Do You Pronounce it GIF or JIF?

SQL and RAID are really the only exceptions that I have. I'll say those as words. But if you're a grown ass man saying the word gooey or scuzzy (as in GUI and SCSI) then I just don't know what to say to you.

Well it is guaranteed whatever you say to me is going to take you forever because you have to pronounce every single letter. :D

That's how I've always heard it in relation to those... I used to call it Nome as in one word, silent G. Then, I heard it several times at a Linux conference video and I changed my ways...

Interesting. That one already is basically a word so why they'd say it differently is beyond me.

I question the need for two letters representing the exact same sound.

g should only be used for soft g (graphics, etc) J should be used in all other situations.

Don't even get me started on c and x. Those two letters shouldn't even exist!

How would you spell or say choice, chosen, chapter, etc...

I'm dutch speaking so gif, although in some dialect users here would call it a hif.

people who like metal are younger, therefore have less manhood

and yes there are exceptions to almost every rule, and in this case it should be pronounced JIF...

No... Metallica and Slayer are not kids. Meshuggah and Gojira are not kids. Kids like Bieber and Swift. JIF is something that goes with jelly.

Embrace your primordial instincts and say it...

Say GIF...

It will put hair on your chest...

So much buttmad in this thread...

Seems to only be coming from a certain few individuals who are getting WAY too worked up about it.

Call it GIF or JIF, I don't really care. I reserve the right to think you are silly for saying JIF though. :p

FWIW I've never heard anyone in real life say "JIF" when referring to GIF.

If the person responsible for the creation of the image format says it's "JIF" like the peanut butter, then who the fuck are any of us to say he's wrong? He created it, he named it, case closed.

Hell, the next thing you know we'll be moving on to data (day-tuh) vs data (dat-uh) then SATA (say-tuh) vs SATA (sat-uh) and so on and so forth ad nauseum. :D

It DOES matter, and people that pronounce it "jiff" should be sterilized by the government and put into labor camps.

Because no one calls a "gift card" a "jift card" (that deserves to continue to consume our oxygen), so dropping the "t" its still a gif.

So I suppose all those people named Gerry (yes, with the J sound to it) should be put into those labor camps as well, eh?

NOT.

Lol. This argument fails.

Tough = Tuff
Dough = Doh

Doughnut = Duffnut?

Also, this 'discussion' will live on forever as long as the format is used. Never mind the fact that the creator confirmed the way he intended it to sound.
What about the name Dougherty? "Dock-er-ty" versus "Daw-er-ty" versus "Do-er-ty?" Would that be "Duff-er-ty" in The Simpsons universe?
SCSI = Scuzzy
GUI = Gooey
LOL = Lawl
spelling out the letters results in a nut/vag-punch
I guess we're not bros. I pronounce "LOL" as "lull;" as in, there is a lull in my work as I laugh at internet memes.
If the person responsible for the creation of the image format says it's "JIF" like the peanut butter, then who the fuck are any of us to say he's wrong? He created it, he named it, case closed.

Hell, the next thing you know we'll be moving on to data (day-tuh) vs data (dat-uh) then SATA (say-tuh) vs SATA (sat-uh) and so on and so forth ad nauseum. :D
It's "dat-uh" and "sat-uh." There can be no dissent! So sayeth the Leader of the Internet.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Ford_Lays_Down_The_Smack.jpg

Steve Wilhite, the inventor of the widely used Web illustration, declared it should bepronounced “jif,” like the brand of peanut butter, rather than with a hard G sound.

And he's wrong. So there!

It "jif" only if you pronounce graphics as "jraphics"

Exactly!

All this tells us, is that the guy that created the format is an eff-tard!

people who like metal are younger, therefore have less manhood

and yes there are exceptions to almost every rule, and in this case it should be pronounced JIF...

57759631.jpg

Over it, you must JET? :p

I say it like GIF because the JIF peanut butter came first and I didn't want to pronounce both of them the same way. I have also never heard it as JIF from any human before.

I really needed a good laugh today and this thread definitely gave me plenty. Thanks guys.

If I want peanut butter I'll say JIF.

If I want a static or animated picture it is GIF.

Jif is a brand of peanut butter. Gif is a type of image file.

Sorry that some people are confused about that. You should probably go back to school.

Back