Do you still need to run driver cleaner on Vista?

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
I was pretty sure ATI directly commented that no, you don't really need to do all that shit any more, but I can't seem to find it.

Confirm / deny?

I would.

Doing it now with W7.

Last edited:
Terry Makedon the maker of catalyst said no. I didn't listen, ran it, and totally fucked my windows 7 install. Had to re-install windows.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

NO. Windows vista+ (meaning vista and 7) Use the new WDDM 1.1 it "unloads" the windows driver (your screen goes black) then it loads the new driver and you don't even have to restart when you upgrade your drivers. I've yet to restart my PC after upgrading my drivers in the past 14 months i've been using vista/7

I've never used Driver Cleaner or even uninstalled older drivers in Vista. I just install the new drivers over the old version and it works perfectly.

I've gotten into a habit of sweeping/cleaning the drivers prior to installing the new drivers. It only takes a few more minutes...

I usually just uninstall the old driver first and then install the new one. Not had a problem yet.

Terry Makedon the maker of catalyst said no. I didn't listen, ran it, and totally ********* my windows 7 install. Had to re-install windows.

I have used CCC and Driver Sweeper and the ATI uninstall utility since day one with Windows 7 without any problems. It's the only way to truly do a clean uninstall and clean install.
Again not a single problem with Windows 7 or my HD4770s.

I have used CCC and Driver Sweeper and the ATI uninstall utility since day one with Windows 7 without any problems. It's the only way to truly do a clean uninstall and clean install.
Again not a single problem with Windows 7 or my HD4770s.

Oh, well then it must not have happened to me in the past. My apologies.

NO. Windows vista+ (meaning vista and 7) Use the new WDDM 1.1 it "unloads" the windows driver (your screen goes black) then it loads the new driver and you don't even have to restart when you upgrade your drivers. I've yet to restart my PC after upgrading my drivers in the past 14 months i've been using vista/7

wrong...with Vista the computer still requires a restart...it's only with Windows 7 where it does not

wrong...with Vista the computer still requires a restart...it's only with Windows 7 where it does not

Wrong.

WDDM 1.0 brought with it the ability to not have to reboot to change out your video driver. AMD released a driver pack (cat 7.9 or 7.10 or so I think) that brought that ability to Radeons. I haven't had to reboot a system due to video card drivers since then.

Nvidia on the other hand always required reboots in Vista. Thus why I didn't bother updating my laptops driver very much. I haven't bothered updating them in Windows 7 either because the newest ones are unstable and crash the desktop on my laptop.

But back on topic:

No I don't use driver cleaner. Haven't used it since the move to Vista. I just install over top per AMD's instructions. Haven't had a problem ever.

Wrong.

WDDM 1.0 brought with it the ability to not have to reboot to change out your video driver. AMD released a driver pack (cat 7.9 or 7.10 or so I think) that brought that ability to Radeons. I haven't had to reboot a system due to video card drivers since then.

Nvidia on the other hand always required reboots in Vista. Thus why I didn't bother updating my laptops driver very much. I haven't bothered updating them in Windows 7 either because the newest ones are unstable and crash the desktop on my laptop.

But back on topic:

No I don't use driver cleaner. Haven't used it since the move to Vista. I just install over top per AMD's instructions. Haven't had a problem ever.

but i thought nvidia drivers were stable :p

I use it with CCleaner & I've never had any kind of issue as of yet. All my system run great =).

XP was the one that could load up bits and pieces to screw you all up. Vista sofar doesn't seem to do retarded stuff like that. I haven't even bothered to uninstall my drivers and I have just been installing the latest drivers like normal for every single driver release for over a year now. No issues no slowdowns. If I had done the same in XP I would possibly be having problems, but vista just handles drivers better.

Terry Makedon the maker of catalyst said no. I didn't listen, ran it, and totally fucked my windows 7 install. Had to re-install windows.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

ouch. never in my life have i used driver clean

Back