Do you think we will ever see a Half-Life 3?

Will we see a Half-Life 3?

• Yes, I think it's in the works now.

Votes: 23 12.4%
  • Yes, but still not for a long time.

Votes: 37 20.0%
  • No, Valve won't be making a third game.

Votes: 125 67.6%

• Total voters

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
There's the joke that Valve doesn't like to make things in threes. But do you think we will ever see a Half-Life 3?

Personally, I think by this point no. Really stupid to leave it on such a big cliffhanger.

Valve does not really make games anymore. That is quite literally why all their creatives are leaving. The place is all software engineers now.

I feel extremely confident we'll see it someday. Nearly every long-squandered project I can think of (usually albums, but occasionally games like DNF and Prey) eventually came out. We might not like the result (I'm looking at you, Chinese Democracy) but I think we'll eventually see it in one form or another.

Who even cares at this point? I mean, was the story really that interesting that you're still waiting on a conclusion? Even if it were released, it would just end up looking like a cash grab since it could never live up to the hype.

It's been done for years. Test audiences went mad from how amazing it was. Brains melted. Others still haven’t woken up from their comas.

Mankind just isn’t ready to handle such power yet.

Halflife 2 in 2004.. Episode 1 in 2006.. Episode 2 in 2007.. If folks have cheeks still chapped ten to thirteen years later about a videogame's "cliff hanger" they need to reexamine priorities.

BPtTNFM.jpg

I feel extremely confident we'll see it someday. Nearly every long-squandered project I can think of (usually albums, but occasionally games like DNF and Prey) eventually came out. We might not like the result (I'm looking at you, Chinese Democracy) but I think we'll eventually see it in one form or another.

My longest awaited game The Last Guardian turned out to be fantastic and worth every minute of the wait, and like yourself I am sure we will see HL3 some day too. Valve knows how much hype there is around it, and the community will never let it die. Every single Half Life game and expansion has been fantastic and there are obviously millions out there who love the series. There is nothing wrong with staying cautiously optimistic about a HL3 coming out one day, because why not? It won't hurt. Also, there are a metric shit-ton of games that are coming out to look forward to.

It's not reassuring to know that Gaben confirmed Valve is working on 3 full VR games, but possibly after those three they might work Half Life into the mix. If they create a Half Life VR game I will be super pissed.

Not as long as Gabe is running the show it seems. He has no interest in making games. Once he kicks the bucket and someone else takes over the. Maybe.

I don't think so, for a few reasons. One, they've moved on from those kinds of games and seem to be intent on pushing out games made for the lowest common denominator (L4D, DOTA, ect.) which tend to be social games. They also seem to be intent on releasing games which may be based around gimmicks (VR). And then there is the hype, and how it would be hard for HL3 to live up to it.

it could never live up to the hype.

I really wish people would stop saying this. There is no hype. How can there be hype for a dead franchise? Everyone has moved on.

As I said before, if they released something with as much polish and good storytelling as HL2 and the subsequent episodes, then it would be a huge success. It doesn't need to be groundbreaking, it just needs to be a continuation of the awesome gameplay and storytelling that we've all come to love.

A large gap between releases has nothing to do with how good a game is. Duke Nukem Forever didn't fail because of "hype", it failed because it was a terrible game.

I vote Yes, Valve won't be making a third game.

When if ever it gets made it will be a outsourced to someone like arkane.

They've said time, and time again, that there is absolutely no interest in making it, or an "episode 3". The comment further goes on to say something along the lines of (but we may if there's enough interest internally between people), which basically just means "no you assholes, stop asking".

I've been in programming (and game development programming) long enough to know that repeated replies like this from guys higher up amounts to nada, zilch, and goose egg.

Here's the same answer, in gif format:

1HWQIPa.gif

Disappointing but HL was never Game of Thrones. 2007 would be disappointed, but I've had the last 10 years to get over it.

I was 21 when HL2 came out for Christ sake.

I really wish people would stop saying this. There is no hype. How can there be hype for a dead franchise? Everyone has moved on.

As I said before, if they released something with as much polish and good storytelling as HL2 and the subsequent episodes, then it would be a huge success. It doesn't need to be groundbreaking, it just needs to be a continuation of the awesome gameplay and storytelling that we've all come to love.

A large gap between releases has nothing to do with how good a game is. Duke Nukem Forever didn't fail because of "hype", it failed because it was a terrible game.

The fact that people keep talking about it means that there is hype though, and that we really haven't moved on.

I certainly agree that games like DNF were bad, but without hype, I don't think it could have succeeded. Take a game like Wasteland 2. It's an excellent game, but gamers actually did move on from Wasteland and Fallout 1 & 2, to the Oblivion with Guns sequels, and it just became a niche title.

Half Life was known for being groundbreaking for a lot of people, but the genre is just played out now. And the audience has changed. Half Life 2 came out at the very end of the constant yearly upgrading generation of computers, where you could have a killer app which could sell the machines. I don't even think it's possible anymore to have a killer app. What I mean is something like Half Life 3 could be the most innovative and greatest game to ever be released, to show off the true power of VR, and no one who doesn't have VR already would buy it.

Half Life was known for being groundbreaking for a lot of people, but the genre is just played out now. And the audience has changed. Half Life 2 came out at the very end of the constant yearly upgrading generation of computers, where you could have a killer app which could sell the machines. I don't even think it's possible anymore to have a killer app. What I mean is something like Half Life 3 could be the most innovative and greatest game to ever be released, to show off the true power of VR, and no one who doesn't have VR already would buy it.

FPS games are far from played out, especially on PC. Look how much praise the new Doom got, and that's a very simplistic shooter with barely any story.

And no more killer apps? That's ridiculous. Consoles are thriving on killer apps. Why can't PCs do the same?

Reactions: Zuul
like this
I would love to see HL3 come out, but I don't think it ever will. As said before, Valve has gotten out of the business of making games. I would bet the 3 VR games mentioned are being made by 3rd party developers, not Valve itself.

No because Newell hates gamers and Gordon Freeman.

Take a game like Wasteland 2. It's an excellent game, but gamers actually did move on from Wasteland and Fallout 1 & 2, to the Oblivion with Guns sequels, and it just became a niche title.

Half Life was known for being groundbreaking for a lot of people, but the genre is just played out now.

These are excellent points, but I don't think the genre is played out. If they rehash a 2004 game with 2004 type of movement and shooting then yes, it will probably feel lackluster. The problem is so few companies want to innovate, and instead make "bigger" games. As in, more needless side content that is terrible while being utterly terrible elsewhere. I put blame on games like GTA, because they sell so well. I suppose people don't want new and innovative, they just want longer and more content to they can say they spent 40 hours playing a title, even though only 20 hours of it was good.

These are excellent points, but I don't think the genre is played out. If they rehash a 2004 game with 2004 type of movement and shooting then yes, it will probably feel lackluster. The problem is so few companies want to innovate, and instead make "bigger" games. As in, more needless side content that is terrible while being utterly terrible elsewhere. I put blame on games like GTA, because they sell so well. I suppose people don't want new and innovative, they just want longer and more content to they can say they spent 40 hours playing a title, even though only 20 hours of it was good.

Companies don't really innovate, because they can't innovate. Innovation is expensive, and innovative games really don't sell. If you look at the true innovative games, they're cumbersome, and partly because no one really knows what to do. But once you have that first step, you can take the next step forward. And what people tend to think as revolutionary games are the games that saw the revolution, and saw the flaws and had ideas how to fix them. E.G. Few remember Dune II for RTS games, and even fewer remember Herzog Zwei (and even fewer than that remember Utopia). But Warcraft? Who hasn't heard of Warcraft? Dune II had a major issue in that you could only select single units. Warcraft fixed this, and Command and Conquer improved upon it, which Warcraft II picked up upon to be really the first major RTS. With 2D fighters, no one remembers Street Fighter 1, but everyone's played Street Fighter 2. Even Valve's original Half Life is less revolutionary, and more evolutionary. But it's significant in being the first polished game of it's type, and the first many played. And look at other Valve properties. They've really succeeded upon acquisitions of other companies games, or other peoples games (by hiring the talent), which they've improved upon, but gave the mass audience the first taste of those games.

And VR is apparently the next big thing. But right now, there aren't really any groundbreaking VR games. And that's what I mean more about being played out. Not that the genre is dying, but there hasn't been much innovation brought to the genre. But if VR isn't a gimmick, sooner or later someone is going to make the future, at which point, Valve might be the perfect medium to bring the future to the masses. And thanks to Steam, they're also in a position they can be picky. While Valve certainly needs money, they don't have investors breathing down their neck 24/7 to make sure next quarter's stock price will be higher than the previous quarter, by any means necessary. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and even Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, just aren't in the same position that Valve is in to usher in the VR era.

no one remembers Street Fighter 1
I do, I played it before SFII... it was just not that great, clunky controls and graphics.

It's clear that Valve didn't want HL3 to be just another sequal, they wanted it to be something big. I still say there's a chance they've been holding out for VR to mature before releasing HL3 on it. I used to get shot down so quickly when mentioning this, but it seems more people are accepting it now. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the "big 3" games they're working on are something else entirely.

Well Gaben said last month that Valve has three new VR games in the works. Lies?
3rd party or some developer they bought to make them.... I mean games with that VALVE gear on the dude head and that sound.... that's gone forever

its similar to how bad I want SYSTEM SHOCK 3. SS2 was one of the best PC games ever made... but they decided to go to the BIOSHOCK series instead with it. a spiritual successor to SS2.... I don't even see that happening with HL

its similar to how bad I want SYSTEM SHOCK 3. SS2 was one of the best PC games ever made... but they decided to go to the BIOSHOCK series instead with it. a spiritual successor to SS2.... I don't even see that happening with HL

If System Shock the reboot sells well... But if you look at the other threads about it, apparently there's a lot of negative talk about it. And sadly, with most gamers never having played the first two when they were released, I'd say when the game is released, it will be a great indicator on how Half Life 3 would be received (albeit on a much bigger scale).

Back