Does Adjusting Graphics Settings Lower Than the Game Allows Constitute Cheating?

Very much agree. With driver edits and lag manipulation it could easily get to the point of where you can only use signed drivers that have to be verified at launch and if your lag spikes too many times you get dropped from the match with a loss added to your record.

Or we go back to allowing private servers and get rid of universal score boards and win/loss tracking. Also win rewards should go away too. Play the match, win or lose it doesn't matter you gain nothing just play for fun.

Well, to some degree. Going back to private servers and no achievements and sellable crap only wards off a different kind of n00btards. There are always dicks who just want to fuck people over and they don't care, there are folks who just feel they have to win no matter what regardless of leaderboards. I do personally think that being able to run private servers is good to prolong game liferspan as well as to allow folks who want to cheat for run to be able to do it for their pleasure without messing with others. I remember having a ton of run on some Q3 servers back in the day where a lot of hacks were allowed and it was really crazy carnage of its own kind. I also kind of despise game achievements as it makes some folks go nuts and they just have to have them even if they ruin the game for others. Same as casual cheating, maybe I want to cheat in an SP game, who cares as long as it makes someone happy in a product they paid for? Although I don't cheat as I like the challenge I paid for, sometimes it's cool to go into console and exploit the fuck out of a game to get a whole new experience. Especially if you beat the game and just want something new. I'm all for freedom to play game as one sees fit so having some kind of separation to support that would be good for all games.

Cheating is just as prevalent on consoles as PC. Common methods are different, but there are still host hijacks, mod menus, and other things found on PC. Lag switching on consoles is still a thing and a huge problem.

No, the input lag is at the mercy of your monitor regardless of the resolution. The main reason for 4:3 resolution is it makes your mouse sensitivity consistent along the X- and Y- axis. The secondary reason is people that stretch it on a 16:9 monitor believe it makes hitboxes larger when it only makes game models appear to be bigger while it is just a placebo effect. The placebo effect being that they are actually getting finer control in their mouse movement in a physically smaller display area.

False. We are not talking about monitor response times. We are talking about Input lag, which improves, and your own comment indicates it here: "The main reason for 4:3 resolution is it makes your mouse sensitivity consistent along the X- and Y- axis."

Why do you think it becomes more sensitive? Because it reduces input lag. In other words, the lower the resolution, the higher the frame rate the more "samples" of what the person is doing (moving mouse etc) is being sent to the display and being displayed, so for easy understanding, if you have 60 fps, and you reduce your resolution to to get 120 fps, your mouse movements (input) are being displayed twice as fast. Hence, why it makes the mouse more sensitive along the X- and Y- access, as well as more accurate. You are getting faster results displayed on the screen from your mouse input, which is input lag. IE if you press a button, or move the mouse, at 60 fps it does not register the button press or mouse movement in the very next frame, where as at 120 fps it does.

Here is a very crappy video that demonstrates it:

(there are many other examples out there about accuracy and such as well if you google it)

Knew people that did this back in the Q3/ET days. We kicked them out of our lan parties if we caught them and they wouldn't use normal settings. There were heated arguments.

If you are changing the configuration of a game to gain a performance advantage over others, that they lack, that is cheating. It's not a level playing field.

Yeah, at home, single player... do whatever you want.

just play for fun.
This seems to be lost on the current generation. Its all about score and what your character looks like in game. Developers literally making billions on a players appearance? Crazy.
We are living at a time where studios and players by and large assume that fun is just a buzzword when the players can't actually think of any real reasons as to why the game is good. It's sad to think that this is the reality and not a mere meme.

Maybe games in the future should setup a graphics/resolution checker during battles. Have it check every 30 seconds or so if the graphics are the same as when the battle began. Have a minimum requirement at the beginning of the fight so people are required to meet it and keep it during the match. Otherwise if it gets changed they are auto kicked or possibly a check to their account shows up.

Maybe games in the future should setup a graphics/resolution checker during battles. Have it check every 30 seconds or so if the graphics are the same as when the battle began. Have a minimum requirement at the beginning of the fight so people are required to meet it and keep it during the match. Otherwise if it gets changed they are auto kicked or possibly a check to their account shows up.

This will not end well if eGPU becomes a thing. Imagine Joe who started the match on integrated who ends up going with eGPU and got himself a huge boost in fps out of the blue.

Well hot damn, turning down graphic detail levels is what I used to do for CS when I couldn't afford a TNT2 ultra.

It's exists and is part of Fairfight anti cheat which is used in the division. When the server side stats based anti-cheat detects inhuman behavior it makes a request to the client to take a screenshot which is uploaded for review.

Back