Does a server board fit inside a Mac G5 (ATX mod)?

128MB

n00b
I have a 12"x13" dual xeon board and wanted to know if it could fit inside a mac g5 atx modified to make a hackintosh.
My case is not deep enough.

I can't find good measurements so far ...

I don't have a G5 nor access to one (our office moved to all remote and the person who retained the G5 is several states removed from me). However, the same basic case is used for the Mac Pro, which uses a processor tray at right angles to the motherboard. 12" x 13" sounds a bit too big for the case.

I don't have a G5 nor access to one (our office moved to all remote and the person who retained the G5 is several states removed from me). However, the same basic case is used for the Mac Pro, which uses a processor tray at right angles to the motherboard. 12" x 13" sounds a bit too big for the case.

I can get the board to fit in my Cooltek W2 if i fit slim fans ... seems a g5 or power case would be alot bigger...

thanks for the link

MMBATX.jpg

This should be easy to build it ...

It looks like it should "fit" if you gut the case completely, but that the stock motherboard is shaped more like a Micro-ATX board, and it probably wouldn't if you wanted to retain the original drive mounts and power supply basement thing.

I asked supermicro and my board is EATX format and probably a few holes are off they said ... easiest would be to find a cheap g5 case and test fit :D

I asked supermicro and my board is EATX format and probably a few holes are off they said ... easiest would be to find a cheap g5 case and test fit :D
Well... yeah. If this is something you want to do (which is fair enough - those Mac Pro cases are beautiful), it seems like you'd have to do some custom fab work to get it to fit.

Where does one get that motherboard tray?

Well... yeah. If this is something you want to do (which is fair enough - those Mac Pro cases are beautiful), it seems like you'd have to do some custom fab work to get it to fit.

Where does one get that motherboard tray?
i just got a dirt cheap working g5, now trying to take it apart but i need a very long screwdriver for the heatsinks.
the mobo trays are available from several manufacturers and even belgian webshops. or i buy a lian li case for half the price of a tray and cut it out myself.

i just got a dirt cheap working g5, now trying to take it apart but i need a very long screwdriver for the heatsinks.
the mobo trays are available from several manufacturers and even belgian webshops. or i buy a lian li case for half the price of a tray and cut it out myself.

I bought my mini itx mobo from These guys. Great quality and worked well for my 2 PCs in one case mod.

Easy. room to spare. placeholder gpu and psu. bottom has room for 2 ssd drive cages i got.

Attachments

• 20200210_201149.jpg
    20200210_201149.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200210_201149.jpg
    20200210_201149.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200210_201141.jpg
    20200210_201141.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200210_201127.jpg
    20200210_201127.jpg