Do you remember this psu? (2 x 500 or 550's in 1 case)

BitchBreaker

[H]ard|Gawd
I remember a psu from a few years back, that was ridiculously long, and housed 2 500w or so psu's tied together?

I'm not interested in the guts, but the case for a current project. looking for any info regarding them, or if anyone knows of a psu that has a HUGE (bigger then my antec 1kw) case!

I remember a psu from a few years back, that was ridiculously long, and housed 2 500w or so psu's tied together?
Yeah. It's called the Channel Well Tech PUC platform, also known as the Corsair HX1000, Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W/1200W/1500W, and a whole bunch of other models from various brands.

Nope, that's 1 PCB, the unit I'm referring to had 2 individual psu's in it, like Johnny posted, except they were end to end, not on top of each other.

Keep thinking! guys, It's been eating at me for weeks now :(

Nope, But to give a bit more direction, the PSU in question is normal form factor, but about 2x as long as a old ocz 600adj..

There was the Antec Phantom 500w that was passive and was dual 250w inverted on top of one another. This was a design that was pioneered by PC Power & Cooling from back in the day. They made (when 250w was a lot) a 400w unit that was dual 200's inverted in a single housing.

a PSU that was really long though? nope, never heard of two PSUs in a single housing that were end to end, like that.

My bad, should've read more carefully. If you're not interested in the guts, though, what is it about the internal housing that you need? Because the HX 1000 is definitely long.

It never came out though right?

Nope. It had the potential to pull too much power from the wall, so it couldn't ever get safety certified.

Even the X3 1600W required the NEMA 5-15 power cord get a circuit breaker in-line in order to get passed.

Thanks for the effort guys!

Need room for my flux capacitor (cant help it, Johnny's forums had the need moar jiggawatt's)

But really, I need the room to house 2 866a half wave rectifiers, and a 700v 750va transformer. It's for a tube amp power supply.

It might have been, but I was working side by side with OCZ at that time in life, and don't remember ever getting one of them.. so unlikely.

I just remember it being a prototype thing that never actually came out. For the tube amp, would you mind an extruded aluminum heatsink? I may be able to direct you to some of those.

Your referring to that external unit, that had the little breakout box that mounted where a normal psu would be, that's not the one I'm referring to.

As I said, Take 2 psu's, put them END to END not top to bottom, or any other combination. and Voila!, you have the psu In question :)

Not really digging the aluminum housing's for this deal, it wont be easy to patina aluminum in any other form then oxide, or that costly brass/copper impregnation thing they do to prep aluminum for plating.

Ill give this a few more weeks while I work out my current figures for this project, after that, if we dont have a answer, ill have my sheet metal guy bend us up some nice stainless psu cases, 2x the size of my tp1kw, and then ill be set.

Naturally ill have a few extra built in the event you guys want one.

Kinda neat being back here on [H].... I'm a thing of the past now :) I doubt anyone here even remembers me.

I remember the PCP&C Turbocool 1 KW being a couple PSUs mashed into one case. According to the [H] review the case is 9" long, which would make it pretty close to being 2x as long as your typical lower powered PSU.

Why don't you just make your own case? With a bit of sheet metal, a brake, a drill, and some rivets or screws it would be trivial to do and would save you the trouble and cost of having to buy a PSU and modify it to suit your needs.

I have a sheet metal guy, and I'm not going to worry about buying a case I want...

recession is not suppressing my line of work.

prostitutes still need a pimp, and we all know I'm [H]ard on [H]oes.

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should spend extra money instead of doing something in a cheaper and better way, but whatever, it's your money and your project.

And I appreciate your contribution man! without guys like you, id have never found my case! and I see the appreciable "geek" hack value as being unobtanium in a 1off item, last case ONLY as a resort for me ;)

The Ultra 1600W case is just as big and has the cool zig zag cuts in the side. If you're going to gut a PSU for the housing, I'd use that one.

Of course, unless you don't like the zig zag cuts...

Oh... yeah. The PCP&C uses an 80MM fan to cool instead of a 140MM. Gotcha. You don't need the fan.

Someone emailed me about this thread last night, but glad to see you found Gabe's article. There is also a thread here in the forums about that OCZ unit. It never went into production for rather obvious reasons.

Thanks for the effort guys!

Need room for my flux capacitor (cant help it, Johnny's forums had the need moar jiggawatt's)

But really, I need the room to house 2 866a half wave rectifiers, and a 700v 750va transformer. It's for a tube amp power supply.

Building a antenna melting linear are we?

Back