Does a GTX 680 4GB have similar performace to a 280X?

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I currently have an MSI 280X that I was looking to sell in order to get an nvidia card with a 3dvision kit. Someone offered to trade me their 1 year old Asus GTX 680 4GB for my 280X. Would this be a fair trade for both of us?

Thanks

They are roughly identical in performance depending on the game.

Actually the 280X (7970) performs a tiny bit better on average.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/770?vs=772

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you really want the 3DVision kit because you'll be hard pressed to find a second card for the 4GB 680 unlike on the 280X which you can still easily CF.

Also, your card is likely a better clocking card. None of the three 680's I have have been good clockers, and they're all top notch custom cards. A 7970 will probably OC better than a 680 on average.

Actually the 280X (7970) performs a tiny bit better on average.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/770?vs=772

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you really want the 3DVision kit because you'll be hard pressed to find a second card for the 4GB 680 unlike on the 280X which you can still easily CF.

Also, your card is likely a better clocking card. None of the three 680's I have have been good clockers, and they're all top notch custom cards. A 7970 will probably OC better than a 680 on average.
They are basically dead even overall.

From a strictly value perspective the GTX 680 4gb is worth significantly more than a 280x 3gb on the used/reseller market. It'd actually be an unfair trade for him assuming the conditions of the cards were roughly comparable. Although I am surprised their GTX 680 is only 1 year old?

From a strictly value perspective the GTX 680 4gb is worth significantly more than a 280x 3gb on the used/reseller market. It'd actually be an unfair trade for him assuming the conditions of the cards were roughly comparable. Although I am surprised their GTX 680 is only 1 year old?

Well if you compare the 680 to a 290 then that card will blow by a long shot. I own three and have done all the tests (Futuremark/FF etc) out there and those cards get their asses owned by cards like 780's. Hell it takes TWO 680's to even reach a SINGLE 780 in some benchmarks that SLI doesn't scale well... so no, not really.

Well if you compare the 680 to a 290 then that card will blow by a long shot. I own three and have done all the tests (Futuremark/FF etc) out there and those cards get their asses owned by cards like 780's. Hell it takes TWO 680's to even reach a SINGLE 780 in some benchmarks that SLI doesn't scale well... so no, not really.

How is what you posted relevant in terms of the actual going market value (at least in the US/Canada used market) for the items mentioned? Look up what a 280x is going for used and what a GTX 680 is going for used.

You can sell a used GTX 680 and have enough to easily buy a used 280x but not the other way around. Actually with a GTX 680 4gb you might be able to resell it and buy a new 280x (actually you might even make money by selling the items from the bundle) or a used 290 even.

I don't have the msi 280x but having owned many as well as 2 different 770 4GB(similar to 680) they're practically identical stock. I've never OC'd them myself. In terms of temperature though I've found nVidia's cards to run cooler. If anything the extra 1GB of vram is worth it unless you have msi's 6gb version.

Back