Do You Throw Out Your Boxes and Packaging Materials?

What do you keep?

• I keep everything: boxes/clamshells, foam/paper molds, ESD/plastic bags, caps, and even twist ties

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • I keep the essentials: boxes/maybe clamshells, foam/paper molds, and caps

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I keep the bare minimal: boxes, foam/paper molds and maybe some caps

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I throw out everything (packaging-related items only) including caps

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I only keep the hardware. Everything else gets thrown out (manuals, CDs, etc.)

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

brncao

Limp Gawd
When you purchase hardware, what do you do with the packaging? What is your reasoning?

Also, "cap" is referring to any solid cover that protects a hardware such as a protective cover that protects the CPU socket that you find on motherboards. Some people may throw these out once a CPU is installed. Video cards also have caps on them to protect the connectors.

Another thing, "losing" something is not the same thing as throwing them out because it is unintentional. You may still answer as if you didn't lose them.

I keep everything, for easy packing for selling used later or just for storage.

Same here. Wish I always followed this practice, I have a storage trunk in my closet full of old hardware that I need to sort through one day.

I only keep the original box, whatever accessories are still inside it when im done installing it, and maybe the foam insert if its a GPU/PSU.

after a while it goes, probably shouldn't but I don't have room for it

The Define 7 XL is sitting outside for recycle paper and boxes

This is funny cause empty boxes are a subject of contention at our house. The cedar closet has got some clothes in it... But it's 80% boxes, empty ones. My wife hates it

Console boxes are the worst, they're huge and flimsy

Boxes are kept for warranty reasons mainly. Sometimes if i think i might resell something i'll keep the box for that as well. After 4-5 years, the boxes become redundant, and are tossed. At that point I figure i'm keeping the hardware till e-cycle, or donating it to a needy neighbour/family.

edit:
I should add Mobo boxes are kept until the PC is tossed. They hold all the miscellaneous might need that in the future bits, and driver cd's (are those even still a thing?). Also any extra case bits, like screws, panel covers, extra cables, etc.

Last edited:
I keep boxes for 30 days in case I need to return to store.

For warranty repairs I'll just wrap it in bubble wrap and use an Amazon box.

I usually keep the boxes for high dollar parts for warranty and for resale when I do sell that items.
IMG_1627.JPEG

Here is an old pic from years ago when I was clearing out my closet and tossing boxes I didn't need anymore,
boxes.jpg

I keep everything, needs less grey matter. Helpful when RMAing as well.
Then if I need anything its always there and when I pass it on after I've finished with it, its like a new product still.
The new owner may have different needs, this way they get everything.

I keep almost all packaging materials.

I used to get rid of a lot of it but since retro / vintage packaging can go for as much as or more than the old hardware sells for I am kinda paranoid about throwing it out now.

Looking at the polls, I can officially say we are [H]oarders. Wear it with pride! If someone tells you you're abnormal for collecting all that "junk," refute their statement with this thread. They're the abnormal ones.;)

Boxes are kept for warranty reasons mainly. Sometimes if i think i might resell something i'll keep the box for that as well. After 4-5 years, the boxes become redundant, and are tossed. At that point I figure i'm keeping the hardware till e-cycle, or donating it to a needy neighbour/family.

edit:
I should add Mobo boxes are kept until the PC is tossed. They hold all the miscellaneous might need that in the future bits, and driver cd's (are those even still a thing?). Also any extra case bits, like screws, panel covers, extra cables, etc.

Same here... like, exactly the same, lol.

Reactions: travm
like this
I keep if i plan on reselling the component in the future and I throw it out some time later after the part has become obsolete. (E.g. Windows 3.11 boxes, zip drive boxes, etc. lol)

Back