Does anyone else miss [H]ard reviews?

Think its a bit late for that now, hard to get traction on YouTube with the myriad of "tech channels" on it these days. Still find it utterly baffling how fucking Linus of all people managed to get top spot in the tech channel world. He does some good vids but the cringe factor in most of them makes me want to reach into the screen and do some throttling, Homer Simpson style.
He posted a video stating he had eighty employees (80). My reaction was "Doing what?"

He posted a video stating he had eighty employees (80). My reaction was "Doing what?"
Research, writing, rendering animations, editing, thumbnails design, merchandising, accounting, managing taxes, dealing with sponsors, legal department, etc.

At a guess, the merchandising takes up a surprising amount of employees, forming almost a separate business by itself.

Well that must be about 1/2 the company right there.
You'd be surprised how much work goes into analyzing those youtube statistics to see how much of his pride Linus has to sacrifice to get the most clicks out of those thumbnails.

Only half joking here. I mean, those thumbnails are manure, but they're professionally created wagyu-grade cow-manure.

People (maybe even Linus) have even stated we do stupid face thumbnails etc cause stats show that's what gets clicks=views=money

As the title says, does anyone else miss Kyle's [H]ard reviews? I know Gamer's Nexus is one of the closest reviewers to it. But I still miss them. So transparent, and called out BS on all Hardware manufacturers in every review.
I miss those reviews like the deserts miss the rain. Not that I'm trying to do a callback to Everything But the Girl or anything... In a sense, this site still holds the potential to help inform us on what's what. However, it's just lacking a bit in the bare faced truth. Too many of the reviews in the forums here are laced with personal bias. Kyle is one of those investigative reporter / computer engineers that cuts to the pure truth of an issue.

I miss the hell out of that.

The [H] was my only trusted source for reality in the computing space.

I've watched a couple of those Linus videos and even bought a monitor he gave good reviews to but I find him very cringe worthy and annoying in the way he talks. Does anyone know what's up with his voice? He sounds like a 13 year old and I think he must be in his late 30s. I remember back in the day he used to talk really fast in his reviews but he has slowed down a bit recently.

I've watched a couple of those Linus videos and even bought a monitor he gave good reviews to but I find him very cringe worthy and annoying in the way he talks. Does anyone know what's up with his voice? He sounds like a 13 year old and I think he must be in his late 30s. I remember back in the day he used to talk really fast in his reviews but he has slowed down a bit recently.
I watch his videos but still dislike his mannerisms. You nailed it.

I had to spend some time thinking about it.

Perhaps I was on this site in 2000. Didn't register for something like 10 years and was running a clan site for Quake III Arena (And a pile of servers). But I miss Kyle's work as well- in fact the whole operation.

As a technology professional who does his hobby for a living- I'm always reading about enthusiast technology.

The YouTube thing is ok. I think Gamer's Nexus has the formula nailed as a balance between video hype and real journalism.

The rest of it is pretty shallow. Jayz2cent doesn't know the difference between throughput and Mhz. Moore's Law is Dead babbles on endlessly and more likely should be running a car wash.

Though it's good to remember that many of us were involved with computers as far back as the 1980s. We're old. But, pre 2005 or so, you really didn't build a computer, overclock, mod, or hack the software/firmware without actually knowing something about what you were doing. Or at least destroying a lot of hardware learning.

Now you can buy a water loop at Best Buy.

That being said the "tech press" content has followed form. It's dealing with commodities.

Think about it for a moment.... what kind of modding were you doing between 1995 and 2010? What kind of modding do you do now?

In 1996 was working on getting the PPC 604 processor to run over 500Mhz on a stock Dakota logic board, on air, based on hardware mods that included far more than a ratio change.

That was many of us... and the tech press reflected that. WE are the minority now. A forgotten market. Too small to feed compared to the ocean of "Appliance Gamers".

Think about it for a moment.... what kind of modding were you doing between 1995 and 2010? What kind of modding do you do now?

I still have my TT Soprano with a fat rubber side window, ordered online back then and cut to fit myself, it was running a socket 775 Gigabyte board and e8400 Wolfdale / HD 4890 XT.. it has an AM4 platform now in it.

Last edited:
I very much miss the old reviews, way too much sensationalism now without the data to back it up. GN does ok but Steve rambles for 30 minutes at a time, I can read a whole article in a couple of minutes and have the info I need to make a decision.

I'd love to know at what point buying hardware just stopped being a purchase and started becoming a religion that people somehow seem to get roped into depending on what gpu or cpu they buy.

It's not new to GPUs. You can't buy a Ford truck unless you pinky-swear to hate chevy trucks or at least install a calvin pissing on the bowtie sticker.

It's all what you make it. you don't have do anything you don't want to do. Just because world says to do it....Don't mean you have to do lol

1671666293525.png

In 1996 was working on getting the PPC 604 processor to run over 500Mhz on a stock Dakota logic board, on air, based on hardware mods that included far more than a ratio change.
That was many of us... and the tech press reflected that. WE are the minority now. A forgotten market. Too small to feed compared to the ocean of "Appliance Gamers".
Started back in the day of swapping clock crystals (on the mobo, SCSI HAs, etc.)

Recently moved from an OCed 4770K to the 7900X in the sig, and it was just set a -30 offset, 135W PPT, and presto.
Same ST and MT performance as stock, just with 138W package power and ~72C max temp
The algorithms / AI takes care of the OCing, just like my pr0n...

Appreciate all the thoughts here, even the negative. Fact is, I was not making the money I thought I could for the hours put in, and it was just not fun any more. Going through Leukemia with my son, and it was just too much. Never liked the YouTube aspect, and things change. I am happy now and my family is healthy. Win/win.
Let us run it for you. Co-op style.

Back