Do you think we will ever see a Half-Life 3?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Azureth, Feb 27, 2017.

Will we see a Half-Life 3?

1. Yes, I think it's in the works now.

23 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Yes, but still not for a long time.

37 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, Valve won't be making a third game.

125 vote(s)
    67.6%
  1. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Innovation is certainly more expensive and risky, but they can certainly sell well. Eventually it creeps into more mainstream games. A large amount of the "new" features in BF3/4 were borrowed from Red Orchestra, as an example. But a large part unwillingness on part of the publishers and part unimaginative customers. They don't realize it, but enhancements to old gameplay is welcome and well received. They just don't realize it until they play a game that branches out.

Mafia 3 is an excellent example of a such a game. It is GTA in the 1960s. The cars, guns and music is changed but aside from that the gameplay is just mirrored and as dull as GTA itself. Despite being set in the 1960s, the player can call in new cars, ammo trucks and the like. Even though cell phones did not exist back then. It is hilariously awkward to see the main character talk to himself aloud and then have whatever you ordered delivered right to you. They didn't even try to make the game fit the setting. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Ironically, the game was panned. Probably in large part due to GTA being the godfather of the genre and better marketing, but both series (at least GTA4/5 and Mafia 3) are just as underwhelming and stuck in the early 2000s. Had it not been for marketing and brand recognition, I bet GTA would have been panned to. I think the reaction to Mafia 3 is people realizing that genre is too played out and has not seen any good changes for well over a decade.

2. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

We will absolutely see another Half Life game. It's way too valuable of an IP. It's probably one of the most valuable game IP's ever. Certainly at the top of the top.

To this day, not a lot of games touch Half Life 2, period. This is a fact.

I would buy this game without question and so would millions other. The WORLD would literally buy this game.

How does a company say no to 500 million dollars?

They don't.

3. MikePatton121

MikePatton121 n00b

I would like to see a Half-life 3. I love all the series and beat them all.

4. MikePatton121

MikePatton121 n00b

5. Azureth

Azureth [H]ardness Supreme

Uhhh..How is the genre stuck in the early 2000s? Every game offers more and more.

6. 0neTwo

0neTwo Limp Gawd

Whenever they need a sure fire boost of money they will make it.

As it is now, they are running out of space to hold the money steam makes.

7. 0neTwo

0neTwo Limp Gawd

I hope they just release it one day without telling anyone or advertising. Like just one day its available to purchase on Steam.

karsten, Mr. Bluntman and Youn like this.
  8. Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane [H]ardness Supreme

Most people will not give a shit about a EP3 or HL3 sequel when it does come out. The game is 10 years too late to the market.

9. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

if by "most people" you mean of the entire population of earth, then yea...

10. Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane [H]ardness Supreme

By most people I mean gamers.

It's a dead game series.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  11. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

at this point HL has come and gone. let it die already. HL2 wasn't even that good. HL
    1 was great, came out at the right time, and did stuff that hadn't been done yet.

explain how they don't touch HL2??? please. HL2 wasn't the second coming of anything except maybe having some annoying ass physics puzzles for the sake of showing off physics. the engine is the only thing the come from the game that has any major merit.

with how FPS games are today, I don't think the world would be buying HL3. I bet a lot of the market doesn't even know WTH Half life is anymore, especially console only gamers.

if HL3 ever emerged, it would have to fucking epic beyond all epicness to be something important in todays gaming world. I highly doubt it would be.

12. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Naa, just throw some "RPG elements" like skill tree's and choose your own adventure mechanics in & people will be happy. That's what most games have now anyway.

13. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

Because people are bored themselves, therefore projecting onto others that the only reason for the boredom is x, y, and z.

There's really nowhere for games to go innovation wise, outside of something like VR. The only thing that goes up is cost to create. Sure, a game can come out here and there that uses some new mechanics, but largely, I feel that trying that hard to stand out isn't really worth it. Focus on good storytelling, and fantastic mechanics, coupled with no bugs. That's what people want. Also stop churning out bullshit sequels every 6 months, I'm looking at you Ubishit.

14. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

I don't really agree here. There are very few innovative games, and that includes if you go back to the beginning of video games. It's the easy innovations which are gone imho. When 2D and 3D first became popular, there was a lot of low hanging fruit for innovation. VR still has that now. But that doesn't mean you can't be innovative outside of VR. The problem with innovation is that it's hard, and I mean, it's really, really, really hard. It takes a special kind of visionary, which is near impossibly rare, and then you still have to be able to implement the idea. And then you have to sell your idea. Look to the indie scene, and not the AAA game world though, and sooner or later, you'll see something new.

15. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

Yes, but how often do we really praise a game for being innovative? We praise games for being fantastic, and fun, and great looking, sure. There isn't a lot of outstanding innovation going on, for innovation's sake. Let's step back a moment and try to understand what innovation really means though - is it completely different gameplay and art style? Is it the use of outside hardware (VR), combined with unique gameplay? It's really open to interpretation. I've got my own opinions, as we all do.

Sure, there are fantastic, no, incredible games coming out constantly, look at Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, FInal Fantasy XV, Quantic Dream's games. Hell, look at The Order: 1886. People shit on that game left and right, because it was more like playing a movie, but it still technically classifies as a game. It had a fantastic setting and story, incredible graphics, but it didn't quite offer enough, so therefore it never really got it's time in the light (perhaps they can fix that by creating a proper sequel). Was that innovative? I'm not sure really.

Anyway... It's incredibly difficult (not to mention risky) pouring countless hours into planning and development to try to make something profoundly different, I'm sure that's common sense. As someone who's been deep on the development (and a lot of planning sessions) side(s) of the gaming industry, it's a real pain in the ass to get stars to align to get everyone on board to work on an idea that seems out there even in the slightest, and when it finally does happen, and the game isn't as critically acclaimed as was hoped for, it's now twice as hard to make something as brash/bold.

16. Starbomba

Starbomba Limp Gawd

Don't really think we'll see a HL3. At this point it has been way too overhyped, it will not meet any expectations.

17. infin@

infin@ Gawd

18. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

a lot of innovation i've seen in games lately has made me return to good old games that just had a simple but good gameplay. to much bloat in a lot of games today in my honest opinion.

19. Toepunch

Toepunch Limp Gawd

20. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

only chance it has now is if they feel vr is popular enough and they make it a vr only type of game. But that could be another 10 years down the road

21. ZLoth

ZLoth Gawd

We have a better chance of seeing Kentucky Route 0 - Episode 5 released before we see Star Citizen. As for Half Life 3... well, all that Valve cares about is Steam and DOTA.

Enough said.

Flogger23m likes this.
  22. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

At this point, I've given up hope seeing HL3 or HL:E3. Valve left us in a cliff-hanger which isn't cool but if they choose not to continue the series then it is their choice. Nothing we can do about it.

23. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

I think they are past their time. HL2 came out 13.. THIRTEEN years ago. Let that soak in for a minute.

24. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

they were just waiting for gordon jr to hit puberty

AceGoober likes this.
  25. Johnx64

Johnx64 My poof SuX

hl1 hl2
    ep1 ep2
    l4d1 l4d2
    portal1 portal2
    tfc tf2

karsten likes this.
  26. dave343

dave343 [H]ard|Gawd

I just wanted Episode 3!!!!!!!! And I don't even care if they use the same original Source Engine, just finish the story and give us Episode 3!!!! Valve... are you reading this!?!? I'll pay you $100, just make episode 3 in source and finish the dang story!

27. OEM

OEM [H]ard as it Gets

28. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

29. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

It'll come out.

Somehow, someway, sometime...something with the name HL3 wil come out. And we'll be so excited. And it'll suck, because it'll be made by some third rate studio in Bulgaria who bought the IP for a few bucks.

While I desperately want there to be a real follow up to the series, I've lost hope that whatever follow up comes out will be any good or even relate to the story line properly. Why they never put to the task of actually making HL3 I'll never know...it's bizarre to kill off a series that craps money out for you. My guess like everyone else's is that Steam killed HL3. Just a lot cheaper to sell games than to design them.

30. Samson4EiT

Samson4EiT [H]ard|Gawd

Because crapping out 30% money off others games is a shitload more than making your own. Why tarnish the steam image on something that can't possibly live up to the height, might fuck with their bread and butter. Is probably some thought in the back of Gabe's mind that just won't allow him to okay it.

Pusher of Buttons likes this.
  31. Ryom

Ryom [H]ard|Gawd

Valve just updated Alien Swarm :p

32. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

I'm pretty sure that Gabe's made it fairly obvious that Half Life 3 is going to be their VR title that ushers in the new era of VR greatness. It's going to take awhile though until there is enough at home adoption of the tech for them to fund and launch a game of that magnitude though. I'd say another 5 years would be fairly realistic.

33. twonunpackmule

twonunpackmule [H]ard|Gawd

Whenever Half Life 3 comes out, I'll be there. Sweatpants on. As this boner is going to need a fabric able to withstand the bloodflow.

34. IamBen

IamBen n00b

Not really a fan but I hope so!!

35. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

36. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

“Update: It appears that, yet again, our hopes have been raised, only to be smashed down upon the cold, hard, rocks of reality. Shortly after this post went up, McVicker deleted the video containing the "five years or so" tease, saying on Twitter that two people have confirmed to him that the email was actually a fake.”

Nothing to see here. Move along.

37. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

or so = maybe, probably, never, mwahahahaha

38. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Games I would buy for sure
    - Hallflife 3
    - Halflfie episodes 3
    - Left4dead 3
    - Portal 3

Kinsaras likes this.
  39. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK [H]ard|Gawd

FTFY

Azureth, Kinsaras and SvenBent like this.
  40. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

The L4D team is making Back 4 Blood. Closest thing we will see to a sequel.

Rifter0876 and SvenBent like this.