Doe's anybody know the story behind this photo?

I've been curious for a long time and never really found anything. Personally I think it looks like a government facility.

N1N1h.jpg

From another site

This picture is of Lehman Brothers World Financial Center 3 data center. Pre 9/11 it was the primary Data center, post 9/11 this site was breached by the dust and written off completely. Which was a good thing since there was no other way to fix that mess. Days were lost just trying to trace a single connection. There is a smaller gray version of this wall one of the NJ data centers thats still in use.

And here's the room beneath the Great Yellow Wall:

LehmanCaves18.jpg

No, I'm kidding, but the really weird thing is that this is a picture taken in the Lehman Caves.

If one ran though the room, back and forth (somehow not tripping) with one of those new uber-magnets, I wonder how much voltage would it create - and who (besides God) could tell where it was going to go?

On a more serious note, wonder how many miles of cable and pounds of copper are involved?

Given who owned that it explains why it was as bad as it was. No one in their right mind is going to be the guy to start a project to clean that up at an investment firm like Lehman and be the guy that caused an outage and made people lose bonus money. No way.

I've been curious for a long time and never really found anything. Personally I think it looks like a government facility.

N1N1h.jpg

You have apparently never been in a gov facility then. We pay good money to have it done properly so as to not waste valuable hours jerking with situations like that later on. Cheaper in the long haul.

It's the same reasons everytime:
- "nah, I'm sure I'll remember what goes where"
- "are you absolutely sure you won't be needing additional nodes?"
- "I Get Paid By The Hour"
- "Oh that? that's my job security"
- "I saw the mess you nerds made, it would be much neater if you used one colour. Go use one colour because my autism demands it"

- "I saw the mess you nerds made, it would be much neater if you used one colour. Go use one colour because my autism demands it"

That right there is probably why it was like that.

In other news... that's why labels, diagrams, and spreadsheets were invented.

The color being all the same, while maddening, would not have been impossible to work with IF they had good documentation to go along with it.

documentation

Q:"Yeah the new guy said we need >>dog augmentation<<. And then he started sticking post-it notes everywhere"
A:"transfer him to special projects - have him write the Weekly Java App Launcher Warning Window"

It's called human nature. Few take pride in their job, try to organize things and make it sustainable. Unfortunately, most don't give a fuck and expect others to clean up their mess so it ends up looking like the above.

Back