DoD Funds Study to Regrow Bone Segments Using 3D Printers

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Scientists from the University of Arizona's College of Medicine are working with the Department of Defence to help heal bones using 3D printers. The basic idea is to print a plastic "scaffold" filled with calcium and stem cells to replace broken or missing sections of a bone, and allow new bone to grow into it. Pilot studies already show promise, and placing sensors inside the scaffolds to gather loading/stress data is reportedly the next step, as the scientists want to see if exercise helps patients recover more quickly. Thanks to cageymaru for the tip.

"Imagine an impact that causes half of a long bone to shatter so that it can't be put back together – no current surgical treatment can ensure that kind of injury will heal," explained John A. Szivek, PhD, a scientist at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson. "This is a really big problem for the military, where explosions or combat injuries can cause big bone defects." To help military personnel with these devastating injuries, Dr. Szivek, a biomedical engineer and professor of orthopedic surgery, has received a five-year, $2 million grant from the U.S. Department of Defense to launch a study to determine how to heal bone fractures using a combination of 3D printing and adult stem cells.

For all my fellow brothers and sisters who have served or currently still serving, this would be tremendous if this technology can be utilized to its fullest...

I'm waiting on artificial cartilage. I've got arthritis - the doctor basically just shrugs and offers meds (which don't work).
I did see one implant in which they insert artificial cartilage made from the same material as contact lenses. It's relatively new, and difficult to find out how long it lasts. The bone treatment is interesting - hope it works.

I'm waiting on artificial cartilage. I've got arthritis - the doctor basically just shrugs and offers meds (which don't work).
I did see one implant in which they insert artificial cartilage made from the same material as contact lenses. It's relatively new, and difficult to find out how long it lasts. The bone treatment is interesting - hope it works.
It is interesting. I think my spinal column is more arthritis than anything else by now ;) ...what I really need is a whole new 3d printed body but maybe that's the next step.

I got a bone you can grow.

Maybe they can grow some cartilage soon. Bones are still in my spine, the cartilage is not.

Dang, they had to cut a big mushroom of cartilage out of me.

Maybe they should have offered it to you guys secondhand? If I can figure out how to keep growing the stuff, this could turn into a business model!

Basically this:

wxaCral2lyvfFhu9aM03-GEYzrz6esT1rWRu5f1E9HM.jpg

If you have nearly limitless funds both Joe Rogan, Mel Gibson and Gibson's dad all got their cartilage fixed up good in Mexico for cash. They have a while podcast focused on it.

It is interesting. I think my spinal column is more arthritis than anything else by now ;) ...what I really need is a whole new 3d printed body but maybe that's the next step.
I'm ready for it. I have arthritis in my toe - I want a bionic toe. Faster. Stronger. Makes a cool noise. (Six Million Dollar Man - in today's dollars, 600 million?)

Back