Do you think a 3007WFP-HC is my best option?

Ferris1

n00b
After 13 - 14 years, I am upgrading my Viewsonic 21" CRT. I am looking for a 30" monitor. I am not a gamer. I am a multi tasker so I constantly have many windows open and I am looking for more real estate.

I do lots of picture and video stuff and I sometimes like to full screen a movie (only played through PC) so I would rather have a single monitor rather than multiple smaller ones.

I don't need to hook up any other components/devices so I don't need multiple inputs or a scalar.

I don't mind paying for quality/performance (my current CRT was about $2000 when I bought it) but I don't need to pay for a bunch of stuff that I will never use. I'm not in any hurry if there is something right about to come out (isn't there always). I've read a lot of anticipation about the NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK but that doesn't mean anything until someone actually get their hands on it for a review.

The only thing that makes me hesitant about the Dell is the negative posts about backlight bleeding but maybe that is only from the super-critical consumers.

I'd sure appreciate any opinions or direction to pertinent product reviews/comparisons.

Thanks,
Ferris

If you are interested in the DELL 3007WFP-HC, you may consider the HP LP3065. The price is a bit more, but I've seen several new ones with 3 year warranties being sold on Ebay for around the price of the DELL.

I've got one coming in this week and will post what I think when I have had a chance to use it. Based on other reviews the DELL and HP use the same panel, were neck and neck with performance, and the HP adds 2 additional DVI inputs (although their use is not great since it requires a dual link dvi card in the secondary computers). I'm not sure how the backlight bleed compares. DELL also is pretty forgiving about exchanges, I once exchanged my 2007wfp 4 times before getting one I was happy with.

For non-gamers, the NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK will be the best option, if it's up to the quality of the 2490 and 2690. With the large size of a 30" monitor, the polarization filter that reduces the off-axis glow will help. (if it has this same filter as the 2490 and 2690).

The 3007WFP-HC would be my choice, but only because of the lower input lag and the lower price. The input lag doesn't really matter much if you don't game.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will wait until I can get some input on the LCD3090WQXi-BK and then see if I feel it is worth the extra coin.

I finally was able to give my HP LP3065 a run last night with COD4, it's amazing. The monitor doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels, color is uniform, no backlight bleed. The only negative is a bit of shimmer on white backgrounds, this is normal for the 30" IPS panels from what I understand.

I'd recommend this monitor if you are looking for a 30" IPS.

I'm still deciding between the Dell 3007WFP-HC, HP LP3065, and NEC LCD3090WQXi-BK.

I have finally started to see some posts from users who have the NEC. While they seem positive, I haven't seen anything that makes me think I would really benefit from the added features/cost. Since am not a professional and don't do precise picture editing I probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference (would I?).

The thing that makes me the most nervous, is shelling for a nice 30 incher and getting a bad one (bad pixel(s), color uniformity). I think based on professional and user reviews, I would lean toward the HP but their return policy states that exchanges will only be made for a refurbished unit.

I am impressed with how good Dell's return policy seems to be (based on user posts). That leads me to think that I would be safest in getting a good panel if I go with Dell. They seem to have the least hassles in exchanging sub-par panels.

Is there something else I should be considering? BTW: I am not a gamer and I don't need to be able to connect other sources so one connection is fine. I don't mind paying more for something superior but no sense in paying for what I don't need.

I need to weigh in on a couple of issues. I have a Dell 3007-HC sitting a box that I plan to return.

Return: Policy: Depends where you are and how much you value your time. I am in Canada, the Policy here is: You pay the shipping and possibly 15% restock. Still not sure if I am on the hook for that. I have already paid 1 hour of my life being bounced around by their customer/tech support.

Panel Issues:

Pixels: My panel had 1 mostly dead pixell (blue and green dead). Minor I could live with it.

Uniformity: fairly poor. Left side darker, bottom darker. Logom viewing angle test changed drastically in these areas. Bottom right corner has strong white glow, none of the other corners did. Very distracting. You could change panels for a while to get better, odds of perfect poor. I believe these big panels have uniformity issues. If I was keeping it, I would try for better. Also the panel has a significant white glow off axis.

Brightness: Even on zero, I found the backlight too bright after warmup. Meaning you need to muck with the graphics card to fix it. Not good as it muddies contrast. Disappointing, but the norm these days.

Color: This is the big killer and why I am not trying to get a replacement. No professional level needed. I just want realistic looking color to my eye. Wide gamut panel with no internal controls means color will NOT be realistic in most circumstances, even if you calibrate. I spent days trying to get something usable.

I loaded two calibration profiles from the web. Now they won't be perfect but you get to see an improvement and where they work/don't work. It worked in color manged applications (meaning photoshop and beta of firefox). Didn't help in 98% of applications, didn't work in movie players, didn't work in games.

Next I tried graphics card controls. Nvidias are poor for this as there is no Negative vibrance, which is kind of what you need. Still with a lot of messing around I got it tamed somewhat. But still didn't work in movies or games. There was a separate section for movies. Hue adjustment was very difficult for movies. was looking at a cartoon and getting the sky blue while skin tones even close was a very tiny adjustment range. Color still didn't look very good, borderline.

Games: nothing. It was actually oversaturated enough to be annoying in games.

I had different color in game/apps/movies. Oversaturated to an aggravating degree in games. All the desktop adjustments took the original smooth gray scale gradient and introduced steppings and color intrusions (as did the profiles)...

So if you want normal or even semi normal consistent color, look elsewhere. I had a $1300 IPS screen that was shamed on the color front by a $200 TN screen sitting next to it, that just had good realistic color everywhere.

Though many people like hopped up color. You may be one. You could pay your money and find out.

I recommend the Samsung 305T. It's a PVA panel, but I think it's the best 30" LCD on the market. It's amazing for games and graphics. Samsung has an iron-clad 3-year zero dead pixels warranty, too.

Thanks for the info.

I just remembered why I discounted the Samsung in the first place--no HDCP. That seemed to have the best picture quality among the reviews. But my LG Blu-ray/HD DVD drive doesn't like it. Too bad they don't have an updated model with that additional feature.

Anyone else want to chime in on 305T vs. 3007WFP-HC...assuming HDCP isn't a factor? Everyone seems to automatically say the 3007WFP is better but just give the reasoning that the IPS is > PVA usually.

Back