Do you lose speed Partitioning NVME and What is Cache Enhancement for NVME SSDs

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I just got a WD SN750. First time ever using an NVME. I was looking at the reviews and the top review, the guy was getting record seq read writes:
cacheenhancement.JPG

He attributed it to 4GB Ram Cache enhancement. I wanted to see if you guys know what this is? If it makes much of a difference and if so, how to implement it?

And do you lose speed partitioning an NVME? I have a 1TB that will contain two windows 10 OSs and a data partition

Hi all, I just got a WD SN750. First time ever using an NVME. I was looking at the reviews and the top review, the guy was getting record seq read writes:
View attachment 317777
He attributed it to 4GB Ram Cache enhancement. I wanted to see if you guys know what this is? If it makes much of a difference and if so, how to implement it?

Well yeah, a chunk of RAM that is orders of magnitude faster than an SSD is acting as a buffer. Of course it's going to inflate the benchmarks. It's nothing that will be applicable or noticeable to most any real-world usage.

Unless I had load of otherwise useless RAM in the system (a waste of cash), I'd rather just leave it to the OS and apps to utilize.

(edit: typos)

Last edited:
maybe the same thing as samsungs rapid mode. i can't tell any difference

I'm guessing that the 4GB is just a WD branded RAMcache, not sure of the exact details but if you have spare ram I'd say keep using it. I have 20GB of dedicated RAMcache in my system through a different source (Primocache) and it makes a pretty big difference.

I'm guessing the WD version is a simpler, less customizable, idiotproof option.

Primocache works very well on my WD NVMe drive. Might keep the program free for 30 days. Have it set for roughly 12gigs of system memory out of 32.
The OP may want to give it a shot.

if your using a NVME SSd don't see much point in ramcache (unless its caching the hdd as well)

your really only going to notice the ramcache doing server loads or if it caches writes (witch can result in a trashed filesystem)

Back