Does anybody know where I can find a Switch style Jumper for cmos?

Serge84

Gawd
Yeah I been wondering about that. I seen them before. A switch style jumper literally like a powersupply switch or light fixture switch or button. So I can just push a button or flip a switch to reset the cmos when OCing.

I'm sure somebody knows about these right?

what your talking about is reseting (grounding) Cmos. there are several differant ways to do so. some have buttons, some have jumpers. there located in differant places. the manual usually tells you.

but if you need to reset cmos, all you have to do is pop out the battery, and connect your screwdriver (non-magnetic) into where cmos was, connecting the two ends that the battery usually connects. Usually thats a spring underneith the battery and a clip on the left of the battery. just place your screw driver on top of them. when your doing this, make sure your powersupply master switch is off but that it is still plugged in.

abit have 1 in the Guru Panel but your nF-M2 doesn't support the rest of the monitoring features so that would be an expensive way to do it.

4534782834738m.jpg

BUFF said:
abit have 1 in the Guru Panel but your nF-M2 doesn't support the rest of the monitoring features so that would be an expensive way to do it.

4534782834738m.jpg

The Guru panel is money. I had one of those and loved it.

Anyway, it depends on how your motherboard is setup. Some boards you have to move the jumper (most boards), some have buttons (MSI) and some you have to just jumper two pins (Gigabyte).

What board do you have? Most of the newer boards will self-reset after a bad OC.

Serge84 said:
Yeah I been wondering about that. I seen them before. A switch style jumper literally like a powersupply switch or light fixture switch or button. So I can just push a button or flip a switch to reset the cmos when OCing.

I'm sure somebody knows about these right?

I made one. Really nice to not have to open the case to do that.

I bought a SPDT switch from Radio Shack with a red push button. It has three contacts, the center contact is common and then two other contacts that alternate connecting to common with each button push. That way it exactly emulates the three pin CMOS headers where you move the jumper from one position to the other.

I took a spare slot cover and drilled a mounting hole for the switch. Then I soldered on a length of wire with a three pin connector that I cut off of an old fan or old case button.

Now I just have to reach around :eek: :D to the back of the case, press the button once , leave it there a few minutes, and then press it again.

Works great.

just make one, I keep saying that I'm going to make one, b/c the clear cmos pins are underneath my 7900GTX (dual slot) videocard.

Maybe I'll do it when I get home today.

kirbyrj said:
The Guru panel is money. I had one of those and loved it.

Anyway, it depends on how your motherboard is setup. Some boards you have to move the jumper (most boards), some have buttons (MSI) and some you have to just jumper two pins (Gigabyte).

What board do you have? Most of the newer boards will self-reset after a bad OC.

My NF-M2 will reset after a bad clock after hitting the reset button but Actouly I been looking for a panel that would work with my color sceme. I'll use it just for everything else like temps and the extra connections. That would be pretty cool. Its a good price really. If it worked with my board. Has some stupid connection where it makes its compatibility really lame.

However it will not reset on a bad memory timming.

Spartacus said:
I made one. Really nice to not have to open the case to do that.

I bought a SPDT switch from Radio Shack with a red push button. It has three contacts, the center contact is common and then two other contacts that alternate connecting to common with each button push. That way it exactly emulates the three pin CMOS headers where you move the jumper from one position to the other.

I took a spare slot cover and drilled a mounting hole for the switch. Then I soldered on a length of wire with a three pin connector that I cut off of an old fan or old case button.

Now I just have to reach around :eek: :D to the back of the case, press the button once , leave it there a few minutes, and then press it again.

Works great.

I'm going to hit radio shack as well.

Serge84 said:
My NF-M2 will reset after a bad clock after hitting the reset button but Actouly I been looking for a panel that would work with my color sceme. I'll use it just for everything else like temps and the extra connections. That would be pretty cool. Its a good price really. If it worked with my board. Has some stupid connection where it makes its compatibility really lame.

However it will not reset on a bad memory timming.

Are you sure the uGuru panel won't work with your board? From what I've seen, it works with pretty much any Abit board made recently. I used it with an AB9 Pro even though it wasn't listed as being compatible with the panel. All you need is the uGuru header on your board (4 pin IIRC), and you use the 3 CMOS reset pins with the other connector inside.

kirbyrj said:
Are you sure the uGuru panel won't work with your board? From what I've seen, it works with pretty much any Abit board made recently. I used it with an AB9 Pro even though it wasn't listed as being compatible with the panel. All you need is the uGuru header on your board (4 pin IIRC), and you use the 3 CMOS reset pins with the other connector inside.

I don't have that uGuru header unfortionatly. Too bad there is no other way to use it.

I often thought about doing the switch idea as mentioned (if you have a jumper type reset).

My current board though (asus) all you have to do is cut the power to the board (turn off PSU switch or unplug it then turn it on or plug it in again) and it will reset.

It does not seem to reset when the power goes out though, so i think you have to push the power button right away after plugging it back in.

Grentz said:
I often thought about doing the switch idea as mentioned (if you have a jumper type reset).

My current board though (asus) all you have to do is cut the power to the board (turn off PSU switch or unplug it then turn it on or plug it in again) and it will reset.

It does not seem to reset when the power goes out though, so i think you have to push the power button right away after plugging it back in.

Thats not the same as a clear cmos. Clearing the CMOS clears all of your BIOS settings, though what you're talking about, might fix what many people use a clear cmos for.

I just made one last night. I haven't installed it yet. BTW, whats on & whats off? (see picture) I'm too lazy to get my voltmeter out just to double check its got contact through it when on & whats on.

-- = on
&
O = off

cmos.jpg

chrisf6969 said:
Thats not the same as a clear cmos. Clearing the CMOS clears all of your BIOS settings, though what you're talking about, might fix what many people use a clear cmos for.

I just made one last night. I haven't installed it yet. BTW, whats on & whats off? (see picture) I'm too lazy to get my voltmeter out just to double check its got contact through it when on & whats on.

-- = on
&
O = off

That's the idea, but you only have two wires. While that will work on some boards (2 pin headers, like the DS3), it won't work (or may not) on boards that expect to have a jumper in the "Normal" or "Run" position (3 pin headers). On some boards, the "Normal" position may just be a dead connection, a place to store the jumper. In that case the two wire switch is ok. If you find that you keep losing the CMOS data though, then that's the problem.

That's why I went with a SPDT switch that will short either one pair of pins or the other just like a jumper would.

Spartacus said:
That's the idea, but you only have two wires. While that will work on some boards (2 pin headers, like the DS3), it won't work (or may not) on boards that expect to have a jumper in the "Normal" or "Run" position (3 pin headers). On some boards, the "Normal" position may just be a dead connection, a place to store the jumper. In that case the two wire switch is ok. If you find that you keep losing the CMOS data though, then that's the problem.

That's why I went with a SPDT switch that will short either one pair of pins or the other just like a jumper would.

yeah I knew my DS3 only has 2 pins to short for the clear mode. And not a 3rd pin for the normal mode. I have seen those 3 pin ( 2 mode switches).

chrisf6969 said:

Very true.

For the OCers though (which i think the easy access switch is mostly for), the ASUS reset via power should be plenty for most cases. But hey, whatever you need as I always say :p

chrisf6969 said:
yeah I knew my DS3 only has 2 pins to short for the clear mode. And not a 3rd pin for the normal mode. I have seen those 3 pin ( 2 mode switches).

Interesting, I have never seen a board without the 3rd pin for normal (or at least noticed it on a board). Makes adding a clear switch easier though!

Back