Do you stop playing a game because there is nothing left to unlock?

Unlocks and achievements are the biggest POS kiddy idea that came to PC gaming. Oh, Quake/UT99 days, how I miss you...

exactly this. you can go on playing a game because you want to become better at it, not for unlocking stuff.

as for the baked beans comment, it's just a cool way to commit suicide:

tub_fin2.gif

It's a sardonic reference to the film Se7en where one of the victims is killed by being forced fed baked beans until his sides literally split. First victim IIRC. ;)

On topic:

For me unlocks are an initial annoyance that once I get past allow me to properly play the game and enjoy it. Certainly for BF3, once I got and settled on my favourite kit/setup, I've just stuck with it ever since. I haven't unlocked well over 80% of the kits because I have a class I like and stick with it. I play to win, not to unlock. :cool:

Playing to unlock is a gimmick for people who are mediocre at games and might otherwise stop playing if there wasn't some ulterior motive to keep them motivated. So it helps keep the online community alive. Looking at it from that perspective, I think it's a good idea, but only if implemented well.

The problem with this is that in many games and almost always games with unlocks there are balance problems and readjustments for game play. Today the hot weapon is X then a patch comes through and its Y and the reality is that companies most likely are doing this intentionally, balance was never a big issue in the early 2000s because if a gun sucked you just didn't use it, but it became a huge issue in recent years because people don't actually have access to everything. People will make large investments in time and even money to get a weapon then see it nerfed after that.

I can't tell you how many times in a game with unlocks I unlocked a weapon only to have it nerfed to hell a week later in a patch and I missed out on a better weapon.

Quake is actually a pretty good example think about how impossible it would be to balance things like the quad if you had to unlock it.

Back