Does anyone still play Quake 1?

I know it is so extremely old. But does anyone still play? I have had some weird inclination to get it to work on my Win 7 box and start fraggin' old style again.

I play singleplayer from time to time. Still holds up pretty well IMO, and the soundtrack is Trent Reznor's best work.

I just finished playing through it on my DS a few weeks ago.

Quake 1 should just work on windows 7, it does for me. That game is just so well made, it just keeps on kicking without having to fudge with stuff. Can't even say that about some games make in like 2005.

I'd love to play through it again...make sure you install GL Quake!

I play every now and then as well and it's still fun and quite hectic at times.

Try it with either the Tenebrae or DarkPlaces mods for some eye candy.

did some dm at our last lan. still looking for good multiplayer packs that don't make newer players rage. also I need to find the three wave pack that uses those huge flags and not the crappy keys. also: offhand grapple. I miss you offhand grapple....
Posted via Mobile Device

I didn't get into PC gaming until after Quake and Doom. I loved Quake 2 though...and Unreal Tournament was a blast and Quake 3. For some reason, I can't get into Half-life after playing Half-life 2...someone convince me to play it.:p

I didn't get into PC gaming until after Quake and Doom. I loved Quake 2 though...and Unreal Tournament was a blast and Quake 3. For some reason, I can't get into Half-life after playing Half-life 2...someone convince me to play it.:p

First half-life is way better! consider yourself convinced

DirectQ. DirectX 9 Quake port. Totally authentic (well, more or less). You can even knock texture filtering back to nearest-neighbor with mipmapping and flick on square particles for that retro software Quake feel.

I still play it from time to time, specially QWTF. Yes, it runs without any issues under W7 with EZQuake.

I play Quake2 a bit with kmq2 but not Quake1.. the drab green and brown textures in Quake1 I didn't really care for... Quake2's environment was quite a nice leap in the right direction..

I liked HL2 better then HL1 *hides.*
I consider the characters in HL2 to be the most well done characters in any FPS.

Half life 1 is a fantastic game though and needs to be played through at least a couple of times. It is one of the games that set the stage for the modern FPS.

I've got a copy of Quake 1 on my shelf at all times, ready to be played.
Still have a copy of Q1 in the wrapper too. No box though :(

DirectQ. DirectX 9 Quake port. Totally authentic (well, more or less). You can even knock texture filtering back to nearest-neighbor with mipmapping and flick on square particles for that retro software Quake feel.

ooo I'd like to see some screenshots of this. Where can you get quake now that it's open source? Is there a legitimate way of obtaining it? I lost my Q1, Q2, and Q3 discs a long time ago....

I always liked the setting of Quake 1...especially with the music and sound effects. Obviously they'll never go back to that, but I wish someone would revisit that type of thing more often.

Does this have multiplayer over interwebs?

Quake 1 is very cool. Don't forget about the hidden levels. One of the few games that never needed a patch. And yes go for glQuake if your video card will run it.

The engine is open source. I believe the assets are still proprietary.

That's the status for Quake3, at least - openArena is an update of the q3 source, but with free maps and textures. (It's also a good alternative for an oldschool quake LAN game. While much newer than q1, it still feels very much like an old id game, in a good way.)

Is Quake 1 still played online?

Quake 1 was aesthetically more pleasing then Quake 2 but the latter had better level design and i liked the guns better. They were heavier and more satisfying to use, IMHO. I never liked the wimpy style used in Quake 1 and Quake 3.

There was a mod called Western Quake 3. That was way before Call of Juarez or Red Dead Revolver. I remember following it while it was in development, but I never played it. Must of got side tracked into playing other games before it went live. Forgotten all about it until I peeked in this thread!

I never played Quake 1, but I have the cd case and disc for Quake 2. I have Quake 3 as well.

I take that back! I have played Quake, but it was on the N64 not PC. Yeah Trent Reznor's music was really great, fit the mood and the game perfectly. I was really big on FPS back in those days. I had Goldeneye and Turok 1 then I picked up Quake. Played the snot out of all 3, lol.

Last edited:
I always found the original Quake to be an odd game. The gothic feel of it just seemed strange sandwiched between the sci-fi of Doom and Quake II. That said I think I appreciate it more now than I did back then. I still remember using the Cujo mod. That bot made SP a lot more fun for me.

There was a mod called Western Quake 3. That was way before Call of Juarez or Red Dead Revolver. I remember following it while it was in development, but I never played it. Must of got side tracked into playing other games before it went live. Forgotten all about it until I peeked in this thread!

It was a pretty fun mod for LANs - Quake 1-3 including the various mods in general were greats LAN staples.

I mean, I periodically play Quake 1's SP, but it's way too much of a hassle to find servers/people to play Quake 1...amazing game, though. Loved the deathmatch back in the day (even on my lousy 56k connect...and the fact that I was a 6 year old trying to compete online :p)

I play Quake 2 from time to time and Hexen 2

haha Hexen was the shit..

I played the crap out of Quake 1 but I got into PC gaming as Q3A was popular. I loved the Urban Terror mod, it was awesome. I remember I got into a beta that was Q3A but browser-based. Anyone hear anything about that?

I played the crap out of Quake 1 but I got into PC gaming as Q3A was popular. I loved the Urban Terror mod, it was awesome. I remember I got into a beta that was Q3A but browser-based. Anyone hear anything about that?

Quake Live - it's free to play online.

God Q1 - Q2 - UT was such a golden era that has been lost. So many innovative mods and maps.I think the big thing was maps. Tons of maps and most high quality. Now we have games that will not even release an SDK for ages. Look at how long Valve now takes to release SDKs for games. Very few games these days even have modding. Just kind of sad.

Urban Terror was great.

My first love was Action Quake 2.

It just sucks that the modding scene has died down a bit. Yes there are still mods but it seems like very few actually gain traction.

I wish I could go back to Team Fortress. That was the best mod EVER. I used to play so much since I didn't have shit to do in middle school and I go to be one of the best snipers in the game.

Back