Does anybody manually control fan on video card

wesleys_dad

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive got a singleslot 4850 in my computer .I have always connected the fan directly to the fan controller which has 6 controlers[knobs]I jump the connector from the fan with a 3 pin extender cable an i have temp readings up on screen when gaming so i can choose between noise and cooling..ive always done this with all high end cards ive had..
I was just wonderong if anyone else does this also....I really like to have control of my fans for noise and cooling....

Most people will just use software to control the fan speed. Plugging it into a fan controller isn't needed, unless you're using an aftermarket fan/heatsink that doesn't fit into the fan plug on the card.

Yeah with MSI afterburner making a fan profile is so easy I don't really see the point.

because when it gets hot, you reach down and turn up the fan. When it cools back down, you turn the fan speed lower.

Unless you like the feeling of being in direct control of your hardware, not much point, like tosgamer and sicklown said.

I don't do it as much as others but I do like to be in control of my fan speeds on my 4850's. I usually have the fans at 35%-40% when on the desktop (keeps them around 45c), and before I open whatever game I'm playing I set them to 65%. Never have to put them higher than that to keep the temps below 80c while gaming. The single slot cooling solution on them makes quite a bit of noise, so I have to be able to turn them down or else my desk sounds like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

I use ATItrayTools. I have a desktop profile set to 29% and a gaming profile set to 40%.
That keeps it in the 60 degree range. I noticed the stock fan profile would go up to 80 degrees.

I use Rivatuner. I've always just gone in and set every card to 80% and left it at that.

Currently Using EVGA Precision, been loooking at MSI's Afterburner. See no point in going through the hassle of what you're doing OP. Software controls fan speeds just fine and is easy to tweak.

I do some coarse manual control, but always with GPU fan modifying apps like all of the ones listed above. I've never touched where the fan is plugged into.

I have a manual fan profile setup via MSI Afterburner.

It's a pretty aggressive curve, pretty much the only time the GPU fans aren't at 100% is when the GPUs are completely idle.

Do it all the time when gaming using EVGA Precision. Normally keep both my cards at 50% but when gaming I turn them up to 75%.

Back