Does anyone still make them like they used to?

I am tinkering with the idea of selling my MacBook Pro, now that I'm getting a Yoga 260 through work. OSX did nothing for me, and while I loved the hardware, it's 2.5 years old, and it's got 14 cycles on the battery. It just doesn't get used.

I'm thinking that, if I do this, I'd like to build another tower. My previous systems over the past decade have either been Chenbro SR10769 based servers, mini-ITX cubes, or thrown together hodgepodges.

The only things I have to put towards a new tower are a 24" monitor, and a couple SSDs. Everything else is starting from scratch.

And everything apparently sucks now. I can't find any interesting cases that I hadn't looked at a decade ago, or wouldn't touch in a thousand years.

I've had a TON of cases.
Lian Li PC60, PC61, PC65, 7323b, v2000b, PC42
CoolerMaster ATC-111, ATC-111B, ATC-410, Praetorian, Preatorian (black)
MountainMods U2-UFO
Chenbro SR10769 , Genie, NET, Ultra, Junior

But these days? I can't find anything that's simple, refined yet unassuming, and yet not full of glaring flaws (like ports on the opposite side of where I sit, or a window slapped on it).

Something like the Lian Li PC-Q10 would be great, but the window ruins it.

Silverstone has a case that might fit my needs, but I want something longer than the SG05 chassis I just gave up. And, I'd honestly prefer something in aluminum to steel/plastic.

I'm not opposed to MicroATX, although I'll have a motherboard, 2 sticks of RAM, a 970 (I'm guessing), and 2 SSDs. I don't need anything big, I won't be watercooling, overclocking, etc. I just want as minimalist a machine as possible.

Last edited:
maybe you'll like silverstone fortress ftz01 black or alu colour... i have the black one, bought it over the silver one because it works great and is understated (black always works), not flashy at all, and looks very well constructed... in youtube there's this guy that makes some very light "review" but is useful to appreciate the looks of it
.... and you can look for minilake skywalker (name of the build) in pcpartpicker ... very nice looking case with pretty good r&d (in my opinion ofc)

If you want quality, Inwin makes some amazing stuff.
Not easiest to build, but great results with effort and looks amazing to boot.

Inwin's V523 was the basis of about 80% of the computers I built for other people.

That FTZ01 and Node 202 are very close to what I'm looking for, thank you! I'd never really thought about a "thin" system, but I see no reason whatsoever that they wouldn't be perfect.

I previously was using a Lian Li PCB-10 which I loved. I just got a Fractal Designs Define S, and out of the box everything seemed great (design, included parts, packaging). However, my mobo standoff brass screws got stripped and I can't even fasten my board down. I never had this problem with Lian Li (had 2 of them prior to this).

Silverstone RVZ02
This has some really thought out points. SFX PSU, but current low-wattage Intel processors and Nvidia GPU's, I don't see an the need for much more than 500W anyway.

I have the exact opposite preferences. I want more features, customization, windows, etc. A case that stands out and does everything, basically.

Ive seen some old-school PCs at places like Goodwill and Salvation Army for super cheap. Maybe hit those up if you have any near you. Garage sales are also super lucrative for old gear.

NZXT makes some good cases, and phanteks cases are semi plain looking but amazing interiors.

was looking at nzxt site. They have some nice minimalist cases. I really wanted a h440 or s340 and would have gotten it if I didn't find the phanteks.

heres a couple
Looks kinda neat.
Manta Matte Black PC Gaming Case - Manta Mini ITX PC Case - NZXT

this one I was close to getiing because of price.
S340 PC Gaming Case - S340 Computer Case - NZXT

The awesome h440, also have a non windowless version.
H440 PC Gaming Cases - H440 Computer Gaming Cases - NZXT
I really like the case, though I wanted atleast one 5" drive bay.

Last edited:
Check out Corsair's Obsidian line. Simple, clean leans, no stupid bling and mostly matte black. I have been using a 550D for 4 years now and it's great. Cools well, quiet and has filters to keep dust out.

Phanteks Evolv ATX

Lian Li PC-A75 (Simple & Elegant) like those old ATC cases you remember.

Fractal Design Define Series

Corsair Obsidian Series

Cooler Master Master Case (Master Case Pro version has window)

Did a Corsair 350D build last week, mATX with full size PSU and can fit a damn dual GPU card + full WC setup for CPU/GPU in there, not a bad case, fits in a suitcase and you can fit a big ass rad in the top and or front if you really want.

Lets see...

Fractal Design, Corsair, Phanteks, NZXT - All of these have a variety of high quality cases for their price ranges, some more so than others but still generally good buys. Of the 4, I place Corsair and Fractal as being superior and closer to what you're seeking.

Lian Li, Silverstone - These are often (some, most, all) aluminum and more costly than the above. They have some nice offerings, but I find them often not worth the price anymore because the above offer better prices for very similar/better features and the below are superior for the high-end...

Case Labs - If you have the money to spare, CaseLabs offer some of the best cases around. They're notable for being full aluminum, made in the USA with a boutique level of craftsmanship, and most uniquely - are very modular and customizable. You can get parts and accessories for whatever you need for most of their cases. Changing from 120mm to 140mm spaced radiators? Easy. Need to add more HDD/SSD racks? Done. It varies a little bit depending on particular models, but you can customize them as you like from the start, and then just buy the parts you need (including new tops, motherboard drawers, sides etc.. ) if you need to make a change later on. The only downside is the price, but considering what LianLi and Silverstone charge for their high end super towers, its a better use of your money in the $250+ arena. Oh, they recently launched the "Bullet" small form factor cases, made for air or AIO liquid in all board form factors, which are a bit cheaper than their predecessors. If you can afford to do so, this is certainly one of the companies that seems worth supporting; I'll likely be buying my next two cases from them.

Still got an old battered Coolmaster ATC 110 myself - doors fallen off - it's seen better days.

Seriously lacks any of the convenience features and (easy access) filters found in newer cases now (apart from some thumbscrews)

I always wanted the Silverstone offerings personally either the FT02 or the RV02-E but never did get one. Those were kind of the successors weren't they?

But times have changed and we certainly don't need tons of 3.5" & 5.25" bays now, not with NAS drives around.

Video cards will soon get even smaller/cooler, SSDs, etc.

I think the Fractal Define R5 / S is closest to what I'd like but it's not quite right.

Give me a Define R5/S with a 90' rotated layout.
Proper aluminium front panel
2-3 x Air Penetrators across the bottom
Slot loading optical drive
2 x 3.5" drive bays around the back (like on the Define S) so they don't block the fans as they do on the FT05
2+ 2.5" SSD bays

And I'd be sold.

Could always get the Define S and use an external optical drive I suppose. Not quite willing to lose that yet - but don't want the ugly drive covers on show either - as would be the case with the Corsair 450D, etc.

I suppose the rotated board design doesn't have the same appeal it once had now that people are using Corsair liquid coolers on the CPU/GPU - don't like thought of mixing liquid and electric.

Back