Does a multichannel digital to analog converter exist?

illram

[H]ard|Gawd
Something that takes in multiple analog channels (e.g. 8 channels for 7.1, or 6 for 5.1) and then outputs it in PCM via USB. Does this exist? Or even an internal soundcard that acts as an audio input for multiple channels (not just an output) which you can then have your PC send back out as you see fit.

I have scoured the internet for hours and found nothing other than multi-thousand dollar music engineer rigs that are way more complex than I possibly could know how to use.

I’d suggest buying a Behringer ADA8200.
200 bucks.
It’s very capable.

But turn that into an Audio Interface costing around 2k by sending your unit to Black Lion Audio.
Get the Premium modification, or even the Standard mod.

Now you’ll have 8 x Analog Ins, TS or XLR as the inputs are multi connector mic pres.
You’ll also have 8 Digital Ins via fiber optic digital (Toslink/ADAT)
Outputs are a mix of digital and analog as well.

I use these for 5.1, or connecting Analog or Digital synths.
They’re really great for drummers with a mic’d kit.
Go in via XLR, then out via Digital into a large console to record or perform.

Thanks. I saw the ADA8200 but I need USB out, and I can't find an ADAT to USB converter. I don't think it exists. And I can't use toslink or spdif out as it can't carry 6 channels of PCM as far as I know.

USB might be too shitty of an interface for multi channel PCM. The only other option would be HDMI.

Something that takes in multiple analog channels (e.g. 8 channels for 7.1, or 6 for 5.1) and then outputs it in PCM via USB. Does this exist? Or even an internal soundcard that acts as an audio input for multiple channels (not just an output) which you can then have your PC send back out as you see fit.

I have scoured the internet for hours and found nothing other than multi-thousand dollar music engineer rigs that are way more complex than I possibly could know how to use.
You want an Analogue to Digital Converter.
An ADC, not a DAC. It does the opposite to a DAC.
But yes you may struggle.

An alternative is to record the PCM from 2 channels at a time using a PC soundcard mic in.
Stitch it together later.

Another alternative is to use 4 USB microphone in or 4 soundcards.
Use all of them concurrently to a software mixer that allows input from multiple sources.

Last edited:
Thanks, saw that also, but as far as I can tell it's only for USB to ADAT not ADAT to USB. Unless there is a way to make my own USB out somehow with the DIY kit version. I can't really find an interface that let's me input ADAT to a PC and then back out again in USB.

I haven't used one, but MiniDSP claims 8x8 with ADAT firmware. IOW, combined with an ADA8200, you have an 8x8 analog/USB interface.

I haven't used one, but MiniDSP claims 8x8 with ADAT firmware. IOW, combined with an ADA8200, you have an 8x8 analog/USB interface.

Perusing some forums about this, looks like you may be right! Their user manual wasn't too clear about it but people say it is both in/out.

Look at a Behringer FCA1616 for USB also.

I use an XITE-1 DSP Rack, an expensive recording studio for PC.
Nobody uses them except for film scoring guys or live performers.
But any old Soundblaster would accept the ADA8200 @ 44.1/48k or SMUX @ 96k halving the channels.

MiniDSP has neat stuff, thanks for sharing.

Back