Do you think the XBox One is done before it gets started?

Do you think the XBox One is done before it gets off the ground?

• YES

Votes: 76 53.9%
  • NO

Votes: 65 46.1%

• Total voters

YeuEmMaiMai

Extremely [H]
Simple question so there are only 2 answers yes and no

Given the total, and I do mean total cluster plug that MS has given gamers with this underpowered 1980's VCR shaped box, what do you think?

Nope. MS are already moving away from "core gaming", as evidenced by their reveal (tv, tv, tv), and casuals don't care about this stuff. They want the new CoD and Madden and then they want watch movies and TV and that's it.

That's the market that MS cares about, because that market is HUGE and the market that cares about great games, indies and not feeling exploited is much smaller. MS thinks they've outgrown the gaming market.

"Thank you for the ride, getting our machine into every home, but we don't need you any more", said the scorpion.

They'll continue paying lip service to it this generation, but if they're successful the next-next Xbox will be just powerful enough to play the latest Angry Birds, as they continue to chase Apple and Google into the sunset.

That is why more and more people are moving to PC gaming. let the consoles continue to concentrate on media and motion control kittie games and let PC concentrate on proper games.

Win win for PC users imo
BF5 will possibly be a PC exclusive :)

I think this is a fair question, but the answers should have more selection.

I still think the console will sell well, just not as well as it could have if it wasn't for the DRM.

Until we got the (supposed) definitive answers from Micosoft today (you can only loan a game out once, and only to someone who's been on your friend's list for 30 days or more), I was hoping they would make their DRM feature unobtrusive, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm ready to write them off and either get a PS4 or upgrade my PC. If they manage to get an exclusive I really want, I may feel different, but I don't see that happening.

No. The audience complaining about the XBone's questionable features is a loud but very small minority.

If it has a good selection of games, it'll sell plenty.

No. The audience complaining about the XBone's questionable features is a loud but very small minority.

If it has a good selection of games, it'll sell plenty.

I always thought people calling the X-Box One, the "XBone" was a snide comment coming from a facetious and sardonic place. But it seems that people are in fact going to call it that, even supporters. "X1" sounds cooler and is quicker to type. But "XBone" is probably more accurate.

I laugh.

It'll sell good, but probably not meet their sales estimates. People want the Xbox.

There are those few vocal people that won't buy it because it is too restrictive and go with the PS4. But, they are the minority.

I think it's not going to be that successful because they're guilty of the crap that pisses everybody off and that's gonna be this constant internet connection and halting used games basically. I think that'll piss enough people off that they'll turn to Sony for their gaming.

No. The common console gamer will simply "deal" with the increased DRM on the Xbox One. The core group however is disgusted enough to jump ship IF Sony doesn't announce similar restrictions and always online requirements with its PS4. However I believe that even if Sony doesn't announce any changes at E3 , there is still quite a few months til launch and they could basically announce it at a later date.

Until the PS4 is on shelves there is simply no way of telling if they will attempt to copy MS or not. At this point they also realize that many gamers are upset and that they could capitalize upon this opportunity to take over the number one slot in the mean time.

E3 is a joke this year , yes we'll get games announced that we were not expecting but MS has canceled its post E3 interviews entirely and Nintendo isn't even having a conference this year. Everything has changed and sadly not for the better.

I don't really see it as a loss. The big conference presentations have been awful the past few years. I'd be for MS and Sony cancelling their dance-fest casual game hours as well. Let the pubs and devs do the game announcements in smaller talks.

I think there will be enough people out there looking forward to the next Halo, Gears of War, Forza, etc., that they'll buy the system regardless, and it'll still sell well. How well, who knows? If they're not going to cave to the criticism and pressure they've been experiencing right now, and they don't hit it out the park at E3 in a few days, it's going to become a much harder sell.

tumblr_mnmghgM6dJ1qk5zuho1_500.jpg

More image propaganda against Microsoft's new console.

Imagine if video-on-demand services take off or when we have the ability to watch movies in our living room and the studios require a Kinect-like device in every household to determine how many people are watching...

For entertainment features, good set top box.

For everything else, not so much. With the amount of bad press and reaction from the gaming community in general, this console is not going to sell as much as Microsoft would hope it would. It's like how reaction was to Microsoft's Windows 8 OS upon release.

I really hope the backlash will be enough to put a huge dent in Microsoft's sales or plans. But the practical part of me says that it won't. The majority of the people that are gonna buy this are completely clueless. Like others have said, huge market.

I couldn't believe people paid for Xbox Live. That is a monumental ripoff and totally a perfect example of milking retards. If M$ can get away with that, then why shouldn't they try this? Sony hasn't charged yet for basic multiplayer connectivity, so that makes me at least somewhat hopeful that they wont go the M$ route with this, either.

It'll sell good, but probably not meet their sales estimates. People want the Xbox.

There are those few vocal people that won't buy it because it is too restrictive and go with the PS4. But, they are the minority.

This is how I feel it will pan out.

I for one am sad as playing Halo with my friends spread out all over the country was one of the things that still brought me joy in gaming (MP).. probably in general too.

Nope. I will bet the price of an Xbox One that publishers will bend Sony over a barrel until Sony agrees to allow for the same controls over game usage that the Xbox One will allow.

If that indeed does happen, any advantage consoles have over PCs will be dead.

There is a LOT of complaining about it online, but many of the people complaining about it are likely PC gamers and/or PS3 gamers who weren't going to buy it anyways. The less informed Xbox buyers are going to buy it anyways. The more informed ones may hold off on purchasing due to the DRM, but odds are they eventually will cave wanting to play Halo.

Do we all remember when Half-Life 2 came out on PC? A vocal group said they were not going to buy the game due to Steam. They didn't want the DRM and associated client running. We all see how that turned out. Many people will eventually view XBone games being tied to their account as a convenience instead of a restriction, the way we see Steam.

I have to ask though, is the market for used games really that big? I know when I am in Gamestop, it seems they have HUGE inventories of the popular games used. It seems that way more people trade in used games than purchase used games.

Xbox One seems to be shifting more toward what Steam does in terms of gaming and how they 'license' games. I don't think this will be a be the end of M$ console days but it will hurt them. how much is anyone's guess.

I wonder. Will console gamers enjoy the "DEEP" discounts that PC gamers enjoy with Steam sales, Greenman Gaming and other digital retailers to offset the DRM.....? Don't count on it.... well maybe with Gamestop, though all of this is just my guess, lets see what the future brings

I think if MS can do with the XBO what Steam does in terms of pricing for console games it will be a massive success. So I don't think it's done before it begins.

This doesn't mean I think MS will do what steam does in terms of pricing or that I think the XBO will be a success...just that there's still time to save it.

No, because most people don't care.

The only people that are complaining about it are websites and magazines that want to sell copies to hardcore gamers and a few minor forums on the internet.

I GUARANTEE the average person gives zero fucks about this and they will still line up day 1 to buy one.

No, because most people don't care.

The only people that are complaining about it are websites and magazines that want to sell copies to hardcore gamers and a few minor forums on the internet.

I GUARANTEE the average person gives zero fucks about this and they will still line up day 1 to buy one.

Absolutely. And while I'm not thrilled with how things are moving forward, if they have an exclusive that I just HAVE to play, I'll jump on the bandwagon. For my part, good games trumps everything else.

Absolutely. And while I'm not thrilled with how things are moving forward, if they have an exclusive that I just HAVE to play, I'll jump on the bandwagon. For my part, good games trumps everything else.

Are you serious?
They can show 100 AAA games next week and that will not make me buy their trojan horse. There isn't a damn thing MS can do to justify what they have done with that box.

So a good game trumps your consumer rights? Mind blowing. No wonder freedom in America is disappearing, nobody fucking cares anymore. Xbone is absolutely disgusting and insulting.

Xbox One seems to be shifting more toward what Steam does in terms of gaming and how they 'license' games.

Except last time I checked, Steam didn't require a webcam and microphone on in order to function. So there's that.

And lots of console kiddies with mommy's credit card that will line up for a nextgen console don't know or care what Steam is. So the constant comparisons to Steam as some sort of justification for what MS is attempting in terms of draconian licensing policies is a little naive, if not outright deflection. XBONE's biggest problem is going to be the PS4, not Steam.

Are you serious?
They can show 100 AAA games next week and that will not make me buy their trojan horse. There isn't a damn thing MS can do to justify what they have done with that box.

So a good game trumps your consumer rights? Mind blowing. No wonder freedom in America is disappearing, nobody fucking cares anymore. Xbone is absolutely disgusting and insulting.

I truly appreciate and understand you're point, however:

My consumer rights give me the right to not buy it if I don't like it.

Microsoft is not obligated to give me exactly what I would like and I am not obligated to buy their product.

Most of this angry noise will diminish over time and many who are pissed now will come slinking back with their tails between their legs so they can play Gears of War 4 or Halo X. All I'm specifically interested in is exclusive RPGs and particularly exclusive JRPGs, of which there were very few on the 360.

Most people will just buy it because it's the next XBOX, oblivious to the new "features", because that's what their kids want or just because they're, well...oblivious.

Roll on E3. Let's get this shit sorted out.

Just like everything else people will complain but buy it in the end. I see numbers being even bigger than before. It will truly take years before people realize what is happening to games and has happened. It might take them sitting down with their kid to play an old game only to find they can't. It might take people exceeding their bandwidth caps. I truly don't know what will cause people to sit up and realize the game companies aren't their friend.

You guys act like video game companies are eternal.
They can die, and this can kill Xbox. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I haven't completely given up on the market either, so I do think most customers that are looking at new consoles will do their research (and I'm not talking about the parents. Todays children are raised on the internet, there is no way kids that are interested in the this haven't already seen that awful news. Probably the ones making the loudest stink on the net, no less.)

I guess we will see soon.

All the Internet complaining doesn't matter at all to MS, we are not their target. They are actively trying to kill used games, and this will force companies like Sony to also have to give in.

Xbox is a US centric console, they want to sell to people who buy CoD/Madden every year and pay up for Live. That market will lap it up. And they no doubt will get money from publishers for starting this trend of blocking used games.

I truly appreciate and understand you're point, however:

My consumer rights give me the right to not buy it if I don't like it.

Microsoft is not obligated to give me exactly what I would like and I am not obligated to buy their product.

Most of this angry noise will diminish over time and many who are pissed now will come slinking back with their tails between their legs so they can play Gears of War 4 or Halo X. All I'm specifically interested in is exclusive RPGs and particularly exclusive JRPGs, of which there were very few on the 360.

Most people will just buy it because it's the next XBOX, oblivious to the new "features", because that's what their kids want or just because they're, well...oblivious.

Roll on E3. Let's get this shit sorted out.

Microsoft did call everyone sheep at one point, after all. At this point, I'm not getting one. I might, if it's hacked to living hell, AND there are games that I want to play on it. Given that the games on Xbox recently have been catering to people who like Modern Warfare and the like, I find that unlikely.

The ball is in Sony's court. I can't say I like their past, but if a console game comes out (and I'm sure the publishers will try to keep it on them because of their fear of piracy) on it, I might get it... unless they do similar things to MS.

If not, PC all the way. Just sucks that it is usually lacking.

If pricing followed in the path of Steam, I'd buy an XBone. Game prices are the huge deterrent that keeps me from buying console games. More games out there than I could ever play, I'll buy the $7.50-$15 game on sale thru Steam rather than the $30-$50 "on sale" for console games. It's not like I'll be running out of games to play.

Simple question so there are only 2 answers yes and no

Given the total, and I do mean total cluster plug that MS has given gamers with this underpowered 1980's VCR shaped box, what do you think?

so you think the psp vita is a better hand held console than Nintendo's dsi because of the graphics? :D

I hope the rumors about the esram, down clocking, yield problems,etc... are not true. Competition is good, having one major player (consle) is not good for anybody. Sony is no saint and they will milk us for all they can.

I don't think anything can be "done" before launch; however, in my household - there will be no XBO.

I'm sure people will buy them...after all, there were plenty of Wii's and 3DS's sold despite me thinking otherwise would happen.

I think (if Sony plays their cards right and Nintendo can actually do something) that Microsoft could easily end up in last place though.

Its target audience will eat it up. MS has built a brand and that alone will carry them into the homes of the uninitiated.

Haters gonna hate. Just got an email from Amazon to pre-order the Xbox One...so I did. :)

Depends on what you mean by done. I don't think it will be dreamcasted, but MS has dug a deep hole. I think their business plan with all the emphasis on non-gaming features is fundamentally flawed. And the entrenched DRM is a nightmare.

The system's hw and OS is half baked. It will end up with less market share than 360. But it will still probably have a few good exclusives over the next few years. But multiplatform games are gonna look pretty bad on X1 compared to PS4/PC. I don't expect MS to reveal any detailed hw specs. They will keep quiet like Nintendo. They have nothing to gain by allowing a spec comparison against PS4. But it will eventually leak. Especially if it gets underclocked for yields.

Microsoft's press conference was very impressive. I put in my preorder with Amazon. Hopefully between now and launch they'll support rentals.

Back