Does anyone know wardriving programs

Format _C:

2[H]4U
that works with my Linksys WPC54G or does any one know what chipset that card uses? Thanks.

I have a feeling that this applies to the following rule:

(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

But that just my guess..... :rolleyes:

The WPC54G should use the Broadcom chipset, though that very could have changed if there's a v2 of the product. Anyway, it should work fine in NetStumbler. I use NetStumbler along with a program like Microsoft MapPoint and a GPS, along with a couple scripts found at forums.netstumbler.com. With that, you can view your location in real time, and AP's are plotted in real time to the point of stongest signal.

I've driven around the Sacramento, CA area quite a bit. Granted I havent been out in a few months, but here's a map of all the AP's I've found:

wardriving.gif (3500x3500, 624KB)

(Let's watch this DoS my network. :p )

Anyway, if you dont have a GPS, you dont need anything fancy.... just something that can use a serial port to send co'ords in NEMA format. NEMA is pretty standard, yet NetStumbler also supports Garmin.

Also, eventually you might want to get a wi-fi card that will let you add an external antenna. If you have any other questions, just ask. ;)

guito13 said:
I have a feeling that this applies to the following rule:

(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

But that just my guess..... :rolleyes:

Too bad wardriving is not illegal.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=585867
http://www.netstumbler.com/2003/12/19/wardriving_is_not_a_crime/

Finding AP's is fine, using those AP's without the permission of the owner is not.

For example, of all the AP's I've found, a friend and I were using the raw data to do a statistical analysis of AP setup. For example, how many use WEP v. No WEP. % using Default SSID, Default Channel, etc.... also found out a mapping of some WISPs around town. Here is a small example of some of the results from the data, but bear in mind that this page is nowhere near updated as most of the data has not been processed yet.

Nybbles said:
Too bad wardriving is not illegal.

yadda yadda yadda

I am fully aware of the legal issues surrounding it. It just seems that most of these threads tend to turn into the discussion of accessing the networks and get locked. I think wardriving is a neat idea if at the very least to find where the other computer nerds, like me, live ;)

i did my first wardrive last night, i used NS and it ate the 2 files i created (Lost about 400 hits), so now im looking for a better solution myself :(

Rombus said:
i did my first wardrive last night, i used NS and it ate the 2 files i created (Lost about 400 hits), so now im looking for a better solution myself :(

It's eaten a couple files of mine at times as well. There's an AutoSave feature in there you might want to enable. It's saved me ever since. Also, keep checking the site for new versions as it's under pretty constant development.

As for Kismet?.... Well, it's really cool if you can get it to work. It's got a bit of a higher learning curve than NetStumbler. It's also picky about certain types of Wireless cards, so you'll definately want to google around and make sure yours if fully supported before you go at it. If you dont want to run Linux on the laptop, look into Knoppix STD (Security Toolkit Distribution). It has a ton of tools on a Knoppix Live-CD. Only thing you'll have to do is mount the hard drive of the laptop to save ur data files.

Kismet does have a couple advantages though. First, it's a completely passive tool meaning it sends absolutely no data. It just listens. NetStumbler, on the other hand, likes to probe each AP it finds. Not to mention that typically Windows will try to grab a DHCP lease as well. So theoretically, something like an IDS system could be set up to detect NetStumbler quite easily.

Second, Kismet can put certain cards into 'RF Monitor' mode. This allows it to interact directly with the card and allows it to detect networks that have attempted to been kept hidden. With Kismet, I get 50% more, to nearly double the number of access points than I get with NetStumbler with the exact same hardware. There's a lot of wi-fi being used for a lot of different things, and you cant detect much of it with NetStumbler. There are also a couple programs out there that can use a Kismet data file and overlay a signal-strenght color code over sattelite imagery. Very cool stuff.

Back