Do you prefer Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Do you prefer Windows 7 or Windows 8?

• Total voters
Windows 8 without Metro should be option #3 else pointless poll

Windows 7. I really wish I could say 8 because of all the great improvements they've made, but I cannot support Modern/Metro UI.

I also think that anyone who uses a Start Menu replacement on 8 should not vote that you "prefer 8" because it creates an illusion that people prefer Metro/Modern UI. A better poll question would be do you prefer 7, do you prefer 8 with modern UI, or do you prefer 8 with start menu replacement.

Windows 7. I really wish I could say 8 because of all the great improvements they've made, but I cannot support Modern/Metro UI. I also think that anyone who uses a Start Menu replacement on 8 should not vote that you "prefer 8" because it creates an illusion that people prefer Metro/Modern UI. A better poll question would be do you prefer 7, do you prefer 8 with modern UI, or do you prefer 8 with start menu replacement.

Agree. I want Windows start menu unless I am using a touch device. My vote goes to Windows 7.

Last edited:
Win7 is just about perfect as far as I'm concerned. Got the wife a laptop for Christmas with 8 on it and I hate it. Upgraded to 8.1 and I still hate it. Absolutely no way I'd "upgrade" from 7 to 8. It's not that it doesn't work or is faulty, just that the UI and controls just suck and of course Metro is crap and as silly as it may sound, I gotta have my start button. Yeah 8.1 brings it back but all it does is take you from the desktop to Metro! I think it's silly that I have to make a shortcut for Control Panel and My Computer just so I can navigate around like normal. Not to mention I had to Google how to shut the fucking thing down because I couldn't find it. Yeah, fuck Win8. Fuck em in the ear.

I run 8.1 and make the changes in properties so my control panel and all come up when i click on the start button. Also turn off all the windows 8 programs that full screen pictures and videos. Runs great after that.

Windows 8. There - I said it. It feels snappier than 7 did, does everything that 7 did for me as well. Only omission is XP mode, which my XP rig takes care of superbly.

Win7 is just about perfect as far as I'm concerned. Got the wife a laptop for Christmas with 8 on it and I hate it. Upgraded to 8.1 and I still hate it. Absolutely no way I'd "upgrade" from 7 to 8. It's not that it doesn't work or is faulty, just that the UI and controls just suck and of course Metro is crap and as silly as it may sound, I gotta have my start button. Yeah 8.1 brings it back but all it does is take you from the desktop to Metro! I think it's silly that I have to make a shortcut for Control Panel and My Computer just so I can navigate around like normal. Not to mention I had to Google how to shut the fucking thing down because I couldn't find it. Yeah, fuck Win8. Fuck em in the ear.

So right click on the Start Button in 8.1 and everything you just mentioned is there, File Explorer which takes you to This PC (formerly Computer), Control Panel and all of the Shutdown and log off options.

I was originally in love with Win7 and I despised what I learned of Win8.

When I finally got into 8 for more than 5 minutes... I learned that I liked W8 way more than I thought I would. The new Windows Explorer copy dialogs, the new Win+X menu shortcut, the new disk Optimizer w/ Trim, and I learned I could avoid metro and reinstall all my W7 gadgets. I'm happier than I thought I would be.

I use 7 at work and 8.1 at home. Since I installed Start8 they are pretty much the same to me. I like them both.
I recently bought my father-in-law one of those convertible tablets and with the combination of touch screen and portability, Windows 8 actually makes a lot more sense.

I love Windows 7. :) I prefer Windows 8, though. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7 at all. It's excellent. But, I still prefer Windows 8. It's great. An improvement over Windows 7, even with a few flaws that I've found.

8. Runs some games faster than 7, has been more stable for me and I don't mind the Tile interface one bit.

W8.1

I don't use many applications so I can reach everything from the taskbar.
I haven't seen a Start screen in months with unmodded 8.1.
Occasionally I use "all apps" (set to WIN) or WIN+X for control panel etc.

Start menu what? ....Actually kinda pissed they brought the button back. Waste of taskbar space. (not that I need it)

I signed up with Bing with Windows 8 and I get free amazon gift cards after doing a thousand searches or so =)

Windows 8.2 Menu might be cool indeed and put that Metro interface on the back burner.

I prefer Windows 7. But Windows 8 gave me more performance in BF4, so that's what I'm using (Classic Shell deserves all the cookies).

Maybe I'll change that answer if 8.2 is everything they're hinting at. Maybe.

I have mixed feelings. I don't think Windows 8's interface added anything, but the environment seems more stable and snappy. As great as 7 was on the surface, I had technical issues with it for years.

I was skeptical of Win8 at first due to all the negativity surrounding it, which is mostly Metro/Modern UI related.

Over the holiday I decided to install Win8.1, and after configuring it to be Desktop oriented and minimize Metro/Modern app interaction, I can now say that I prefer Win8's improvements (file operations is one as someone mentioned) in Desktop mode over Win7.

I miss aeroglass, for about a minute... but the overall experience imo is improved.

Wrong. There is no windows with Metro(tm).
43655-carlton-dancing-gif-8Bku.gif

I was skeptical of Win8 at first due to all the negativity surrounding it, which is mostly Metro/Modern UI related.

Over the holiday I decided to install Win8.1, and after configuring it to be Desktop oriented and minimize Metro/Modern app interaction, I can now say that I prefer Win8's improvements (file operations is one as someone mentioned) in Desktop mode over Win7.

I miss aeroglass, for about a minute... but the overall experience imo is improved.

This. Once you get into Windows 8 and tweak it how you want it is great, at least imo.

8, but I am not a fan of 8.1, it really just seems like they shuffled things around a bit more.

Been using 8 since it came out with very little issues.

The only real problem I can remember is having fullscreen games end up minimizing due to losing focus on that window whenever my mouse went to the corners of the screen. Installing ClassicShell and later Start8 fixed it as I was able to disable the hot corners.

I was quickly playing around with Win 8 (1st time) on a laptop last week. I was looking around for the Control Panel for maybe around 2 or 3 minutes. I gave up and decided to do a search on "Control Panel".

I wouldn't mind using it for a tablet I suppose since I am interested in a Win Tablet after Intel releases Cherry Trail or Willow Trail Atom CPUs. But for a desktop or laptop.... HELL NO!!!

Windows 8 without Metro should be option #3 else pointless poll

Perhaps we should add Windows 7 with alternative UI to the poll then? Because those exist too you know.

Rolling 8.1 here, while I don't think there's a reason to upgrade from 7. I do however recommend jumping straight to 8.1 if you're building a new rig or buying a new machine in general. If you really hate the Modern UI, you can just get any one of the dozens of Start Menu replacements.

That being said, in a my work environment I still stick with 7 for obvious reasons.

On Win 8.1 since late October. Customized it for desktop use only and i'm impressed.
No compatibility issues, and performance is smooth across the board. Received a nice performance boost in Battlefield 4 especially.

A Win 8 vote for me.

Windows 8.1 with Charms Bar disabled, hot corners disabled. Love it.

I pretty much use Windows the same way I've used Windows 3.1. Most used shortcuts on the desktop and a folder with more shortcuts to lesser used programs.

Back