Do you use m.2 heatsinks supplied with motherboards?

I've found that the heat sinks are somewhat restrictive for air flow but also work as intended. In the best cases, where no active air flow crosses them I've seen basically the same temps with and without the heat sink. I've only seen one motherboard that did it better and it still wasn't great. But that one had air that flowed over the drives and heat sinks. It was still barely better than breaking even.
Welp, one cheap NVME Heatsink later:

Code:
Temperature Sensor 1:               37 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               41 Celsius

This is down from:
Code:
Temperature Sensor 1:               64 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               80 Celsius

Looks like that $6.50 was some money well spent for peace of mind.

Well, I'm not sure why your temps are that high. My 980 Pro is only ~45-50C at any given time using the onboard heatsink.

Yeah, that's odd. I've generally not seen them run that hot, especially without heat sinks.

If anyone needs an additional motherboard heatsink let me know, I have quite a few parts boards and might have what you need.

Yeah, that's odd. I've generally not seen them run that hot, especially without heat sinks.
The crucial P5 seems to have a reputation for running warmer than the competition. At least, that's what I read, after purchase. The performance is pretty good, given the pcie 3x4lane with DRAM.

My 960 Evo runs pretty hot too, got a high of 76° on the Asic-controller according to HWinfo64 (seen it even hit 80°+ but I got some more fans now) and 52° on the drive, it's below my GPU so there is that.

It depends on the size, a 2TB runs a lot hotter than a 500gb.

Back