Do you prefer Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Do you prefer Windows 7 or Windows 8?

• Total voters
Kind if a hard question. W8, but I can deal with 7 no problem and if I had a desktop with 7 I wouldn't spend $100 to upgrade. The differences are minor. The new start menu I like, but other then that W8 is practically a face lifted 7.

Kind if a hard question. W8, but I can deal with 7 no problem and if I had a desktop with 7 I wouldn't spend $100 to upgrade. The differences are minor. The new start menu I like, but other then that W8 is practically a face lifted 7.

I feel that way about 8/8.1, a face lifted Windows 7. I feel like 8 is faster overall and what really helped me upgrade was being able to get 2 copies for $15.

8. Runs some games faster than 7, has been more stable for me and I don't mind the Tile interface one bit.

Interface issues aside, I've had lockups with Windows even putting stuff on my utility monitor. Other times it locks up seemingly randomly. Not often mind you, but it isn't nearly as stable as 7 was in my experience.

Interface issues aside, I've had lockups with Windows even putting stuff on my utility monitor. Other times it locks up seemingly randomly. Not often mind you, but it isn't nearly as stable as 7 was in my experience.

I've also had bad experience with Win8 on my Virtualbox. It's very choppy and crashes if the screensaver activates. I had to disable the power functions to keep the VM alive.

I'm not sure if it's a Virtualbox issue or Win8 to blame. Win7 works fine anyway.

The host machine is a high-end 2013 MBP with ssds, bells and whistles so resources are not the culprit.

I haven't had any issues with either that weren't user error.

I've also had bad experience with Win8 on my Virtualbox. It's very choppy and crashes if the screensaver activates. I had to disable the power functions to keep the VM alive.

I'm not sure if it's a Virtualbox issue or Win8 to blame. Win7 works fine anyway.

The host machine is a high-end 2013 MBP with ssds, bells and whistles so resources are not the culprit.

It say Virtualbox problem. I had issues with windows 8 and virtual box but a standard install caused no issues.

Probably been stated but what about windows 8 with a 3rd party app? That should of been an option too.

Interesting. Personally, I haven't had a hard lock on either - go figure. ;) I think you're the first person I've read (in the last week - short term memory) who's mentioned Windows 8 locking on them.

Probably been stated but what about windows 8 with a 3rd party app? That should of been an option too.

Like I also stated, what about Windows 7 with 3rd party app? It's not like those don't exist.

Like I also stated, what about Windows 7 with 3rd party app? It's not like those don't exist.

I havnt tried using classic shell(or one of the others) with windows 7. It might be good.

It say Virtualbox problem. I had issues with windows 8 and virtual box but a standard install caused no issues.

Well one of the conditions that does cause it for sure is using the fourth (accessory) monitor with NVSurround setups. After disabling that monitor it only happened once. That could very well have been a third party application issue. NVIDIA's 331.21 WHQL drivers address the fourth monitor issue so it could simply be NVIDIA's fault rather than Windows 8.1's / Microsoft's.

Regardless I've had far less trouble with Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 than I have with 8.1. Other issues are really just design related. Simple things like shutting down or restarting your PC are made more difficult than they need to be. There is a setting in Windows 8.1 to make some of those things easier with a right click on the so called start menu, but honestly they shouldn't make user friendly functionality a setting or an option. The OS should just be that way.

I havnt tried using classic shell(or one of the others) with windows 7. It might be good.

Start menu replacements aren't limited to ClassicShell and the like. There's also completely revamped ones like Rainmeter.

Start menu replacements aren't limited to ClassicShell and the like. There's also completely revamped ones like Rainmeter.

Whatever helps win 8 out, im all for it, and if it works good on 7, that's good too.

I dont use a lot of the features so I am good with the basics.

So looking at the vote count at the time of this posting, it's 59 for Windows 7 and 54 for Windows 8. I understand that this isn't a scientific survey and they there will be accusations of Windows 8 fanboys stacking the poll and such. But I've seen a number of these surveys on various forums for some time now, and for an OS that many claim everyone hates, it actually seems to hold it's own pretty well against the most widely distributed desktop OS of all time in Windows 7.

Obviously Windows 8.x has its issues on the desktop, but I don't think that those issues totally negate Windows 8. There are architectural improvements, much better ability to run on tablets and just those that appreciate the changes even on a desktop.

So looking at the vote count at the time of this posting, it's 59 for Windows 7 and 54 for Windows 8. I understand that this isn't a scientific survey and they there will be accusations of Windows 8 fanboys stacking the poll and such. But I've seen a number of these surveys on various forums for some time now, and for an OS that many claim everyone hates, it actually seems to hold it's own pretty well against the most widely distributed desktop OS of all time in Windows 7.

Obviously Windows 8.x has its issues on the desktop, but I don't think that those issues totally negate Windows 8. There are architectural improvements, much better ability to run on tablets and just those that appreciate the changes even on a desktop.

But as usual, how many use the 3rd party software to make it like win 7.

8 is fine, just no reason to upgrade from 7 imo. If I were to buy a new license I'd go 8. Otherwise my 7 pro install suits me fine.

Do you have a stash of excuses for Windows 8?
Whenever there is even a sniff of it, you are there selling it.

Why do you care so much about this vote?
What is your affiliation?

You might be wrong if you are possibly under the assumption I use the "start screen" ;)

True! I don't even use keyboard shortcuts. I just like the plain old point, click and be done GUI. I haven't needed anything else. When I reload win 7, it just works, no changes, and its done.
I will switch when the OS has something that I need it to do that win 7 cant.

I actually liked 8 besides the usual.

Heh Nenu the magic letters are F and B and not referring to FaceBook. :D

Eery match to Public Enemys song that went something like this.. Yeeaaaa boiiiii... how low can you go. :p

I've been running windows 8 since launch. I've seen metro screen maybe 3-4 times.

Metro is a non-issue for me.

I've been running windows 8 since launch. I've seen metro screen maybe 3-4 times.

Metro is a non-issue for me.

thats the same point ive been argueing ever since i switched to windows 8. People just judgew it by it cover. sickening........

No I judge it by the massive pile of incompatibility issues I had. Games and mods didn't work correctly. Software would not function. for instance ZSNES and Winamp, I have used them since win 98 days, they have worked issue free in every version of windows from 98 to 7, but win 8. no sirree. Sickening.......

It is definitely a virtualbox issues. Ever since the .3 version, it has been much more unstable. With a Mac, Parallels is the way to go.

No I judge it by the massive pile of incompatibility issues I had. Games and mods didn't work correctly. Software would not function. for instance ZSNES and Winamp, I have used them since win 98 days, they have worked issue free in every version of windows from 98 to 7, but win 8. no sirree. Sickening.......

two words: COMPATIBILITY MODE

Winamp should work just fine on 8 and is listed on the Winamp site as 8 compatible.

Was agreeing with you actually.
Sorry I can see how that was confusing.

But yeah, Winamp is my only audio playback program. Never a single issue with both 8 and 8.1

Was agreeing with you actually.
Sorry I can see how that was confusing.

But yeah, Winamp is my only audio playback program. Never a single issue with both 8 and 8.1

Sorry about the confusion, I was in agreement with you as well.

another great thing about windows 8 is the marektplace in metro. when i get bored i can go play hill climb or checkers or download an other game right from my pc.

another great thing about windows 8 is the marektplace in metro. when i get bored i can go play hill climb or checkers or download an other game right from my pc.

Hill Climb is a great little tablet game, much harder than it looks.

Back