Does anyone know anything about VPN setup

vwild2002

Weaksauce
Like I said from reading the forums it seems like some of the posts about VPN server setup are not getting responses. Is it because this is unfamilier territory to everyone?? Anyway all that aside, I am trying to set up a Linksys WRV54G VPN router. I then want to tunnel into this 'local XP Pro' network from a computer running XP Home. The 'local XP Pro' is on a static IP address, and the remote location is on a dynamic IP address. Any help would be appreciated. Also if you know of any could web resources that would be cool too. TIA

You will need to set it up so that the dynamic machine initiates VPN handshake to the static machine. Depending on the manufacturer of the equipment or software you are using there are lots of different tricks to getting things to work right.

I am unclear as to what software you will be using and exactly how the two networks are setup. I usually setup a VPN from Router to Router, I have setup a couple machine to router setups but never a machine to machine thru 2 routers that are just passing on information. If you can give me a better idea of how the data will go to from dynamic machine to static machine I can probably give you a better answer.

my university has a vpn and it is about the most useless thing i have ever used. it started out that we would have a "z" drive that we could access if we logged onto the domain from our own computers, or we could map the drive so we dont have to go on the domain. then they made the vpn and disallowed us access to the domain from our personal computers.

the vpn is extremely slow, the directory listings / folder structures are completly random and meaningless (ie, to get to my folder on the z drive it is like //144483/jm/j/j1/jackson/jackson_zac) it took me forever to find it because of the directory listings.

in short, if you are going to set it up make sure you have easy to navigate directories that have meaningful names.

OK thanks for the replies. I am using a Linksys WRV54G with XP Pro installed on the host computer. On the remote end I am not using a router and XP Home is installed.

I may be wrong, and if I am please correct me, but I dont believe you can setup a VPN between 2 xp boxes without 3rd party software. You will either need 2 VPN capable routers to setup VPN's between the sites, or you will need a Windows 2K or 2K3 server.

Back