Does anyone else miss [H]ard reviews?

I am definitely liking the reviews. Wish there was video/audio for sound testing. Or just in general a nice video review. But there might be, I just haven't gotten to it yet. :)

Yes I do. Kyle's favorable review of the Soltek FRN2 board was defining factor for me buying one for my nForce2 system in 2003. Was and still are stellar boards. Have one in working retro system to this day. And still have the original review stored.

soltek.2003.jpg

the only thing I recall them bring good at in the last decade was psu reviews. there are so many other sites that also tear-down motherboards, and once Kyle gave up on "best settings for each video card" reviews (thus making him identical to tech power up, except without the same massive card selection in each review)

finally, he failed to figure out how to benchmark all these new multi-threaded games, which made his CPU reviews after 2014 pointless. And the the change to concentrating on VR games reviews felt like the dying breaths of an old man still stuck in the 1990s!

the only thing I recall them bring good at in the last decade was psu reviews. there are so many other sites that also tear-down motherboards, and once Kyle gave up on "best settings for each video card" reviews (thus making him identical to tech power up, except without the same massive card selection in each review)

finally, he failed to figure out how to benchmark all these new multi-threaded games, which made his CPU reviews after 2014 pointless. And the the change to concentrating on VR games reviews felt like the dying breaths of an old man still stuck in the 1990s!
1670893533276.png

As an old man who is not stuck in the 90s, feel free to provide massage services to the lower parts of my body while I play Homeworld and sing showtunes...

You'll like it.

A bit harsh but yeah. They didn’t really invest the necessary effort to modernize their testing methodology

Never knew it existed, it needs a reboot with new content.

Think its a bit late for that now, hard to get traction on YouTube with the myriad of "tech channels" on it these days. Still find it utterly baffling how fucking Linus of all people managed to get top spot in the tech channel world. He does some good vids but the cringe factor in most of them makes me want to reach into the screen and do some throttling, Homer Simpson style.

Think its a bit late for that now, hard to get traction on YouTube with the myriad of "tech channels" on it these days. Still find it utterly baffling how fucking Linus of all people managed to get top spot in the tech channel world. He does some good vids but the cringe factor in most of them makes me want to reach into the screen and do some throttling, Homer Simpson style.
Its never to late start with streaming or anything, People thinking they cant do it because the world says, it just lame excuse lol

Kyle should stream his gaming sessions to Twitch or Youtube, if he still has time for it. I'd watch (and subscribe on Twitch).

Appreciate all the thoughts here, even the negative. Fact is, I was not making the money I thought I could for the hours put in, and it was just not fun any more. Going through Leukemia with my son, and it was just too much. Never liked the YouTube aspect, and things change. I am happy now and my family is healthy. Win/win.

I miss the [H], yes. I am still religiously reading articles at TheFPSReview with The Lads of course.

I had a weird sense of almost-panic when K made the shuttering announcement, even though I totally get all the reasons. In my selfish world it was very much "who do I trust now?!"

Appreciate all the thoughts here, even the negative. Fact is, I was not making the money I thought I could for the hours put in, and it was just not fun any more. Going through Leukemia with my son, and it was just too much. Never liked the YouTube aspect, and things change. I am happy now and my family is healthy. Win/win.

Family first for sure!

Every single time new hardware comes out I complain to myself how I miss Kyle's reviews.

I miss his reviews as well. What ever happened to him? Remember when back in the day he got a lot of pushback for driving a Hummer H2?

I had a weird sense of almost-panic when K made the shuttering announcement, even though I totally get all the reasons. In my selfish world it was very much "who do I trust now?!"

Well if you take the fanboys opinions into account every site seems to flip flop depending on what "sides" gpu gets a good review. It really was comical back in the day as I'm sure you remember, an ati card gets a good review, hardocp are ati fanboys, then the same shouts from the other "side" when it was an nvidia gpu getting a good review. Still continues today with the YouTube reviews.

I'd love to know at what point buying hardware just stopped being a purchase and started becoming a religion that people somehow seem to get roped into depending on what gpu or cpu they buy.

Well if you take the fanboys opinions into account every site seems to flip flop depending on what "sides" gpu gets a good review. It really was comical back in the day as I'm sure you remember, an ati card gets a good review, hardocp are ati fanboys, then the same shouts from the other "side" when it was an nvidia gpu getting a good review. Still continues today with the YouTube reviews.

I'd love to know at what point buying hardware just stopped being a purchase and started becoming a religion that people somehow seem to get roped into depending on what gpu or cpu they buy.
Idk, really seems to have picked up pace now that people choose an "ecosystem" to be in, and have to be assured that their walled garden is better than the others.

It's concerning enough that people are more willing to defend scummy anti consumer practices as "good for business", aka talking more like shareholders rather than consumers.

See? You got engaged. That's what youtube optimizes for, not quality. Creators either follow youtube's implied directives or get downranked into oblivion.

Yes, we all do, but the same reviewer (Brent Justice) that did video card reviews for [H] are now being created on The FPS Review website now. Take a look:
7900XTX Review: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/12/12/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-video-card-review/
7900XT Review: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/12/12/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-video-card-review/
Damn, I didn't know they did that. 10 seconds in and their gaming charts are 10X better than the morons in them YouTube sites.
Proper comparison of RT w/ DLSS / FSR etc. all on the same fucking chart. Who would've thought?

Bookmarked the site.

Damn, I didn't know they did that. 10 seconds in and their gaming charts are 10X better than the morons in them YouTube sites.
Proper comparison of RT w/ DLSS / FSR etc. all on the same fucking chart. Who would've thought?

Bookmarked the site.
I wonder why he's putting reviews up there, and on the forums there, but Not doing so here anymore. Was there a legal reason?

Back