"Document contains no data" error in Firefox :( Please help.

mathyou

n00b
I've recently started getting this alert when browsing certain web pages with Firefox. I know the web sites are still up because they (dell.com, rottentomatoes.com, etc) work just fine on my laptop next to me. In IE, the same site fail to work. "The page cannot be displayed" is what IE says.

I've tried turning off my software firewall. I've tried flushing the DNS cache. I know DNS is working since I can ping those domain names. If I point IE/Firefox to the IP of the sites, I still get the error. The same thing happens on my desktop when I am at a friend's house. So I don't think it is my router, etc.

Firefox .92. IE 6 (fully updated). WinXP SP1A.

A Google search turned up a lots of hits, but I didn't see anything that applied to my issue (or at least that offered a solution). I've never seen anything like this before. I'm really at a loss.

My hosts file is clean. I've checked. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

----------------------------------------------------------

I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. I had set PeerGuardian to run hidden (no system tray icon) in the background. That was dumb of me. It was slightly more dumb, however, for its latest banlist to block rottentomatoes.com, dell.com, etc. At any rate, my problem was easily solved once I got my head out of my rear. Sorry to all of you who wasted time reading this. And thank you for trying to help me. I truly appreciate it. I'll show that gratitude by not being a complete fool in the future. (I think I'm probably getting the better end of that deal. :p )

sounds like flaky DNS / NIC config if you get the same behavior in IE and Firefox. I really don't think it's a browser problem directly.

I don't have a direct solution to suggest, really -- just this new direction to look. Sorry I can't help more.

Back