Does a failing S.M.A.R.T. test at post warrant a replacement?

I have a Sandisk SSD just under 3 years old. Recently it has started to fail the S.M.A.R.T. test during POST so I had do disable the test in BIOS. The drive boots fine most of the time, but other times it will fail to read files during boot and Windows won't load.

Is this something that a reformat can fix or does a failed S.M.A.R.T. test always indicate a failing drive? In other words, should I even bother wasting time debugging this, or should I go straight for a replacement since I am still under warranty?

I appreciate the input. Thanks!

bckup data
try to do the format.
if its does not help (99% risc) return for warranty exchange

It all depends on your patience really.. i would try toformat it just to be sure, but its most likely not going to fix anything.

Personally i'd suggest to go straight for backup and replacement. While smart isn't exactly super great at predicting failures if it triggers I no longer trust the drive after that.

exactly what has already been stated back up now and i mean now. Don't take a chance do it today.

If it's failing the SMART test it's probably dying. Also, SSDs have a habit of becoming totally unreadable all of a sudden when they die so you should back it up and replace immediately.

I have a Sandisk SSD just under 3 years old. Recently it has started to fail the S.M.A.R.T. test during POST so I had do disable the test in BIOS. The drive boots fine most of the time, but other times it will fail to read files during boot and Windows won't load.

Is this something that a reformat can fix or does a failed S.M.A.R.T. test always indicate a failing drive? In other words, should I even bother wasting time debugging this, or should I go straight for a replacement since I am still under warranty?

I appreciate the input. Thanks!

I recommend replacing it ASAP. There's rarely stuff you can do to fix it yourself. Even if you could I don't know if I would trust it.

I have RMAed WD drives before on a failed SMART, and to their credit, WD didn't ask any questions and issued a replacement, even though the drive was otherwise performing fine.

Failing a S.M.A.R.T. scan usually, but not always, indicates HD failure sooner rather than later. RMA if under warranty for sure.

I have a bunch of failed drives which I've accumulated over the years and some still work years later, others failed usually a couple weeks after posting issues. I use them to tinker with mostly, I don't trust them though.

yea do the backup but also check for firmware update as well.....might see if The SanDisk Guardian tool or whatever your supposed to use helps. i use parted magic on mine once a year to secure erase mine but i have no idea if that would damage a Sandisk model

I second (or third, forth, nth) replacing it immediately. I work in IT and I've replaced a couple hundred hdd's over the years via diags smart failure. They just ask for the error msg then my address to send me a replacement. IMHO it would be an oddity for any drive to keep working long term after a SMART failure.

I will admin to the possibility that a firmware update might do something but only because of all the news of individual brands/models having firmware related issues. But only if a google search of your drive bring up a bunch of hits of issues would I spend time on that.

I agree with the other posters.
SMART is there to warn you of impending doom to your data.
Most often the drive will become unusable.
I have only come across one drive that gives a smart error and still runs ok, out of thousands.

It is worth checking if this kind of problem has been fixed with new firmware.
If not, retire it or RMA if still under warranty.

Back