Do you use m.2 heatsinks supplied with motherboards?

Och

n00b
These heatsinks with the thermal pads look like they do more bad than good. Looking for advice whether I should use them.

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I use them.
Why would they do more bad than good?

IMG_1648.JPEG

doubletake

Gawd
I use them.
Why would they do more bad than good?
Probably because some of them are terribly designed, e.g. almost every lower-end ASRock board has what are little more than aluminum slabs, with few or any cuts, making them more heattraps than heatsinks due to almost no additional surface area. I guess it also comes down to the quality of the included thermal pad and how much case airflow there is, but in general most factory sinks are ok and not really any worse than leaving the drive bare. I think this mattered a bit more back before mfgs started including those integrated heatspreader-like labels that have foil in them to help greatly increase heat dissipation with even the slightest bit of airflow pointed at them.

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
The heatsinks which came with my Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro Wifi work just fine. The temps at idle alone are at least several degrees C cooler than when the NVME was installed in my Asus B450-f Gaming motherboard and no heatsink. I don't remember the exact temp at idle without heatsink but I think it was round 34C. At the moment with the heatsink it's idling at 28C.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using the one on my Asrock X570 Taichi, the thing is a gigantic aluminum slab and seems to cool just as well as basic coolers from my experience. Pain in the ass to remove the whole thing to replace a single m.2 unit though (and requires me removing the videocard and other PCI-E devices.)
Two of my M.2's that are underneath it are Gen 4 PCI-E that are known to be super hot. (Corsair MP600 and WD Black SN850)

I am using better and thicker thermal pads than the ones that came with the motherboard - but they're still pressing against the same heatsink.

1625542543919.png

Look at the size of this thing.

Nicer MBs tend to come with slightly better stock M.2 heatsink setups - and it really boils down to what you are doing with your SDD... As long as the MB stock SSD M.2 heatsink has thermal pads and is providing a bit of mass to help radiate heat, I can't see them being worse than not using a heatsink at all. If you are just gaming/surfing, odds are they'll be more than sufficient with what's provided stock with your MB... and they'll definitely be better than using nothing! If you are running apps where your SSD is being hammered non-stop, then you may want to look into how hot things are getting and possibly upgrading your M.2 SSD cooling solution. I'm fine with just running the stock MB M.2 heatsinks provided with my Dark Hero... they seem to work well.

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
This is my 980 Pro 1TB plotting Chia on my Dark Hero (D Drive and it's in the lower M.2 slot under the video card).
the room is 85*f, the USB drives are hotter than the 980 Pro plotting.

980-rpo-Chia.jpg

dvsman

2[H]4U
Running the OEM heatsink that came with my x570 Taichi - has an integrated fan so I assume it'll do better than a non-fan heatsink. Though sharing a heatsink with other heat generating IC may prove me wrong.

Burticus

Supreme [H]ardness
My Asrock 470 mobo came wth a m.2 heatsink, it looks better than nothing... but the Samsung 970 has this huge sticker on it I didn't want to remove and void the warranty.

3dprophet

Weaksauce
Mine is just a slab of metal with pads. Idle temp is 5C lower.

If the slab has decent thickness it will work. If it's just a thin piece of metal it won't do much.

Johnx64

[H]F Junkie
My Asrock 470 mobo came wth a m.2 heatsink, it looks better than nothing... but the Samsung 970 has this huge sticker on it I didn't want to remove and void the warranty.

Removing a sticker won't void a warranty. At least not here in the U.S.A

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Yes I use the heatsinks on my x570 board.

Ironically, the flash memory actually prefers higher temperatures. The main reason for using a heatsink is the SSD controller, which is basically like any other processor in that it generates heat and will throttle if it gets too hot. If using a heatsink means the difference between your SSD controller throttling or not, then that would make it more than worth it.

So you want to make sure that the heatsink is pulling heat from the SSD controller, but it's actually counter-productive to cool the flash modules. Usually you don't have that much granular control over what the heatsink cools, but it might be a consideration regarding where you put the thermal pads. If your SSD controller is staying cool even without a heatsink, then you might consider leaving the heatsink off and allowing the flash to run at hotter temperatures (again, the flash itself prefers higher temperatures).

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes I use the heatsinks on my x570 board.

Ironically, the flash memory actually prefers higher temperatures. The main reason for using a heatsink is the SSD controller, which is basically like any other processor in that it generates heat and will throttle if it gets too hot. If using a heatsink means the difference between your SSD controller throttling or not, then that would make it more than worth it.

So you want to make sure that the heatsink is pulling heat from the SSD controller, but it's actually counter-productive to cool the flash modules. Usually you don't have that much granular control over what the heatsink cools, but it might be a consideration regarding where you put the thermal pads. If your SSD controller is staying cool even without a heatsink, then you might consider leaving the heatsink off and allowing the flash to run at hotter temperatures (again, the flash itself prefers higher temperatures).
This has been tested, as long as your flash basically isn't actively chilled (far below ambient) it won't make a difference.
More cooling on the controller, however, does make a difference.

mda

2[H]4U
Hmmm quick question -- is the adhesive on the removable M2 heatsinks reusable?

Och

n00b
Ok, so the reason I asked this is because my daughters SSD has failed after two years. She brought it to me earlier today (she lives in a different state) and I am replacing it and fixing her computer. Her board is an Rog Maximus XI, and I used the heatsink supplied with the motherboard on the drive. When I removed the heatsink, the thermal pad was kind of gooey, and I wonder if this is what caused the drive to fail.

Och

n00b
Also, regarding temps. If you use Samsung Magician software, it only shows once temp, usually about 50-60C, but if you use software like Aida 64 that reads more sensors, it shows two temperatures for the Samsung m.2 NVME drives. My 970 Evo Plus usually idles at 50C/70C. I think the 50C is the flash, and the controller is at 70C. The controller is the metal part, and its much hotter to the touch.

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
My Z690 motherboard comes with slabbed Heatsinks the Manuel says to use these sticky contact pads on top of the controllers not sure if it's a thermal pad or what they are like 1/4 squares. I just read in the Manuel says it's just a cushion because they tell you not to use it on a double sided SSD.

Last edited:

bonehead123

[H]ard|Gawd
In my current rig, I have 2x WD SN750 blacks, 1 with the custom EKWB heatsink & thermal pad, and the other with the stock ASUS heatsink and pad that came with the mobo....both are in a huge case with tons of airflow over them, and neither drive is under the GPU.

The one with the EKWB heatsink is always running ~4-6c lower than the other one, but neither one ever gets over 38-40c...