Does D-Link DIR-655 have loopback?

dandirk

[H]ard|Gawd
Just seeing if anyone knows if the D-Link DIR-655 support loopback?

I have servers running on my lan and I forward the ports so I can access them from the internet. Well the DNS names I have for these servers only work from the WAN and not from my inside LAN because my Netgear RP114 doesn't support loopback...

Anyone doing something similar with a DIR-655????

I would rather get a new router that supports loopback instead of manually editing HOSTS files on all my LAN PCs... Not to mention it would be nice to replace my router and wireless AP with one unit...

Most devices that perform NAT don't do what you ask, and you usually have to do some trickery with internal DNS resolution to get past it which I don't know of any of the consumer grade routers that do such a thing. I personally do this using dnsmasq on my OpenBSD router I'm using so that it translates the external IP to a specific internal one. How ever if your ports get forwarded to different hosts then you're out of luck there too.

You can use split horizon DNS. That way hosts within your LAN will be given the local IPs, hosts outside of it will be given the external IPs.

Thanks for all the responses...

I would rather avoid running a personal DNS service, and I don't think dyndns.org my DNS provider offers Split Horizon DNS.

I also would like to avoid running a software router, just another thing to maintain. Hardware routers are so easy to use.

Though I do know some routers do have the loopback feature. The Dlink DGL-4300 added it in Firmware 1.02 The DIR-655 I think is based off of similar chips so I was hoping it had the feature as well.

I guess I will have to give BestBuy some cash (though I never buy from them) so I can pick one up and return it if loopback is not available.

Just to help anyone in the future...

The D-Link DIR-655 router does support loopback

Just to help anyone in the future...

The D-Link DIR-655 router does support loopback

I have some problems with this. Can you clirify that?
I setup dyndns.com account for my.gotdns.com.
I have internal network and server with the same name.
I setup gotdns.com as internal domain name and I cant access my server by my.gotdns.com. I had linksys router with 3rd party firmware and this worked fine.
How did you do that? I have several computers on local network and don't want to play with hosts to arrange dns resolutions, I think router should be able to do that.

Thanks in advance!
Leo

I have some problems with this. Can you clirify that?
I setup dyndns.com account for my.gotdns.com.
I have internal network and server with the same name.
I setup gotdns.com as internal domain name and I cant access my server by my.gotdns.com. I had linksys router with 3rd party firmware and this worked fine.
How did you do that? I have several computers on local network and don't want to play with hosts to arrange dns resolutions, I think router should be able to do that.

Thanks in advance!
Leo

Actually I want not loopback but a correct DNS resolution from the LAN. I have mydomain.gotdns.com domain with dyndns, what should I do to force router do correct resolutions from the LAN? This worked great with my old linksys router with hyperwrt.
I want to refer my computers inside LAN as mycoumputer.dyndns.com. Is it possible?
I have server on LAN which I assigned name mydomain.gotdns.com and did all port forwarding needed for this server to be accessed from the WAN. Is it possible at all? Or I have to use hosts?

Thanks!
Leo

Back