Do you think we'll see PC focused, groundbreaking games ever again?

The large game studios are almost all publicly traded right now I doubt anything from major AAA studios will be PC First. Even if PC is the largest platform, it still makes more sense to reach a wider audience looking at it from a financial perspective. Valve and Epic are the only major videogame companies off the top of my head that are not publicly traded. So likely it would be one of these two companies to make a ground breaking PC First AAA game.

Last edited:
So you guys mostly sound like you're very satisfied with the state of pc gaming and are totally ok with this situation. I guess I expected something different on hardforum.

If people are accepting it here, I guess I have no further questions.

Maybe I just miss 90s/early 2000s pc gaming too much.

So you guys mostly sound like you're very satisfied with the state of pc gaming and are totally ok with this situation. I guess I expected something different on hardforum.

I feel it is out of our control. So it isn't worth thinking about it too much and just accept reality for what it is. I understand where you're coming from though.

Once everything moves to the cloud, which is going to happen in the next decade all of this is going to be a moot argument. Do you pay the 20 dollar a month tier for features/details/graphics/game library access/release date time frame, or do you pay the 100 dollar a month tier. Do you lease the game for 10 bucks for the basic version, or would you like the 20 dollar version with the DLC.

Xbox, Playstation, PC are all going to go to gaming as a service.
The argument will be the same, does big budget game resource go toward only game that has in mind a certain type of controller ?

I do not imagine someone care only if it is pc or the pc with a sony logo-microsoft-nintendo logo on it, but the actual type of game (with actual gaming scenario, type of controller, vr or tv, etc...) that is being made.

If KM+Mouse and other scheme were as popular on console than PC, would people care much that dev put energy and have them in mind ?

Last edited:
Check out star citizen. Imo that will be the game that will be groundbreaking once its done
The business model for CIG is to not ever have a finished product. Star Citizen won't ever be a fully playable game.

I suppose it is telling though that the only real big-budget PC-focused "game" (non-game) is one whose express purpose is to sell spaceship assets.

Yes, Japanese devs generally don't see PCs as lucrative as one might hope. But due to more people working from home, they've seen an uptick in PC gaming there as well.

I do know that many console development kits are actually PCs. The issue is that some devs (not just Japanese) don't seem to care that using a true PC development cycle would allow them to port their games downwards faster instead of the crappy upwards garbage.
You're missing what's going on there I lived there. First the PC there is mostly used for hentai games, dating sims, and visual novels. It's not a serious platform really with some rare exceptions. The second is that they develop for their audience and to a large extent games are to played as they were intended for that vision. Shit that seems odd to us like frame rate locks, odd resolutions that are locked in, are all part of that vision and how you should play the game. The notion that they should change this for a bunch of whiny snowflakes who aren't their audience to start with is odd. It's not shit ports because of sloth, it's this is the game and if you don't like it well it wasn't intended for you go cry to your mom.
This is a real bonus that I think gets overlooked. I tend to game like 95% of the time on PC, and I'm super grateful to have titles/series that used to be console-centric be released on PC with increasingly better support.

A game like what OP is asking for would have to take advantage of PC capabilities in a wholly unique way and still be capable of general widespread success...I just can't imagine what that might be.
The issue is that people want to take the good and keep their precious as well, which is the attitude of a child. Like you I play most of my stuff on my PC because it's in my area of the home and that's where I work and fuck it I keep my whole library on it. As someone who plays a ton of fighters, beat-em-ups, and metroid style games I like crossplatform it's amazing. For me the biggest selling point of my PC has always been all the input devices I can choose from!

There is nothing that can be done about it. Games cost too much to make now for AAA titles to be worth making as anything other than multiplatform and dumbed down to make them easy for the worst gamers out there followed with DLC cash extractions. That's where the return on investment is. The 90s and early 2000s are rose colored glasses. That only worked because games were cheap and easy to make, and the graphics arms race is to blame for ruining that era. If you were someone who really cared about resolution, fancy textures, and fancy lighting effects you own a share of the blame for the change as well!

And the 90s and early 2000s were no real gem either. There were plenty of problems. I now have a games library that ate up an 8tb drive and (outside of the current price gouging) adjusted for inflation parts are cheaper than ever. I can flawlessly beam my PC library to the TV and play on the couch, or even in my bed if I so choose to. I can play Street Fighter and instead of a pile of crap port it's completely legit and amazing. Ditto for Resident Evil. The new Streets of Rage hit on the PC and I can do it with that as well, ditto all the classic Castlevanias and I'll have the Steam Deck soon enough. Legit JRPGs like new Secret of Mana and Dragon Quest released on PC and they play fantastically well.

There are still great PC only games out, GTFO is amazing. And there are multiplatform games that even if they run well on a console work better on the PC like Doom or Hunt Showdown. There are a slew of PC only indie games and PC VR is the only one that has survived and pumped out great content. And even console exclusives can be played on the PC via Playstation now.

You can gripe all you want that there aren't AAA PC gaming exclusives while ignoring the fact that you were ever a max details cranker or resolution chaser or always bought high end GPUs you're just as guilty of it as any other party. Or you can look around and realize there has never been a better time to be a PC gamer... outside of trying to buy a graphics card!

they just aren't having the same impact for me.
sounds like you've grown up, and as a consequence the things you enjoyed before you no longer enjoy. just part of life. kids minds are being blown left and right, they are being impacted by stuff like roblox. maybe just take a break from gaming entirely, come back in 10 years. maybe you'll miss it enough by then and be surprised by what progress has been made. Looking too closely at the very small improvements in graphics or whatever is like watching grass grow and complaining it's not exciting enough

I really don't know what innovations are left, I think we're all out of innovations
I personally feel there's a TON of innovation left to discover. There may be some doom-and-gloom surrounding PC gaming, because focus has shifted, but there are things still in their infancy like AI, procedural generation, fluid mechanics, world-building. Imagine a game that simulates a tsunami rolling in, you have to survive, entire buildings are able to be knocked down unscripted and you can dissect smaller objects too if needed. You have to collaborate with other NPC or fellow gamers. The location, and everything, is unique each time. From the captured gameplay footage it would be indistinguishable from a real-life video recording @ 64K and surround sound, or whatever... Just one simple idea. This type of game is slowly coming, it just likely won't be a huge surprised when it does especially if you are paying attention.

I personally feel there's a TON of innovation left to discover. There may be some doom-and-gloom surrounding PC gaming, because focus has shifted, but there are things still in their infancy like AI, procedural generation, fluid mechanics, world-building. Imagine a game that simulates a tsunami rolling in, you have to survive, entire buildings are able to knocked down, you have to collaborate with other NPC or fellow gamers. The location and everything is unique each time. From the captured video it would be indistinguishable from a real-life video recording @ 64K and surround down, or whatever... that type of game is slowly coming, it just likely won't be a huge surprised when it does especially if you are paying attention.
One game I've always wanted dating back to when I first started playing Dune and C&C, was an RTS game, where you could select one of your units, and play 1st person with them. Then, zoom back out, coordinate a few things, then find another unit to play first person with.

One game I've always wanted dating back to when I first started playing Dune and C&C, was an RTS game, where you could select one of your units, and play 1st person with them. Then, zoom back out, coordinate a few things, then find another unit to play first person with.

While not RTS have you tried Valkyrie Chronicles? And I'll note this is another console game, from a console only style genre, that is now on the PC and works flawlessly thanks to cross platforming.

While not RTS have you tried Valkyrie Chronicles? And I'll note this is another console game, from a console only style genre, that is now on the PC and works flawlessly thanks to cross platforming.
Nope. Never heard of it. Just watched a gameplay video of it. Any FF after FF1 on NES sucks, so I wouldn't enjoy this game either. XD

Nope. Never heard of it. Just watched a gameplay video of it. Any FF after FF1 on NES sucks, so I wouldn't enjoy this game either. XD
Its not even close to FF, not saying you would not enjoy it, but from what i've played of VC its more of a Japan take on X-Com. Upgrade units between battles, turn based tactical/rts combat, some light Third Person Shooter mechanics.

However, to this post, have you tried Battlezone 98 Redux, and Battlezone Field Commander, its basically what your looking for in this post.

Its not even close to FF, not saying you would not enjoy it, but from what i've played of VC its more of a Japan take on X-Com. Upgrade units between battles, turn based tactical/rts combat, some light Third Person Shooter mechanics.

However, to this post, have you tried Battlezone 98 Redux, and Battlezone Field Commander, its basically what your looking for in this post.
Ah, ok. I just breezed through a video and got FF vibes.

Hm, I'll have to check that out. Though, it'd take an unimaginable force to break me from Path of Exile, I'm always open to trying something new as a league begins to wind down.

Ashes of Creation
Camelot Unchained
Patheon Rise of the Fallen

So labor intensive takes a decade to come out.

We have Farming Simulator 2022 and it just received an update to DLSS 2.3. What the f*ck more could you possibly want to assert PCMR dominance?

We have Farming Simulator 2022 and it just received an update to DLSS 2.3. What the f*ck more could you possibly want to assert PCMR dominance?
Hardware Physx to return. It was way ahead of its time in what it could accomplish and still outshines software cpu solutions to this day. Imagine the water behavior and wheat stalks flying!

Which type games are you the most exited to play ? Is there a title you would like to see the sequel?

Back