does anyone make a car charger that doesnt FAIL?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
seriously.

got a motorla q9c and I just killed my second car charger for this thing.

I had a third party one before that called it quits on me. the mini-usb plug literally ripped out.

now I got the official sprint charger which set me back a good 40 bucks at the sprint store, thinking I would get somewhere with it. NOPE. same damn thing happened to me AGAIN about eight months after purchasing.

I swear I don't do anything jacked up with these things. I plug everything up and I pull the connector off gently because I AM paranoid of stuff like this happening. but it happens anyway.
I never had this problem with my cheapass 10 dollar charger for my sanyo katana. I don't see why i'm having trouble with it on a semi-standard non-proprietary plug.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Also, you have a 1 year warranty on any Sprint accessory. Bring it into the store you purchased it from, show them the plug came out, and they WILL give you a new one.

Well it appears I got a bigger problem.

The actual port on the phone is a little messed up up too. I'm not sure how or when this happened but I actually have to mess with the mini-USB end on my regular charger that came with it and bend it out a little to make it fit snugly again so it will charge.

So, more or less my phone's fucked charging wise save this one charger I have that does work with it after modding the end a bit.

Guess all new chargers will be waiting for my next phone. Guess I have an excuse now to set money aside for the HTC EVO.

I've had an igo modular charger for the last couple of years and it's served me fairly well I just keep buying new tips.

It has charged my Sanyo M1, HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro my Palm Pre, my kindle and ipod without fail. Just drop ten bucks for the tip you need when you upgrade/get new device and you're golden. Build quality is nice and you often get lucky and one charging tip fits multiple devices. I used the same tip for my mogul and my Touch Pro and my Pre tip works on my kindle.

Right now I'm using the Kingston LiquidAUX BT car kit as my car charger because well... The thing is awesome! The remote is a little fidgety (could be my phone's fault) but the BT connection to the phone itself is solid, it sounds great, and it's incredibly convenient to not have to plug the phone/iPod touch in at all when I get in the car (unless of 'course I need to charge it).

Before this I was using a $15 Philips USB car charger that came w/a retractable USB cable and some phone tips IIRC (I think I got two packs, one w/phone tips and an alternate version that came w/a USB wall charger instead)... Never had any issues with it and my SE phone, or my iPod... My sister's Nokia phone occasionally complained that it wasn't using an official charger tho, w/e.

Forget dedicated chargers man... USB all the way, makes it way more convenient to keep track of cables and whatnot (you just need a couple of cables for each device, or several tips + one cable) and only one charger (whether it be for the call or the wall).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I went with the iGo system, I have one that I travel with where I have tips for everything (Phone, iPod, PSP, Gameboy DS, etc), and I have another one in my car with just tips for my phone and my iPod. For Christmas I got my wife an iGo that is both for the car, or wall, so she can use it in either place. This way she could travel and only carry one charger.

The initial price of the iGo is a bit high being around $40 - 80 depending, but tips are often found for between $5 - 15. So every time I get a new device I spend the usual $10 to get a new tip or two.

You can definitely get the same thing for way less, though it might not be as elegant or have as wide a selection of tips/cable choices from one centralized provider...

USB wall and car chargers are $5-15, after that you just need a $5 cable or tip for most things. Half the stuff out there just uses micro/miniUSB now, 'cept for iPods/iPhones obviously and some phones, and you can usually get USB cables/dongles for them like I did for my SE (short 2-inch cable, USB on one and and the proprietary port on the other). $40-80 once for the chargers isn't a terrible deal tho.

Kingston has a similar system btw, and a wide selection of tips, so you could just buy their cable/tips and any cheap USB charger. I got one of those portable batteries to recharge phones and stuff from them for like $50, came with one cable IIRC. Does the iGo system use USB at one end or is it a proprietary jack? That would be two steps forward, one step back...

The iGo does not have a USB into the iGo box, mine however is 5 years old. I do not remember what my wife's looks like, but I don't think it is USB either for the cables.

Back