Does anyone have any idea where all these Intel CPU's decommissioned by Google are going and can we get some?

wareyore

HDCOTY 2023
Google dumping 10 Million Intel CPU's.

Whenever massive data center upgrades occur we've had some wins in expensive multicore CPUs getting to consumers for cheap, for a short while.

I got a cool 12c for an x79 and a 20c for an x99r3 pretty cheap a while back.

Probably in ebay eventually.... There was where I got my first xeon sandy bridge E5-2670 years ago. Was selling like $60 ea and those days 8-core is a beast, not now.

I sold my x79 system early this year. I still have two x99 systems but they are not power efficient to run 24/7 these days and I only run them during the recent pentathlon.

Usually, these will go to surplus sellers eventually. But even if Google replaced some CPUs with their own transcoder chips, that doesn't mean they're done with those CPUs; they could use them for other servers, including in their cloud offerings. Who knows.

When I worked at Yahoo, they did a couple rounds of giving surplus servers to employees (hard drives removed and presumably destroyed), but they stopped because it was determined that they'd need to consider the value of the hardware as compensation, and then it's a lot less fun. When I worked at Facebook, I could never get anyone to give me a straight answer about where the old hardware went (but they were much more aggressive about eliminating old generation hardware than Yahoo was)

Most companies in the USA are supposed to either offload them as a donation or as a liquidation (both having value on the books that needs recorded for accounting) or they are obligated to be responsible and dispose them with a certified e-waste company (which there really isn't a lot of options for those). Giving them away for free at zero accounting value is not legal for many companies as they are responsible for the e-waste. Early on companies saw it as a loop hole to get rid of the expense because the average person was not scrutinized as much for proper disposal and is why so many PC's still wound up in the dump. At least now, most residents are now required to take their electronics into the e-cyclers as well. Many people grumble about the cost but you really need to start considering if that large screen TV is really worth paying a $50 disposal fee for.....

Most companies in the USA are supposed to either offload them as a donation or as a liquidation (both having value on the books that needs recorded for accounting) or they are obligated to be responsible and dispose them with a certified e-waste company (which there really isn't a lot of options for those). Giving them away for free at zero accounting value is not legal for many companies as they are responsible for the e-waste. Early on companies saw it as a loop hole to get rid of the expense because the average person was not scrutinized as much for proper disposal and is why so many PC's still wound up in the dump. At least now, most residents are now required to take their electronics into the e-cyclers as well. Many people grumble about the cost but you really need to start considering if that large screen TV is really worth paying a $50 disposal fee for.....
that tv would/will end up in a random dumpster 90% of the time

I wouldn't say 90% of the time but it does happen often. Just don't get caught. The fines are crazy.

Back