Do you use a grounding strap, or another form of ESD control when building or working on your computer?

Do you use a grounding strap, or another form of ESD control when building or working on your rig?

• Total voters

xMAGIUSx

Weaksauce
Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are regarding ESD and working on their computer.

I’ve always worn a grounded bracelet when working on mine, but it’s because I had one available from work. I’m not sure if I’d have even considered it if I hadn’t been made to use one there.

Does anyone else use one?

Initial responses are making me feel better about not being able to find my grounding strap.

My case should be here today, so I can finally start the build.

I don't bother. My plan at home is don't work on carpet and touch unpainted metal before touching components. Hasn't failed me yet.

I don't at work either, but I work in a data center that has humidity / temperature control so it isn't an issue. I haven't seen other vendors that come in to fix stuff use them either but again it's a controlled space.

Never have, never will. Touch a grounded / plugged in device before hand and dont shuffle around on carpets...

I short myself to metal prior to touching anything. Haven't lost a component in 23+ years. Now when I was working on circuit boards on an esd mat I did wear the wrist strap connected to the mat to avoid damaging the boards, but they weren't in a chassis when we had to unsolder and resolder components.

Never have, never will. Touch a grounded / plugged in device before hand and dont shuffle around on carpets...
I do similar, I still consider this a form of static control so voted always...
"or another form of ESD control"
If your intentionally touching ground to dissipate static, this is a form of esd control.

I've accidentally zapped pins on all matters of electronic components with static from carpets and such and have never had any failures result. I've even zapped powered on video cards and they didn't have even so much as a glitch.

Not to say you should, but ESD is stupid overrated and some people get unnecessarily bent out of shape over it.

I've accidentally zapped pins on all matters of electronic components with static from carpets and such and have never had any failures result. I've even zapped powered on video cards and they didn't have even so much as a glitch.

Not to say you should, but ESD is stupid overrated and some people get unnecessarily bent out of shape over it.
as for the powered on cards, it sounds like you didn't zap them, they zapped you ;)

I short myself to metal prior to touching anything. Haven't lost a component in 23+ years. Now when I was working on circuit boards on an esd mat I did wear the wrist strap connected to the mat to avoid damaging the boards, but they weren't in a chassis when we had to unsolder and resolder components.
Working on PCBs is where I was first exposed to wearing a grounding strap.

I knew it was overkill for building a pc, but figured it wouldn’t hurt to use the one I had laying around.

I’m just planning to ground myself on my case from here on out. Not worth the hassle of using the strap.

Back