Do you use anti virus / anti trojan with Win 10?

MrAgmoore

[H]ard|Gawd
1) Since games are moving on from Win 7 64 to Win 10 only, I'm forced to go in that direction. I use ESET & Malewarebytes. When I Google whether Win10 needs anti virus, I basically end up reading veiled advertisements for anti-virus, which isn't helpful. Do you guys use additional anti virus with Win 10 or do you just rely on the native defender software. How reliable is defender?

2) Another question is for retro gaming, can you emulate older OS like Win 7 and Win XP inside Win 10? ( Kind of like how Win 7 has an XP compatibility mode, which was hit or miss back in the day ).

3) Another question is about Win 7 Pro retail - from what I understand, I can use that key to get a free copy of Win 10 but the Win 10 will become locked to the motherboard ( like an OEM, rather than a fully transferable license ? ).

Thanks.

1. I do not use an antivirus, or otherwise, so I cannot help.

2. You can emulate just like in Windows 7. I do not find it works any better. If the requirement is there, I would just run a VM for the version you want.

3. Yes, you can use your windows 7 key for a free upgrade. I dont know if this can be done as an upgrade still, but I know it will work on a fresh install. It does end up locked to your motherboard, but I believe most that change them give MS a call and they can then activate on the new board.

The built in defender is about 30% less effective than the best AV:s

1) Since games are moving on from Win 7 64 to Win 10 only, I'm forced to go in that direction. I use ESET & Malewarebytes. When I Google whether Win10 needs anti virus, I basically end up reading veiled advertisements for anti-virus, which isn't helpful. Do you guys use additional anti virus with Win 10 or do you just rely on the native defender software. How reliable is defender?

2) Another question is for retro gaming, can you emulate older OS like Win 7 and Win XP inside Win 10? ( Kind of like how Win 7 has an XP compatibility mode, which was hit or miss back in the day ).

3) Another question is about Win 7 Pro retail - from what I understand, I can use that key to get a free copy of Win 10 but the Win 10 will become locked to the motherboard ( like an OEM, rather than a fully transferable license ? ).

Thanks.
1) I use ESET Internet Security and Malwarebytes. My Malwarebytes is the paid version.
2. Yes. I use Virtual Box and have copies of XP, Win7, Linux Mint 18.3 and Win10. I've run some games in these with no issues. Make sure you have plenty of ram: 8GB or more.
3. Not sure. I've updated several machines while in windows 7 pro. They returned as Win10 pro but not sure if the license is transferable.

And 6 months later and only 5 months ago rather than 11 months ago the story is different and from the same person. Hope this helps.

EDIT: AVTest rated Windows Defender 6 out 6 on the categories for the June 2020 while emulating home user use.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust a Microsoft product for security anyway but hey, that's your choice.

Thanks.
1) Windows 10 includes Windows Defender which is a pretty decent antimalware on it's own. If you have something like Malwarebytes real time protection, along with Defender, you should be set. However, I would not run ESET + Malwarebytes +Defender.
2) Can you emulate older OSes? Well if you mean virtualize, yes, but the gaming experience is not good. You are better off using online guides and such to get older games working on 10. Better yet, keep an offline XP box laying around for old games that won't run on 10.
3) Yep. You can either do an in place upgrade to 10, or boot to the Windows 10 installer, choose Pro, and type in your Windows 7 key. Once Windows activates you can reinstall the OS and "skip" product key and it will automatically reactivate. If you move to another motherboard/computer in the future, just do a fresh install and type in your 7 key again. As long as you are not activating multiple computers with the same key, and not keeping them in production, you are legal. But the act of typing in the key only needs to be done once per build, which does save the activation online which is what you are referring too and how the system will reactivate by skipping the key next time around.

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee Microsoft will forever allow 7 keys to activate 10. You may eventually want to/have to buy a 10 key. You won't lose an existing activation, but possibly may not be able to move to a new build/activation with a 7 key in the future.

I use ESET NOD32 on my gaming machine with Windows 10.

I wouldn't trust a Microsoft product for security anyway but hey, that's your choice.
Well, you posted a link to a third party tester to prove your point. Said third party retested Microsoft shortly after and found it just as good. So you are saying you don't trust the source you used to prove your point? I just don't seen your argument, Microsoft made it, it must be horrible. Except testing proves otherwise.

OP. I haven't used any additional anti virus software with 6 desktops used by my wife, kids and I without issues. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Windows 10 will automatically disable its own Windows Defender antivirus when you install third-party antivirus. If you uninstall the third-party protection, Windows 10 will turn back on its own antivirus.
https://www.proficientblogging.com/windows-defender-vs-eset/
I rather by sure by using a third party AV than the one from MS. Also, ESET Smart Security, ESET Internet Security, or ESET Smart Security Premium contain a built-in list of pre-defined websites that will trigger the ESET protected browser. The secure browser encrypts the communication between your keyboard and browser to provide additional security against keyloggers for banking transactions, credit card numbers and other sensitive personal data.

Well, you posted a link to a third party tester to.lrove.your point. Said third party retested Microsoft shortly after and found it just as good. So you are saying you don't trust the source you used to prove your point? I just don't seen your argument, Microsoft made it, it must be horrible. Except testing proves otherwise.

OP. I haven't used any additional anti virus software with 6 desktops used by Mez my wife and my kids without issues. Of course, your mileage may vary.
If it changes from day to day like that, it's yet another proof it can't be trusted.

If it changes from day to day like that, it's yet another proof it can't be trusted.
Day to day? It was a 6 month period of upgrades and definition updates.... now that's somehow more proof? Lol, so any anti virus that one day doesn't catch some things, but after a new release of definitions and can catch them is not to be trusted? You literally just argued that no anti virus software (or any software in general) that has been updated is to be trusted.

Ps. I get it you don't like Microsoft, which is fine and all, but it doesn't mean their product isn't ok. Read up on reviews and independent tests. If they start to slides then switch to another.

I don't but I know what I'm doing and MS own av is doing pretty well in testing. For the average non tech person I would recommend something in addition to it due to "people" being the weakest link.

Here's a link to a Microsoft Document on how to activate Windows Sandbox. According to this document Sandbox is available on Windows Pro and Enterprise. So if you are using the Home Edition it isn't available. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The document is dated "3/27/2020" so it it's not terribly out of date.

Day to day? It was a 6 month period of upgrades and definition updates.... now that's somehow more proof? Lol, so any anti virus that one day doesn't catch some things, but after a new release of definitions and can catch them is not to be trusted? You literally just argued that no anti virus software (or any software in general) that has been updated is to be trusted.

Ps. I get it you don't like Microsoft, which is fine and all, but it doesn't mean their product isn't ok. Read up on reviews and independent tests. If they start to slides then switch to another.
No, I argued that a trustworthy product has consistency, not fail miserably in one test and then do ok in another.

Windows Defender + OpenDNS (free account) + Ublock Origin in whatever browser you use = Low on Resources Good Protection Win!

Win Defender and firewall are good enough for typical use. If you are going to be DLing and visiting suspicious sites and files, you should be using a "throwaway" install anyway, SSDs are cheap as hell.

Back