiah lag your system?

Astrogiblet

[H]ard|Gawd
The rig in my sig is lagging horribly with this game. Does this happen for you guys? I had all my settings turn up high, so then I turned them to the recommended settings, and it still lags like hell.. I think its my CPU.

What about you guys? Does this game own your system?

It ran fine on my system when last I ran it. I had an Athlon64 3700+ with 2gb Corsair XMS DDR400 and a GeForce 7900 GT. No lagging that I recall, with settings turned up pretty much to the max, but without AA. I have an x2 4800 now, but I haven't played it on this CPU. My guess is that FX is fine.

Hmm.. I just turned every single setting to low and it ran fine (didnt look any different either -- weird).. however after about an hour it started lagging again.

Astrogiblet said:
Hmm.. I just turned every single setting to low and it ran fine (didnt look any different either -- weird).. however after about an hour it started lagging again.

It's a memory leak. I'm not sure if you're running the steam release or not, but both versions are packed with bugs. Make sure you update it to the latest patch.

Even after the latest patch they still have massive problems...

quadnad said:
It's a memory leak. I'm not sure if you're running the steam release or not, but both versions are packed with bugs. Make sure you update it to the latest patch.

Even after the latest patch they still have massive problems...

Hmm.. weird. That game is just amazingly awesome. Its sad that it has so many bugs. I installed off a CD, but it installed into Steam. It has stayed updated through steam, is there still a patch I need to install?

I have 2gb's of RAM, you would think that would take quite a long time to fill up..

Also, I quit the game when it started lagging, went back in, and it was still lagging.. Do I need to restart my machine to get rid of the memory leak? Or defrag my RAM or something?

Astrogiblet said:
Hmm.. weird. That game is just amazingly awesome. Its sad that it has so many bugs. I installed off a CD, but it installed into Steam. It has stayed updated through steam, is there still a patch I need to install?

I have 2gb's of RAM, you would think that would take quite a long time to fill up..

Also, I quit the game when it started lagging, went back in, and it was still lagging.. Do I need to restart my machine to get rid of the memory leak? Or defrag my RAM or something?

If you're running it through steam it'll be patched up. As for the memory leak, I'm not positive, and you'd have to check out the steampowered forums. Does the game run significantly better when set to "high" instead of "very high"?

quadnad said:
If you're running it through steam it'll be patched up. As for the memory leak, I'm not positive, and you'd have to check out the steampowered forums. Does the game run significantly better when set to "high" instead of "very high"?

It doesnt run better at any setting. That includes VERY high, high, and completely low. I have defragged my RAM twice. I noticed that when I'm running dark messiah, 20% more of my RAM is being used. But 44% is still free.

Start looking into what other programs are running in the background like an errant antivirus scan or something similar.

well at idle 18-22% of my CPU is being used. By System Idle Process and Firefox.exe.

Right now I have firefox, aim pro, and Steam open.

Astrogiblet said:
It doesnt run better at any setting. That includes VERY high, high, and completely low. I have defragged my RAM twice. I noticed that when I'm running dark messiah, 20% more of my RAM is being used. But 44% is still free.

Check your drivers, but to be honest there are an unbelievable amount of things wrong with the game. I'm just not that surprised, and I wish I could've gotten my $$$ back.

I wish I can run the demo, it freezes when it's loading at the beginning before I see any type of menu.

Astrogiblet said:
The rig in my sig is lagging horribly with this game. Does this happen for you guys? I had all my settings turn up high, so then I turned them to the recommended settings, and it still lags like hell.. I think its my CPU.

No, no lag, but it's the most buggy game I have ever played. I don't remember a single time I load it up, played for a few minutes/hours and then exited normally. It always crashes during the game, while loading the game or when loading the main menu. "Trying" to play Dark Messiah, is the most frustrating experience I ever had, in my gamer life. The developers, distributors or whomever released this game, before sorting all these bugs out, should be sued. I mean, we pay for this crap and we can barely play it.

I defragged my hard drive using diskeeper and that didnt help. I'll try the steam defrag though.

This is aggravating, because this game is so kickass. I have the latest 8800 drivers, which is probably an issue on its own. Between the 8800 and this game, I'm not sure which is more buggy.

Luckily I got this game "free" with my eVGA video card..Its so fun, I just wish I could play it for more then 20 minutes at a time.

Astrogiblet said:
I defragged my hard drive using diskeeper and that didnt help. I'll try the steam defrag though.

This is aggravating, because this game is so kickass. I have the latest 8800 drivers, which is probably an issue on its own. Between the 8800 and this game, I'm not sure which is more buggy.

Luckily I got this game "free" with my eVGA video card..Its so fun, I just wish I could play it for more then 20 minutes at a time.

Yeah, I was so unbelievably excited when it was scheduled to arrive that I bought the preorder over steam for $50. The first tutorial mission from the demo ran beautifully at full settings, and then all the billions of issues happened. To cut the story short, I wish I could have my money back.

It's a pity, because as I play through parts of the game now (when it doesn't crash) I'm not going through it with a fresh perspective; I'm still grumpy about having paid $50 to play launch day then now when I can finally play it it's 30% off.

That's weird. I ran Dark Messiah without a hitch. No crashing, no memory leaks, in fact... it ran really, really well on very high.

Thats weird for everyone, because my game runs perfectly fine, no crashes, no problems, just this damn lag. And the lag is completely random. Sometimes 2 minutes into the game, sometimes over an hour in. Other then that I have no problems..

But it sucks, because the 2 minutes to an hour I get to play is freaking fun, great story, everything.. Argh.

Thats my favorite part...it works for many people, but just not the many people posting on steampowered or the Arkane forums. In fact, I lent my steam account to a friend of mine when I found out I couldn't even play it until the first patch was released, and he came back to me saying that he was loving it! No problems at all on his side, which made me feel awesome.

Anyway, as awesome as the game is, my experience with it was seriously tainted. I'm kinda bummed about it, but I suppose it is what it is.

Nate_MachV said:
That's weird. I ran Dark Messiah without a hitch. No crashing, no memory leaks, in fact... it ran really, really well on very high.

Same with me on a GTS...

Dark Messiah ran perfectly on my system, both my purchased copy and my friends cracked copy. My friend's copy wasn't running well on his machine so I tried it and it worked fine for me.

Fun game. :)

-Rannoch

Athlong 64 3700+ @ stock (939)
x800 GTO^2 @ xtpe speeds/unlocked
2 GB ram

Edit: I ran it on maxed settings other then resolution which was set to 1152x864.

I have played it twice now all the way through on my sig system,and never had any of the problems others have mentioned at all,ever.I got a copy free with my card on DVD.

Astrogiblet said:

I dunno what's wrong with your rig, but yours is way better than my AMD 64 3200 +, 1 gig Corsair 2,3,2,5 DDR, 7800 GTX, and 80 gig Raptor.

I run mine with medium settings, which is higher than their "recommended," at 1600 x 1200, and it runs fine.

Harkamus said:
I dunno what's wrong with your rig, but yours is way better than my AMD 64 3200 +, 1 gig Corsair 2,3,2,5 DDR, 7800 GTX, and 80 gig Raptor.

I run mine with medium settings, which is higher than their "recommended," at 1600 x 1200, and it runs fine.

Read the thread. :)

Astrogiblet said:
Read the thread. :)
Ahso. Misread the thread. Hehe. To answer your question, it doesn't lag my system. Everything seems normal. Starting up he game is a tad slow, however. That might just be Steam though. Dark Messiah is my first game that runs off the steam client.

I'm running everything on High settings 2xAA 8xAF with my laptop and it runs quite well. No memory leak in my game but the occasional wierd lockup when exiting the game. (laptop is a Intel Yonah T2400, 1 Gig ram, Radeon x1800)

Back