Do you still use windows 8/8.1 ?

why not downgrade to win7 or upgrade to win10? why use the tiles on win8?

Because Windows 10 doesn't have Windows media center, and using Classic Shell with the logon to desktop option for windows 8 turned on doesn't suck. :)
Windows 8 has a lot of internal design advantages over Windows 7, especially in regards to storage, software security, and virtualization.

Windows 8 will go away for me when both of the following occur:
1. Silicondust ever gets DRM recording working on HDHomerun DVR (darn you to heck for DRM'ing almost everything Time Warner Cable)
2. When I can migrate test VMs for Hyper-V from Windows 10 workstations to Windows 2016 Server RTM

The more I use windows 8.1, the more I appreciate it. I think windows 10 was too much and after using it, I realize that 8.1 is actually a really good OS. Its a good improvement over 7 but doesn't quite push the envelope like 10 does. Plus im one of the people who use a cablecard DVR, so having access to Windows Media Center is critical for me.

w8.1 with classic shell rocks completely. Most stable and non buggy OS I have ever run. Really all set with w10 for now. Tiles? I see no tiles ever...

One of the reasons I moved from 8.1 with Classic Shell to 10 is that on 8.1 you were forced to use a Microsoft account if you wanted to use OneDrive. 10 allows you to use OneDrive with a Local account. But that's really a minor issue.

The primary reason I switched to 10 is that Windows 10 is the future. Sure you can resist for a few years but eventually hardware and software will require you to move, plus you won't miss out on great improvements they do make. Microsoft is obviously listening to people so resisting to move isn't going to do anything except limit your ability to provide useful feedback. Windows 10 is a great OS minus the UX stuff.

Think about the people refusing to leave XP. It's easier to just get use to it now, rather than later. I didn't like the Office 2007 ribbon at first and now I can't imagine going back because I got used to it.

Last edited:
uglzlpR.png

Here is my Win8.1. Where do you see tiles?

I use Classicshell so my Startmenu is fully functional and better than what Win10 has. But I do use the tiles on occasion to launch favorite games and apps instead of cluttering up my taskbar or desktop with icons. Win8 is more lightweight on resources than Win7, no "do you want to switch to basic mode?" after running a game due to aero. I have no reason to use Win7 or Win10.

Windows 7 is slower than 8.1 and 10 offers no significant advantages or improvements over 8.1 at this point in time. 10 is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.
One of the reasons I moved from 8.1 with Classic Shell to 10 is that on 8.1 you were forced to use a Microsoft account if you wanted to use OneDrive. 10 allows you to use OneDrive with a Local account. But that's really a minor issue.

The primary reason I switched to 10 is that Windows 10 is the future. Sure you can resist for a few years but eventually hardware and software will require you to move, plus you won't miss out on great improvements they do make. Microsoft is obviously listening to people so resisting to move isn't going to do anything except limit your ability to provide useful feedback. Windows 10 is a great OS minus the UX stuff.

Think about the people refusing to leave XP. It's easier to just get use to it now, rather than later. I didn't like the Office 2007 ribbon at first and now I can't imagine going back because I got used to it.
Mainstream support for 8.1 doesn't end for another two years, and extended support lasts another 5 years until 2023. What difference does it make if you switch sooner rather than later? There is going to be a learning curve regardless. And in that space of time the operating system can mature to the point that it is worth it to switch.

Back