Does any of the 3070 have dvi port?

You're probably going to need one of the "true" active adapters to make that work - they run around $80-$100, and some have a USB connector for power too. IIRC, it's because they don't have a full dual link capability in the one you selected - just a single link, even with the pins for dual.

Note: True active adapters are... flaky.

DVI was officially dropped two generations ago, so I doubt we'll see DVI on any of the 3000 series. That said, as long as you are ok with 2560x1440 @60Hz and don't need a refresh rate higher than 60Hz, then adapters like what you linked should work.

DVI was officially dropped two generations ago, so I doubt we'll see DVI on any of the 3000 series. That said, as long as you are ok with 2560x1440 @60Hz and don't need a refresh rate higher than 60Hz, then adapters like what you linked should work.
Even some of the cheaper ones struggle with that res - 1080P @ 60 or higher @ 30 is really it. That's why you need the more powerful ones - but they're a mess.

Pretty much. I use a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to a tv I use a secondary monitor. Works fine and was like $6 at a local electronics store.

Even some of the cheaper ones struggle with that res - 1080P @ 60 or higher @ 30 is really it. That's why you need the more powerful ones - but they're a mess.
Well, if they can't do 2560x1440 @60Hz then they are obviously junk. False advertising and all. But, honestly, I'm not surprised it's a thing.

Best advice to OP is to try the inexpensive one, and if it doesn't work, you are only out $20. Paying $100 for a active adapter to have it glitch or not work would be terrible advice on our part.

Bottom line, OP, is your YMMV when it comes to DVI adapters. Time to ditch those old panels for something with modern inputs.

Well, if they can't do 2560x1440 @60Hz then they are obviously junk. False advertising and all. But, honestly, I'm not surprised it's a thing.
Cheap converter chip - that's why some cost $10-15, and the others cost $80-100. Get what you pay for. I had one of the expensive active ones, but they were a mess - part of why DVI was ditched.

I get why he's running that panel - they were amazing for the time and for what you got, but it's time to upgrade.

Yeah. At this point a good 1440p hdr screen runs 400. The adapters will cost you half that by the time you get it working.

I got 1 current active panel and 1 free spare so trying ym best to get it to work. Would be extremely wasteful to toss out 2 fine monitor

Last edited:
I got 1 current active panel and 1 free spare so trying ym best to get it to work. Would be extremely wasteful to toss out 2 fine monitor
They’re old and outdated, to put it simply. Fine they may be, but technology moves on. That design is now 8 years old. I have two remaining dvi capable displays; both are using vga for servers now.

DVI is DEAD. Save yourself the headaches and get a new panel. Converters cheap or expensive don't work reliably and cause a ton of other issues.

Too many naysayers here. New panel is what? $400?... Adapter is $20 at most?

Genius advice.

Amazon has a great return policy, buy a couple options if one works to your standards keep it. If nothing works return everything knowing the answer to your situation.

Too many naysayers here. New panel is what? $400?... Adapter is $20 at most?

Genius advice.
$80-100 per. For a true, externally powered, full bandwidth dual-link adapter. And it'll probably take a couple to find one that works; they're flaky. The cheap ones you're finding use the old chip and are not externally powered - and don't support his resolution and refresh. Startech makes one that's pretty good - runs right around $100 last time I bought one.

$80-100 per. For a true, externally powered, full bandwidth dual-link adapter. And it'll probably take a couple to find one that works; they're flaky. The cheap ones you're finding use the old chip and are not externally powered - and don't support his resolution and refresh. Startech makes one that's pretty good - runs right around $100 last time I bought one.

Unless I missed it, he hasn't mentioned what resolution he uses.

Lol! I am looking for the exact opposite my video card (GT-1030) only has one HMDI and one DVI my old Benq GL2760H was connected to the DVI and my Onkyo was connected to the HDMI my new monitor ASUS MG28UQ has 3 HDMI & 1 Displayport but no DVI so my Onkyo is not plugged in anymore. Can DVI actually do 3840 x 2160P @ 60HZ? I don't need the audio because I have another AVR at the place where the PC sits

Another option to look at is the Apple A1306 Dual-Link DVI to MiniDP adapter + MiniDP to DP adapter if you can find one used.

These are active adapters designed for the 30" Cinema Displays they used to sell.

Unless I missed it, he hasn't mentioned what resolution he uses.
He mentioned the screen; they're "not good enough" apple cinema displays sold 3rd party with a single dual-link DVI. Were all the rage back in ~2012/2013 at the time. $400 for a $1300 screen, just no extra features.

He mentioned the screen; they're "not good enough" apple cinema displays sold 3rd party with a single dual-link DVI. Were all the rage back in ~2012/2013 at the time. $400 for a $1300 screen, just no extra features.
Yep, I have a variant known for refresh rate ocing that did 115hz flawlessly (ran me $320 or so shipped) . Got it in 2011 I think and kept it until I went 4k60 in mid late 2014.

Yep, I have a variant known for refresh rate ocing that did 115hz flawlessly (ran me $320 or so shipped) . Got it in 2011 I think and kept it until I went 4k60 in mid late 2014.
Neat screen, but stuff moves on. I had to retire several good dell displays for the same reason - and now even my high-end gaming screen (1440P/144hz) from 4 years ago is getting old - no HDR. And the same specs but with freesync and HDR now goes for $400, vs the $900 I paid. Technology moves along, and right now screen tech is moving fast again.

Back