Does Adobe photoshop 64bit use more then 4GB?

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
I was working on a single image around 1.5 gigs, had F@H, firefox, itunes and utorrent running. Tried saving the file and I get this popup

53079255.jpg

I tried closing any processes I didnt need and still got the same error. I realized photoshop never went above 3.5gigs or so and I think it was using the hard drive to swap space instead of more RAM. Is this an issue with me or photoshop?

What version of CS4 do you have?
And what are the parameters of your image?

Are you sure you are using the 64bit version? CS4 had two .exe files for Photoshop, one was a 32bit, the other was a 64 bit. The 64bit was named as such. Otherwise, it is the 32bit version bound to the addressing limitations.

I thought so too but nope, my shortcuts point to the 64bit

12029829.jpg

Are the options under performance set to use more than 4gb?
My experience has always been if you set it to use more than 4, it'll use more than 4 if it needs to. (this is with the Ps64bit exe in CS4 and CS5 also)

I've had issues in the past with Ps giving errors about insufficient ram when trying to save files or even when trying to open some files, despite having more than enough ram available. Could be a bug/glitch. Can you save as a different format than jpeg?

Are the options under performance set to use more than 4gb?
My experience has always been if you set it to use more than 4, it'll use more than 4 if it needs to. (this is with the Ps64bit exe in CS4 and CS5 also)

I've had issues in the past with Ps giving errors about insufficient ram when trying to save files or even when trying to open some files, despite having more than enough ram available. Could be a bug/glitch. Can you save as a different format than jpeg?

I found this under System Info

Memory available to Photoshop: 5300 MB

and yes, I could save as a .PSD, or I had to lower the jpeg image quality to 3, then it would let me save as a jpeg.

did you by chance lock your pagefile to a smaller amount than the physical amount?

Its whatever Windows 7 Home premium sets it at when installed, I have not messed with system settings

EDIT:

83927611.jpg

Last edited:
and yes, I could save as a .PSD, or I had to lower the jpeg image quality to 3, then it would let me save as a jpeg.

It's a bug when saving the file as jpeg then.
If it didn't let you save it as another format, it would be either a ram or a scratch disk issue.
Since it let you save as another format (psd), it's not a file or system/hw issue.
+ judging by your System Info, it is giving it over 4gb of ram, so it's doing it's job. ;)

I've seen the "not enough memory" error when trying to open some scanned TIF files and when trying to save some JPEG files. There are no real solutions from Adobe because the only thing they really admit to or bother patching is Acrobat. :rolleyes: Just save it as another format. If you really need a JPEG, try saving the file as something else first (psd or tiff), then close, open the psd or tiff and try saving as a jpeg. If that doesn't work, use an image app like XnView or IrfanView to convert the tiff to jpeg if you absolutely positively have to have a jpeg. :)

Back