Does AMD stop support?

wandplus

Limp Gawd
I just read Intel plans on eliminating support for their older iGPUs but this includes the Comet Lake processor which only came out like 2 years ago (which they're still selling right now). Does AMD ever end support for its APUs?

I don't think anything is preventing you from doing your own research here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support

TLDR: Sure...you can't exactly find modern drivers for old C-50 or E350 "APUs" or FX mobile CPUs. Looks like all Ryzen APUs are still supported with the latest driver. So it definitely looks like they have an EOL date for certain products.

All you can do is use the latest driver supported, generally they still support DX10, 11 and 12 (sometimes) so as long as they still access those API's you should be fine for a while. Otherwise its time to upgrade.

I don't think anything is preventing you from doing your own research here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support

TLDR: Sure...you can't exactly find modern drivers for old C-50 or E350 "APUs" or FX mobile CPUs. Looks like all Ryzen APUs are still supported with the latest driver. So it definitely looks like they have an EOL date for certain products.
Thanks for telling me to do research but that page doesn't tell you how old their products are.

Really crappy of AMD to do this. Looks like my next system will definitely be Intel again.

AMD has completely discontinued all support for all pre-Polaris GPUs in July of last year. Although AMD stated at the time that this is "legacy" support, they have planned to issue no more updated drivers anymore for these older GPUs. As such, the only way that you'll be getting a "security-patched" driver for these pre-Polaris GPUs would be via the Microsoft Windows Update process (since the security driver releases would not be available at all from AMD).

But I'm wondering for those who follow AMD, have you ever heard of them dropping support for a 2 year old product?

I have an AMD laptop with a 5-year-old APU (4 in practice, not quite 4 since the laptop was launched) and they're still talking about adding features to it (FSR/RSR). Vega graphics. If I get 2-3 more years of official support out of it, I'll be super-happy. That's kinda crazy when you think about it.

If Intel is setting a 2-year standard, AMD is blowing the pants off that.

Let's be honest, though. Intel has no idea what the Hell is happening with Intel. They're imploding right now.

This thread is complaining about intel discontinuing current iGPU's. I think you misread this.

I think you didn't read what subforum this thread is in. This thread is about AMD support.

I just read Intel plans on eliminating support for their older iGPUs but this includes the Comet Lake processor which only came out like 2 years ago (which they're still selling right now). Does AMD ever end support for its APUs?
At some point, it no longer makes sense to support legacy hardware. There is a end date to support for everything computer related.

Come to think of it, in the value CPUs/GPUs, instead of aiming for an Intel i5-11400F & GTX 1650, you might get more bang for your buck with the Ryzen 5 5500 & RX 6500 XT. Usually I like to have two machines (one for gaming, other for watching TV/movies), next time I might build and AMD machine and Intel/Nvidia.

Ive never had a issue running legacy amd products under windows.

Notably, the drivers for old firepros still work great under modern os.

I'm not terribly concerned about the security implications of old gpu drivers and amd has supported old products well past the usable point.

You can still run a 7970 or older under windows 10. Sometimes a manual install of the driver is required.

lol way older than that even! hd 4000 series still works on win10, i have one installed in my work desktop for some reason...
Security patches for that IGP had completely ended back in October of 2020. Continued use of that IGP may expose that system to further malware and ransomware attacks in the near future, and Intel will no longer fix that vulnerability at all.

Security patches for that IGP had completely ended back in October of 2020. Continued use of that IGP may expose that system to further malware and ransomware attacks in the near future, and Intel will no longer fix that vulnerability at all.
im talking aboot the ati hd 4000 series, as the person i responded to was talking about the "7970 and older".

Reactions: Axman
like this
What is the big deal about having a new video driver if you are just using integrated video? If you are just doing basic office tasks then there is really no need for a new video driver. Windows 10 and 11 work with 64-bit drivers going all the way back to Windows Vista, so as long as your hardware has a driver from at least ~2006 or so you're basically good to go.

I suppose it's possible that Malware could take advantage of "security vulnerabilities" in an older video driver, but that seems pretty far-fetched IMO, especially if you aren't actually doing anything advanced with the iGPU (3D acceleration, etc).

What is the big deal about having a new video driver if you are just using integrated video? If you are just doing basic office tasks then there is really no need for a new video driver. Windows 10 and 11 work with 64-bit drivers going all the way back to Windows Vista, so as long as your hardware has a driver from at least ~2006 or so you're basically good to go.

I suppose it's possible that Malware could take advantage of "security vulnerabilities" in an older video driver, but that seems pretty far-fetched IMO, especially if you aren't actually doing anything advanced with the iGPU (3D acceleration, etc).
Well, it happened to me once that I had an issue with a computer that only went away once I updated the video driver. The fact that I bought an Intel i5-10400 for my mother's computer kind of concerns me now they made that decision.

On Linux, AMD drivers are built in, this may all be a mute point but older hardware would probably be supported longer still with AMD hardware.

On Linux, AMD drivers are built in, this may all be a mute point but older hardware would probably be supported longer still with AMD hardware.
That's interesting because I thought I read somewhere Intel/Nvidia had more compatible drivers for Linux. lol (Yeah, if I cared about it right now I'd do research but only a passing thought if I wanted to use a real old machine.)

That's interesting because I thought I read somewhere Intel/Nvidia had more compatible drivers for Linux. lol (Yeah, if I cared about it right now I'd do research but only a passing thought if I wanted to use a real old machine.)
Amd gpu drivers are far better then nvidia under linux and have been for along time. Only recently has nvidia reached a usable level with the gpu drivers.

Cpu/chipset driver have always been supported

Back