Dodgy capacitors on Pentium D 820

Josephson_Junction

Weaksauce
Bought this, marked as used (and fully functional), off an eBay seller and it arrived today. After opening it cautiously I noticed that one of the small capacitors on the bottom is missing, and two close to the center appear damaged. I absolutely hate to post this, but my awful cell phone camera is all I have access to at the moment:
iWIKcVx5pUTSU.jpg

(I'm going to borrow an actual camera off a friend and get a better photo later)

For reference, the area where the broken-off cap is resembles this:
ib1a1aKJudFfea.jpg

My main question is of whether or not this processor could render a motherboard unusable. Should I even bother to see if it works, or should I go ahead and arrange a return + refund with the seller? I have contacted the seller (asking if it was like this before it was shipped), and right now I'm waiting for a reply.

Also, while it was wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap inside an envelope, there wasn't much else to protect it during shipping.

Return it for a full refund and I would make them pay return shipping as it was sold to you faulty or by poor packaging arrived damaged. You shouldn't be out anything for that because the seller either made a mistake with poor packaging or sold you a bad processor knowingly or unknowingly.

I wouldn't put it in a mobo either, if it's damaged you have no idea what it will do to good components.

Return it for a full refund and I would make them pay return shipping as it was sold to you faulty or by poor packaging arrived damaged. You shouldn't be out anything for that because the seller either made a mistake with poor packaging or sold you a bad processor knowingly or unknowingly.

I wouldn't put it in a mobo either, if it's damaged you have no idea what it will do to good components.
Thanks. I also showed the below image to the seller and he's already refunded me.

Now that I think about it, this is the third time this year I've been pummeled by poor packing practices. From now on I'm going explicitly request decent packaging from eBay sellers on items like these, even if it raises the price by a small bit.

iS1cmgT2wufss.jpg

Back