Does anyone here use SATELITE internet?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Im moving next week to another state, and the location im moving to ONLY has DSL, I HATE DSL. I've had DSL 2 times in other locations, and both were VERY slow. Im now currently using CABLE, and it is FAST, very FAST. I download @ 500Kb sec. Is satelite internet faster than DSL? I know it might not be as fast as my cable internet, but will it be "FAST" internet? Any opinions are welcomed... Thanks

i would say look into the dsl in that area because some DSL is actually pretty good. my parents have a SBC/Yahoo DSL line for their small business and it is actually pretty darn fast.

i have a cox cable line and it is awesome, but they wanted more than twice as much for cable internet to their office than DSL so they went with the cheaper alternative.

Satellite internet is generally pretty slow from my understanding. the download times may be decent, but the upload times are horrendous from what i have heard. maybe look into it a little more and see what kind of down/up speeds the dsl company and various satellite companies can offer, then compare speed to price and pick the ISP that is right for you.

Everything i've read about Satelite Internet connections has pretty much said it's a last ditch option if Cable or DSL is unavailable.

Check this out for an idea of how fast it is (i'm sure DSL would be faster, for sure on upload speeds)
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6536_7-726545-4.html

Also watch the price of the equipment too. Satelite equipment can cost like $800 whereas you can pickup a DSL modem for less than $100...

Ive used direcpc one way a long time ago, it got about 80kb/s down I forget the upload speed. (edit: Oh yeah one way, uploaded with 56k modem duh) It is high bandwidth and high latency so you'd be better of using a 56k modem to play games over satellite. Dsl will be faster and cheaper.

newls1 said:
I download @ 500Kb sec.
On another note why do people care so much about down speed? Past 150kb/s I could care less, now if I could upload at 150kb/s I would be impressed. But every extra ounce of bandwidth isp's find is quickly put toward down speed. =/

Lord of Shadows said:
Ive used direcpc one way a long time ago, it got about 80kb/s down I forget the upload speed. (edit: Oh yeah one way, uploaded with 56k modem duh) It is high bandwidth and high latency so you'd be better of using a 56k modem to play games over satellite. Dsl will be faster and cheaper.

On another note why do people care so much about down speed? Past 150kb/s I could care less, now if I could upload at 150kb/s I would be impressed. But every extra ounce of bandwidth isp's find is quickly put toward down speed. =/

If you routinely download large files the difference between 150 and 500 is huge.

*edit*

but hey I'm all for a faster upload as well!

Lord of Shadows said:

Because you... download a hell of a lot more than you ever upload.

My internet used to be 200k/sec downloads, and it was nice, but it recently went to 500k/sec and it's so much nicer. Very noticeable, whereas I never upload shit and don't give a rat's ass how fast the uploads are.

Go DSL, your rig looks like its for a gamer and you wont be fragging on that sateillite.

My mom can't get cable or DSL in her area, so she has DirecWay.
And it's awful, unbelievably awful.

I'd rather not even use the internet when i am there.
The latency is so high that ping usually times out, you can go get a drink/food between page loads. If you're downloading something large it isn't too bad once it gets going. But gaming will be next to impossible.

Back