Do You Pronounce it GIF or JIF?

Uh, I never said that ou said something was over my head, I said what I said was over your head. My laptop keyboard has been shitty, and it takes too much effort to correct all the time.

But yea, I didn't backpedal.
you said, "What I said was obviousyl over our head too" It's the inclusion of the word "too" meaning in addition to or also, implying that I said something was over your head. Does your shitty laptop keyboard impair your reading comprehension as well?

These laptop gizmos are tricky, yes?

You said it was lost on me, so I was comparing the two. Also, I would facepalm when I thought it was easy to pick up but apparently so.

Yes, they are tricky, when a keyboard doesn't really type everything.

Sounds like you put some Vaseline on your butthurt atleast.

You said it was lost on me, so I was comparing the two. Also, I would facepalm when I thought it was easy to pick up but apparently so.

Yes, they are tricky, when a keyboard doesn't really type everything.

Sounds like you put some Vaseline on your butthurt atleast.
Stop, you're making me giddy.

If the intentor says its JIF, then its JIF. Shrug....
80419-dwight-schrute-shaking-head-NO-tewr.gif

But gif is an acronym and not a word. Graphics Interchange Format, therefore; it is a hard g because it represents the word graphics. Guy in the video is a dumbass and the inventor of jif isn't so smart either.

Acronyms don't work that way, you say it as its own word.

If the intentor says its JIF, then its JIF. Shrug....

When people bring this point up...

what about star wars? people give lucas shit all the time, trying to create their own storylines and disagreeing with him at every step.

That is okay to, disagree with the creator, but not the GIF creator?:meh:

When people bring this point up...

what about star wars? people give lucas shit all the time, trying to create their own storylines and disagreeing with him at every step.

That is okay to, disagree with the creator, but not the GIF creator?:meh:
You can disagree but really the person who discovers something usually gets to name it. The name also includes the pronunciation.

Acronyms don't work that way, you say it as its own word.

Wrong, it has already been pointed out in this thread that Lincoln said you pronounce as close as to what the letter represents, and he is right.

Wrong, it has already been pointed out in this thread that Lincoln said you pronounce as close as to what the letter represents, and he is right.

I would agree with this. TRY being the operative word. Obviously some acronyms just don't sound right that way, like SCUBA as everyone keeps trying to point out. If you pronounced it SCUH-BUH it would sound like some form of Jamaican dub music or something. :D There are other ones that just sound more "correct" (for lack of better term there) by fudging the sounds a bit. However, if you CAN pronounce it with the closest possible letter sounds, then you SHOULD do it that way. GIF works fine with the hard G, so it should be pronounced with it. Unless you're not quite right in the head, (like the idiot who created the format :p )

This is all completely theoretical though because everyone knows the fucking G is silent in GIF. Dummies!

I would agree with this. TRY being the operative word. Obviously some acronyms just don't sound right that way, like SCUBA as everyone keeps trying to point out. If you pronounced it SCUH-BUH it would sound like some form of Jamaican dub music or something. :D There are other ones that just sound more "correct" (for lack of better term there) by fudging the sounds a bit. However, if you CAN pronounce it with the closest possible letter sounds, then you SHOULD do it that way. GIF works fine with the hard G, so it should be pronounced with it. Unless you're not quite right in the head, (like the idiot who created the format :p )

This is all completely theoretical though because everyone knows the fucking G is silent in GIF. Dummies!
What, you don't spell "ünderwater" with an umlaut?

The GIF that keeps on giving. :p

And it's hard G gigawatts, not "jiggawatts" just b/c that's how Dr. Brown mispronounced it in Back to the Future!

"Jiggawatt" is an acceptable pronunciation actually... look it up folks, it's basically the "old school" way to do it... just like, perhaps, "Jif" will be the oldschool way in the future?

"Jiggawatt" is an acceptable pronunciation actually... look it up folks, it's basically the "old school" way to do it... just like, perhaps, "Jif" will be the oldschool way in the future?
I can actually agree with this one because its Latin origin is pronounced with a soft 'G' and was the accepted pronunciation in the US at the time Back to the Future was released. However, I can actually attest that I have personally never heard anyone pronounce giga- with a soft 'G' in my 32 years on this planet aside from that one instance in the aforementioned film.

Back