Do you really need z390 for 9900k?

Nebell

2[H]4U
I have preordered 9900k, but I'm using Z370. The one I'm using is Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming which is a micro-ATX motherboard.
I would like to try and get 5ghz on 9900k. Do you think that I need to upgrade?

There was talk of z390 having a more robust power delivery for an 8 core cpu.

Sounds like hokum

Yeah, but I read that you're gimped if you use 370. Lower performance and worse overclocking.

I have preordered 9900k, but I'm using Z370. The one I'm using is Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming which is a micro-ATX motherboard.

The Z370-G already vrm throttles in synthetic benchmarks with a highly overclocked 8700K(5.2ghz) without a LOT of airflow. 5ghz 9900K will definitely VRM throttle in some scenarios. Personally I would pick up a Z390 Maximus XI Gene whenever it's available and go with that.

On the other hand, there's no harm in trying and switching out the motherboard later if you feel like it.

Be sure you update your BIOS to latest before swapping out the chips. The 9-series BIOS are fairly recent and your machine won't work with the new chip without it.

The Z370-G already vrm throttles in synthetic benchmarks with a highly overclocked 8700K(5.2ghz) without a LOT of airflow. 5ghz 9900K will definitely VRM throttle in some scenarios. Personally I would pick up a Z390 Maximus XI Gene whenever it's available and go with that.

On the other hand, there's no harm in trying and switching out the motherboard later if you feel like it.

This sucks, but I would like a micro-atx motherboard because my whole build is based on that.

This sucks, but I would like a micro-atx motherboard because my whole build is based on that.

The Z390 Maximus XI Gene IS mATX, that's why I suggested it. It's not quite available yet in stores I don't think, but it's a Maximus product so it should have a higher-end VRM. There wasn't a high-end Asus mATX in Z370 at all, so it is nice that Asus brought it back.

The last time they made a high-end mATX was Z170 I believe.

The Z390 Maximus XI Gene IS mATX, that's why I suggested it. It's not quite available yet in stores I don't think, but it's a Maximus product so it should have a higher-end VRM. There wasn't a high-end Asus mATX in Z370 at all, so it is nice that Asus brought it back.

The last time they made a high-end mATX was Z170 I believe.

The price on it is pretty high though, €400 so that's a no go. My guess is that any z390 should work as they are a refresh made to support the new CPUs.
MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC is half the price and might go for that one. If it turns out that I need a new mobo.

Hopefully the Z370 will be just fine. For me it's the difference between a drop-in, and a wholesale scrap for AMD.

Might just need to put some direct airflow on those VRMs if they do throttle due to the heat. Synthetic benchmarks are usually well above normal use so it's also likely you won't have a problem.

So many of us are running Max X Heros - I really hope these boards do well with the i9.

Thread is a bit old but I remembered seeing it and since I've begun work on swapping in a 9900k into an ASRock z370 figured I'd jump in to say it works.
Immediately cranked it up 5ghz and it can handle it, even with the pretty average cooling its currently got. I get the feeling I could probably push it for another 100 or 200 megahertz, but I'd definitely want to put better cooling on it for that, and at that point power might start to be an issue since the motherboard just has a single 8 pin EPS.

^^ Are you having to run an AVX offset?
Mine gets here tomorrow - I’m hoping for 5.0/5.0 all cores.

So many of us are running Max X Heros - I really hope these boards do well with the i9.

I got my CPU but haven’t yet figured out the best setup for the Hero X.

Just at default Intel settings it’s going straight to all 4.7’s and 180W, then dropping down to 95W @ all core 4.0.

Lots of tinkering ahead, and I wish I could monitor VRM temp.

^^ Are you having to run an AVX offset?
Mine gets here tomorrow - I’m hoping for 5.0/5.0 all cores.
Nope, I set the offset to 0 and it doesn't seem to have any trouble with it. Gets a bit toasty when benchmarking, but I'm going to have better water cooling for it in the case it's eventually going in.

Got mine up yesterday. Swapped out the 8086k in about 5m and used the exact same overclock and voila! 5.0/5.0 stable on all cores.

This CPU freakin rocks. Now I want another one.

Got mine up yesterday. Swapped out the 8086k in about 5m and used the exact same overclock and voila! 5.0/5.0 stable on all cores.

dang that's magic. impressive.

A Z-390 does not guarantee higher clocks, and in some cases are worse than the Z-370 counterparts. More than likely, you are limited by cooling.

Besides, you should upgrade to a Z-170:
https://www.techpowerup.com/250109/...0-ghz-overclock-on-a-z170-chipset-motherboard

I just got a 9900k, and used it on a Hero X. Easily got to [email protected], and its been running Prime95 Smallfft stable for the past hour, no throttling. VRM temp seems to settle around 89*C (no direct airflow, but semi-open case). Hopefully I can get it to 5.1GHz with a bit more work.

I just got a 9900k, and used it on a Hero X. Easily got to [email protected], and its been running Prime95 Smallfft stable for the past hour, no throttling. VRM temp seems to settle around 89*C (no direct airflow, but semi-open case). Hopefully I can get it to 5.1GHz with a bit more work.
Running any AVX offset?

Yes, -3 AVX offset. Havent tested any higher offset yet. Damn wife is occupying the computer, lol.

MFtYc4t.png

funny thing is my VRM temp doesn't go above 60c with same settings.

He's referencing the phase changes in the XI series.
Also "trash" is an exaggeration.

Like I said, it's just what I've been seeing. Trash not being the appropriate verbiage; the VRM is just not as good as other boards in its price bracket.

Like I said, it's just what I've been seeing. Trash not being the appropriate verbiage; the VRM is just not as good as other boards in its price bracket.

But seems sufficient without using a terrible UEFI, having coil wine, or terrible sound.

I mean yeah it should never have been advertised as 8 phase but they pulled those claims at least.

I would suggest you would actually not know that without ripple testing. A VRM phase number had long been overhyped IMO. Yeah different VRM work differently. Even getting down to efficiency, you have to be pushing balls to wall to find a team difference. This is more faux outage from the new Tech-SJWs that are looking for clicks.

I dropped a 9900k in my Z370 Asrock Extreme 4 last week. no issues. I don't overclock but I see my speeds hit 5 ghz every so often under loads.

This is a really... aggressive way to describe Buildzoid and GN. Especially when everyone who watches these videos should know that Buildzoid always reviews boards from the perspective of an LN2 overclocker.
Hmm. I did not write that, but put it where you think it sticks best. All this up in arms crap is about missteps in marketing. Bla bla bla.

Depends exclusively on vrm and BIOS update. Even a good Z170 board will run 9900K at 5GHz+.

Back